new pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new pics

I did some rescaping. The grass is from a local lake as well as some of the stem plants. The angels are home-grown. Please let me know what you think.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Nice! I really like your layout and the open water above the grass. Your green lotus is also growing a lot better than I've ever managed to get mine to!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:01 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks great, very nice layout. I really like the native species, that's always better than importing plants from 1/2 way around the world!

A few comments:
-when taking photos, try doing it when there is NO other light sources in the room (ie at night, lights off ). Also try setting the camera on something. Tripod is best, but I will use chairs/tables/boxes, whatever to keep it absolutely steady.
-I think the right side is cool, but it needs a sense of depth (front to back). I would try to leave 4-5 inches of room to let the grass grow in front of the lotus, wood, and stems.
-not sure what the oval thing is laying in the grass, but not sure that I like it. maybe try to find some native rocks to stick up out of the grass, but not lay flat on it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrieger
Nice! I really like your layout and the open water above the grass. Your green lotus is also growing a lot better than I've ever managed to get mine to!
I probably should know this, but which one is the lotus you are referring to? A lot of these, but not all, were just picked out of a local lake.

SCOTT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Looks great, very nice layout. I really like the native species, that's always better than importing plants from 1/2 way around the world!

A few comments:
-when taking photos, try doing it when there is NO other light sources in the room (ie at night, lights off ). Also try setting the camera on something. Tripod is best, but I will use chairs/tables/boxes, whatever to keep it absolutely steady.
-I think the right side is cool, but it needs a sense of depth (front to back). I would try to leave 4-5 inches of room to let the grass grow in front of the lotus, wood, and stems.
-not sure what the oval thing is laying in the grass, but not sure that I like it. maybe try to find some native rocks to stick up out of the grass, but not lay flat on it.
That is a rock lying in the grass. That is a very good idea about putting grass in front of the(now I know what it is) lotus. I will move all of that back and put some grass in there. Thanks!

Scott

Last edited by ScottMorris; 03-15-2006 at 06:48 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
The lay out is very nice. When the grass fills up its going to look pretty sweet.

Those angels are very nice, I always wanted to get that color type of angel. How big are they?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
can we get a real good close up of that native grass? I like the look of it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

whoa that is awesome. love that grass
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash69x
can we get a real good close up of that native grass? I like the look of it.
Here is a close-up of the grass. I have had it in there about two weeks now. It is really starting to grow. This is my third attempt with this grass. The first two times it melted away within two days. That was planting it into the gravel and adding ferts right afterward.. This time I used mud from the lake bottom, yes, it made a huge mess, but finally got it all in and did not fertilize afterwards. Not sure which made it work or the combination, but it has really taken off now.

Scott

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPob
The lay out is very nice. When the grass fills up its going to look pretty sweet.

Those angels are very nice, I always wanted to get that color type of angel. How big are they?
There 8 Angels total. The two bigger ones are the parents, they are bigger than a half-dollar. The rest are the offspring. Thay are slightly smaller than half-dollar size now. Some people have said the tank is to small for that many, but I have had them for over a year now with no problems. It took me several tries to finally raise the babies. But, it finally worked.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
too bad it isn't more hardy because i would really like to get ahold of some. Looks like i am going to have to settle for dwarf hairgrass in the pots and planting it little by little.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very cool, Scott! Trial and error and keeping at it. I rather like the small open alchove to the right - quite creative IMO. The fish ever spend any time in there?

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Very cool, Scott! Trial and error and keeping at it. I rather like the small open alchove to the right - quite creative IMO. The fish ever spend any time in there?

Yes they do actually. And thanks for the compliment. I think that is one of the most fun parts is trying to make things work.

Scott
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

love the tank beautiful angels to.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

I really like the layout--sort of dramatic. And I like the flat stone. I don't know why, but I do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode