ADA style 20 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
ADA style 20 gallon

Since I have a lot to learn about aquascaping, I thought the best way to learn would be to copy the ADA style. I think I read in a Japanese landscaping book that wood and rocks should not be used together. I noticed in the aquajournals that when Amano did use both, it was only in a layered type fashion. Foreground substrate, rocks, wood, and background substrate. Here are some examples:

I've used diamond black in place of peat in the past, on a recommendation from Erik from e-aquaria.com. I'm very picky about water clarity, and have found that using peat or mulm can create problems. This time around I used a bunch of diamond black to see what would happen. It is dark like aquasoil, so it blends in real well. You can find a local dealer here:

http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/wheretobuy.html

I do my slopes at about 4" at the back and 2" in the front. I exagerate it because in the end things kind of get pushed to the front. I've also noticed from ADA setups that the layout materials (wood and rocks) are farther back than the middle of the tank to allow for more room for the foreground. Although perspective wise it looks balanced when the plants grow out.

I was planning on trying out different arrangements, taking pictures, and then picking my favorite one. I got lazy and only did two.

At first I was going to try a centered focus type layout, but I'm thinking about using a right triangle layout with this arrangement. There are some plants that are personal favorites, and others that from seeing them in aquajournal, look great in combination. I'd like to use:

Ranalisma rostrata/Glossostigma mix
Giant hairgrass
Rotala rotundifolia 'Green'
Rotala Magenta / macronda Var narrow leaf

So I changed the hardscape to include the position of the wood that I liked in the first pic and the amount of rocks from the second. Niko thanks for the plants, got the tank setup today, with a few of the species I was hoping for. I plan to work on it some more on friday. I've got some glosso and anubias that have been in my emersed tank, while I was taking a break from the hobby.

Last edited by IUnknown; 07-21-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 06:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
HEY! looks great!
some suggestions, maybe you might wanna reverse the order of the lily pipes so that the intake is in the back and the outtake shoots over the front so the plants in the back wont look they are always slanting when they grow out.
also maybe you can get one more or a couple more pieces of driftwood to even out the structure to have a couple focal points, right now that one piece in the middle is too strong and might detract attention form the rest, maybe more pieces that shoot out on either side (like the left side)

But i love this setup so far! what kind of lights are u using?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For now I'm not focusing to much on the aquascape, but more on getting the tank balanced and the plants growing healthy. One thing that transformed out of accident is the path between to two rocks on the left. When things grow in more, I think it would look nice to exaggerate the path with some foreground plants. I slacked off a little with ferts and checking co2, and some of the plants I received arrived in poor shape, so I had to clean a lot of algae out of the tank. And I'm getting some coloration in the water, either from the driftwood or from the diamond black.

I'm running 2x24W t5 bulbs, 10 hours a day. My KH drops from 140 ppm to 80ppm by the end of the week from the aquasoil. I'm dosing 8mg/l No3 and .5 mg/l three times a week, 3 ml of flourish three times a week. The ferts I mixed up using the fertilizer calculator,
Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb. KH2PO4
2tsp(11.2 grams) added to a 500mL container will add .24 P04(17 gallons water column)
for every mL dosed.
Target = .5 ppm
Potassium Nitrate 1 lb. KNO3
7 tbsp (109 grams) added to a 500mL container will add 2ppm No3 (17 gallons water column) for every mL dosed.
Target = 10 ppm

Last edited by IUnknown; 07-21-2006 at 11:09 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I tore down the tank last weekend. I went through every single stem plant and got rid of any bladderwort or snails that I could find. I've placed the stem plants where I want them. Going for a mound type aquascape, with more foreground and middle ground this time around. I'm going to keep track of the growth rate of the different plants and trim things frequently to keep it how I want it.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks good! whats the floating plant ya got?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 03:52 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
looking good. I love the petite nana on the wood coming over the front. Nice job.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. The floating plant is some leftover petite nana and HC.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did you get the rocks from the pottery store in oakland? Have you noticed that rocks sometimes fall/lean down because the AS is so light?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rocks are from aquaforest in S.F. The aquasoil is soft, but it keeps the rocks up.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

AquaSoil actually holds rocks and hardscape materials very well/secure. It is really not all that light.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
It also depends on how deep you put the rocks.

John

Follow on IG: @glassaqua

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90p ADA
5n Ultum Nature
3n Ultum Nature
20c Ultum Nature
20c Ultum Nature
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A little update on the tank. I've tried everything suggested to deal with the GDA. Lights are down to 8 hours a day and the pendant is now 10" from the surface of the water. So I bought some algae fix and I am going to nuke the tank. If the algae fix actually deals with the GDA, then when I stop using it, if the GDA returns, then it must be something wrong with my dosing schedule.

The other thing I started using was flourish excel as an algaecide. I designed the tank a little wrong. Ideally, the Lillie pipes should be on the right side of the tank. The way the water flows, the water near the E. tenellus is usually stagnant. And it shows because the E. tenellus usually gets BBA all over it (indicating low flow and poor Co2). The excel is the secret weapon to get the tank just a little more algae free.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
I really like your tank setup!
Is the wood you are using old black wood?
Do you recall the name of the stone when you bought them?

I am interested in purchasing a few of those E. tenellus when I have my tank setup!

Any plans of fish soon?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
The growth of the petite nana is impressive
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
nice tank, i love ADA styles

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode