esarkipato's 29 gallon: The Times They Are A-Changin' (56K Grab a Beer) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (28/100%)
esarkipato's 29 gallon: The Times They Are A-Changin' (56K Grab a Beer)

Here's some background on this tank: I am actually "babysitting" it for my freind who's teaching English in S. Korea. I've had it since August '05, and there have been massive changes.

My goal for the tank: make my first high-tech tank and grow as many species as possible.

What it came with: 2x20w NO fluorescent lights in homemade canopy, Hagen Ladder co2 system, and large (10 mm) gravel for substrate. The tank was very mature when I got it, with only a little algae troubles. Inhabitants:
-blue gourami
-crenichicla comprecisseps
-chineses algae eater
-flying fox
-2 serpae tetras
-2 rosy barbs
-redtail shark
-zebra danio

Now I just want to keep the fish alive, I'm more concerned about growing plants

The photos begin. . . .

This is how the tank arrived!

I thinned it out a little . . . okay, a lot.

My first real attempt at an aquascape.

A bit of growout

Another attempt at an "aquascape".

Some minor changes, a different angle.

I got some new species (rotala, ludwigia) and just let it go!

And then REALLY let it go!

Getting too thick . . .

After this weekend's 'scape and trim.

Looking through this one myself, I see an increase in plant growth & placement, but also a big difference in photography. I didn't know much about picturing PT's when I started . . . . but halfway through I lost my camera and was forced to use a Kodak Easyshare (low end)! Suffice it to say, I've got a long way to go with the photographing aspect, as that last picture is really washed out . . .

Here's the current flora:

# Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
# Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana)
# Cryptocoryne becketti
# Dwarf Sag (Sagittaria subulata)
# Ludwigia Repens (narrowleaf variety)
# Anubias (Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite')
# Narrow-leaf chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
# Rotala rotundifolia
# Alternanthera reineckii "rosaefolia"
# Blyxa japonica
# Hydrocotyle leucocephala
# Heteranthera zosterifolia (stargrass)
# Micranthemum umbrosum
# Myriophyllum mattogrossense
# Potamogeton gayi (my current favorite!)
# Ludwigia Brevipes
# Ludwigia Inclanata
# Pogostemon Stellatus
# Rotala Ramosior

Also, i just hooked up 3 blue LED moonlights yesterday, and they are great! I'd suggest them to anyone who's ever soldered something before! Unfortunately, I haven't figured out the trick to capturing them on film yet. . . .

You can see more info on the tank at http://www.ernestjohn.com/29gal.html

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome!

Last edited by esarkipato; 03-14-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

So many responses! Haha, I didn't really expect many.

Well this tank will be torn down this week. I've just been "tanksitting"....and the owner is getting back from teaching Korea. Anyways, it's not much to look at right now as I'm test-growing some "red" plants real quick for the new setup. Essentially, I'm going to move all the high-tech equipment to my other 29g.

I'd say - lesson learned is that EI doesn't really fit my personality! LOL. 50% weekly changes and strict dosing regimens aren't my strong point. HOpefully my next setup will utilize the plants as indicators a little better!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Well, I think I'm approaching nearly 3 years at planted tanks, and I'm always learning more about reading the plants. There are so many things to learn in this hobby. My latest venture is learning how to sculpt stem plants into bushes. It all helps keep it interesting.

So, get that new tank up and post another shot. And if no one comments, post another picture. Folks will eventually catch on...at least that's how my photo gallery has gone!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
thats alot of changes! the tank always looked good id say... sometimes a TAD bit of a joungle.... but i would say that the person who you are tank sitting for will be happy that the tank is still going!

mission accomplished!

- fish newb -

heh ei isnt for me either
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I too have to chime in as not on the EI band wagon, I have a heavily fertilised substrate and occasional doses when I see deficiencies. Best of luck with the new setup!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Those were/are great Earnie. Man, you have been checking out a lot of species and the tanks all looked great! Bummer, no one noticed before - But we have now!

So what size is the new tank going to be. Didn't you buy an XP3. I'm going to take a wild guess at a 75G. I like that Micranthemum umbrosum (sp). Reminds me of Lloydilia (Creeping Jenny). Nice job, belated! Edit: my bad. I see you have another 29 gallon. BTW, I'm with you on the EI. I feed my fish too much for EI to work for me.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Ernie,

I think a big part of using EI is having really high CO2. Plants need three main things to grow (Light, Water, and CO2). If you set up a tank that limits the plants with Light or CO2 (probably never Water) then adding all the extra ferts doesn't do much for the plants.

I am running EI on my 40G long and I really like it. My plants grow really well and I don't have hardly any algae to speak of. The only true limiting factor is lights in my case with 3.25 WPG. My CO2 at night is creeping up around 70ppm which is a bit too high but at this point the fish don't seem to mind.

If you are running a Haggen Yeast CO2 system then it is hard to control the amount of CO2 you have in the tank.

My favorite scape you had was the one labled "After this weekend's scape and trim". The only thing you don't have going on in the tank is hard scape (rocks and DW).

Doug
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Well well thanks for the replies, what a confidence booster

@BSS, I agree there are so many directions to go in the aquarium hobby, not to mention just planted tanks! I'm glad I took the 'plunge' those years ago!

@Fish Newb, yea "mission accomplished" is kind of how I feel. I think in a year I lost zero fish and proabably tried out 50 or so speciesin the tank. Not bad, but I'm ready to be back down to just 1 bigger tank.

@lumpyfunk, I am going to have to "retrofit" the new setup with substrate ferts, as the substrate is already in there and is about 8 months mature. Thanks for the reminder.

@Betowess, yea I have to combine the 2-29gallon tanks into 1 29 gallon tank....and yes the XP3 is the one! I plan to eventually move to 75g...so I got a big filter. Flow adjustment is a wonderfull thing.

@Wingsdlc, I had 3.8 wpg, pressurized co2. Nothing limited except for the nutrients i did (or didn't) add. Just wait, the 50% weekly changes will get VERY old after a while, even with a python. That last 'scape does have hardscape, just difficult to see it-partially due to crappy photography skills.

I'll hopefully post some tear-down pics soon
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Quote:
@Wingsdlc, I had 3.8 wpg, pressurized co2. Nothing limited except for the nutrients i did (or didn't) add. Just wait, the 50% weekly changes will get VERY old after a while, even with a python. That last 'scape does have hardscape, just difficult to see it-partially due to crappy photography skills.
Ok I just pulled my foot out of my mouth. I didn't really mean to be bashing on your tank or anything of the sort. For some odd reason I thought you were running the yeast co2 job and only 40W of light. I guess I missed something along the way.

I really don't mind the 50% water change every week. I have been doing it for a year not with out any problems but there are other ways of skinning the cat so you have to find something that works for you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Hehe, no hard feelings at all Windsdlc.

Now that I'm back down to just one 29 gallon tank (or will be tomorrow) , I may give EI another go.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice tank,, love the pics keep them coming.

20 gallon Hex planted tank
55 Gallon Hex planted tank

My 75 gallon thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. This tank was torn down (owner's decision) last week. All the plants, wood, and equipment was transferred to my "used-to-be-low-tech" 29 gallon.... a picture is here:
other tank thread here

Last edited by esarkipato; 09-06-2006 at 12:13 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Link is dead.

My 75 gallon thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

(fixed) thanks for the heads up.

(PM regarding your sig )
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

right back at ya. now to check the link.

My 75 gallon thread.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode