Hillstream loach pic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hillstream loach pic

Here is a pic of one of new hillstream loaches. Gastromyzon ctenocephalus.
These guys are cold water fish living in extreme current conditions, hence my rivertank setup with unidirectional flow.
Very interesting fish to watch as the "fly" about in the heavy current.
Botia)

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Nice pic of a great fish!
Quote:
These guys are cold water fish
I'm quite sure that these little guys are sold under the pretense that they are adaptable to warm conditions (up to 80F!?!). What temp do you keep them at? Are they active, swimming in the current? I REALLY want to get 3-4, but I am very afraid they will boil in my Blue Ram tank.

Last Q: do you think they would do well in a cherry shrimp tank @75F?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They need a lot of algae on rocks glass etc as well algae tabs etc.
They have hemoglobin adapted to high oxygen conditions so they need high O2 levels. 75 would not be that comortable but doable.The big thing is they need high current to feel comfortable which also boosts the 02 levels.
Here is a pic of the tank they are living in. 369gph powerhead powers the spray bar with the input at the far end using aqualcear quick filters. Also 2x aquaclear 200's for filtration.
More like a jacuzzi than a standard tank.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Nice, i saw a good one of these in a book of mine. What plant are all those cool roots coming from?

If i find the book il post some tips in.

Awesome setup.

Edit - Ok, if you remove about a quarter of the water and building up a few rocks to work as a water fall, it looks amazing. The fast flow dropping down also makes a really nice splash or 'white water' which too looks awesome. A small school of minnows should also look awesome in here. How big is it?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Botia, this is one cool tank!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 PM

Great picture and a beautiful fish. What size tank is the rivertank? and what are the inhabitants other than the Hillstream Loach?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Wow, it's like you set that tank up just for that fish! From what I've heard the cherries love current, too, so maybe I can make that a river tank also . . . . hmmmmyesss
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks
It's a 33G, also housing 3 shistura mahnerti brook loaches, 1 acanthacobitis rubidpinnis (cherry fin) loach and some Beaufortia kweichowensis hillstreams.
LF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectblue
Great picture and a beautiful fish. What size tank is the rivertank? and what are the inhabitants other than the Hillstream Loach?

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes the tank was set up just for these fish.Shrimp would be cool and quite safe from hillstreams eating them.
botia
Here is the setup for them that is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Wow, it's like you set that tank up just for that fish! From what I've heard the cherries love current, too, so maybe I can make that a river tank also . . . . hmmmmyesss

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
Incidentally I set up my 50gal like this many moons ago, and found the same problem that you have there, that the gavel seems to blow away!!!!

I raised the outlets a little, and that helped the problem.

I also hat the powerheads and filters hidden behidn the plants and then a manifold for the water outlets, which in the end were green clumps of java moss.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Thats very cool Botia! You can almost feel the current in the tank picture.

Now I'm feeling guilty and might have to put an extra power head in my 90. I just turned the temp down to ~75F a couple nights ago from 77F after realizing the lights (in winter) bring up the temp a degree. My two reticulated Hillstream seem fine so far and are very active. I saw a similar river tank setup on Loach Online website when I was trying to find out the scientific name of the reticulated I just bought. Do you have any idea of that species name? Again, that is really cool you built them a river tank.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

Congrats Botia, awesome setup and the loach is amazing!!

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys and gals.
The species is Gastromyzon ctenocephalus.I have a mix of pool filter sand tahtian moon and some neutral gravel from the local river in there. I prefer the current to move it where it wants for the natural look.
here are some more pics.

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
hehehe, yeah I wanted the rippled floor of a river as the look for the substrate in my tank.

But, alas, it wasnt working that way, as the flow in a tank doesn't work like that. It would just gouge a big oval shaped hole in the substrate, and sweep everything around the rocks away.

Still the loaches wont know the difference They look like they'll be happy rockhoppping that tank

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:15 AM

Beautiful fish. Is there anything special you did to accumulate a sufficient amount of algae as I see on the rocks in the fts?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode