90G In-Wall (56k Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
90G In-Wall (56k Warning)

After many, many months of putting it off, I finally decided to put my 90G (48x18x24) aquarium into the wall. I've had a few aquariums over the years, but never a planted tank. When my wife and I were deciding to go with a fresh water or saltwater tank we stumbled across this website. After we looked at some of the incredible photo journals on this site our minds were made.

The first project was building the stand. I made it 49x25x38. The extra space in the back is for a little shelf to hold food, test kits or whatever I need at the time. It is primarily 2x4 and 4x4 construction with a piece of 3/4 ply on top. I know that it is way overbuilt, but the wood was free and the stand is permanent.

The actual demo was very easy. The tank went into an unused closet, so I just broke out the sawzall and went to town with it.

I threw together a quick stick frame, drywalled and painted then trimmed it out with some Red Oak.

Next came the filter, CO2 equipment and the reactor. I got an XP3 for filtration, a Milwaukee regulator and controller and built a Rex reactor out of 2" PVC.

The lighting is an AH Supply 4x55w bright kit. I bought 4 GE 9325k's for the bright kit and to balance out the color a little I got a cheapo 2 tube T5HO fixture from Aquatraders with 10k bulbs in it. It doesn't put nearly the light of the bright kits, but it does make the tank more pleasing to the eye. The fixture I made is probably the most ghetto thing you've ever seen. It is just a couple of 2x6's on the sides with 2x4's to mount the lights to.

Last, but not least I used Soilmaster Select for the substrate. I decided to use this instead of the other substrates, because I liked the color and the grain size seems just right. One 50lb bag got me a good depth to plant in. For the plants I just went down to the local Petsmart and bought whatever stem plants they had. I also bought some dwarf hairgrass for the foreground, because I figured it would take a while for it to fill in. They're expecting another shipment of plants on Monday, so I'll add more when I can. The fish that are in there now are six juvenile Angels, six black skirts and four danios. Ammonia has read zero since I set it up last Sunday. I got the ferts from Greg Watson, have some Flourish to use up before I get to the Plantex. I basically planted the stems whever I felt like. I haven't decided on any final aquascape, but I have a month long business trip in April to figure it out.

Any suggestions you have are welcome. It has been set up for a week and I haven't noticed any algae yet, so my hopes are up. The only thing I'm not sure about is when to start dosing ferts. If anybody can provide a little help in this area I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks for looking,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice setup and stump you got there, it's still a little cloudy, hopefully that will settle. You can fertilize ASAP if the tank is cycled, an established filter, mulm from an old tank will instantly cycle the tank.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:34 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
wow! I am officially living a dream of mine through you, so promise to keep the pics coming *subscribed* . . . .

And a few questions/comments/requests:
-What type of wood is in there? Where'd ya get it?
-how many inches of depth did a 50# bag give ya?
-for calculating fertilizer dosing, I use AquaticPlantCentral.com's Fertliator to calculate how many teaspoons of what will give me a certain ppm. It's up to you how often you wanna dose, depends a lot on water change schedules I think!
-I see angels and black skirt tetras. What other fauna are in there?
-I would definitely get MORE PLANTS! (as you are planning!)
-I love the placement of the big stump, but the smaller wood will probably look better placed a different way (sorry not much help).
-I'd love to see (when u are ready) a picture of the wall and tank, or how it fits into the surroundings!

Nice work, keep us posted!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Really nice setup.
I'd like to see a wider shot from the front of how it appears in the room, as well as a full shot from the rear of the ex-closet/mini fishroom.
Yeah - I think that stand will manage to hold a 90. LOL!
Also got a kick out of seeing your exquisite craftsmanship in the frame, stand, etc., and then see the rex reactor just slapped up with some tape!
Sounds like you've got everything weell in hand.
Eager to see pics as this matures.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
wow, love the stump lol. Can't wait to see this one grow out. Ever think of getting some kind of a moss attached to that stump? Kinda make it look like something you'd find in the woods. You're making me think about getting rid of some closets.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
looks very good. i too love the stump in the corner and it should look awesome when its all finished.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
An chance we could get a full tank photo that shows the wall? I'm curious about the overall appearance as this may be an option for one of my tanks.

Thanks, Bil
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Looks good but i'd really try and either higher the stump or lower the water so it looks like the stump is actually going out of the water. Looks best that way.

More plants are needed defo but awesome setup.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:42 AM

Oh Man am I jealous of those sticks!!! This tank has potential written all over it!

Can I make a couple of suggestions? Thanks...

If it were my tank, an I wish it was! I would get some hygro an plant it behind the stump, Take the anacharis and move it to the other back corner in front of the heater. Put some crypts where the anacharis is now. Maybe tie some anubias of java ferns on the stick comin out from the stump. Sags in the foreground. Moss would look pretty cool runnin up the stump roots. I would also plant sunset hygro right behind the arch and let it grow on both sides of the driftwood arch ya got there..

Once the plants have established themselves, an growin like weeds, I would start addin other types of plants, an replacing the fast growers.

I would really like it if there were more plants in it!!

Awsome lookin set up!

I am definitely subscribed!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Gotta love that duct tape ! Next time you're at the BORG see if you can't find some pipe strapping. That, 5 minutes and a few drywall screws should do the trick. Although if you're knocking out walls I suspect you know this.

I love progression journals . Another subscriber here .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato

And a few questions/comments/requests:
-What type of wood is in there? Where'd ya get it?
-how many inches of depth did a 50# bag give ya?
-I see angels and black skirt tetras. What other fauna are in there?
The wood is a piece of cedar that I hunted down locally.

The soilmaster is probably about 2.5 - 3 inches deep. The stuff is a bit light, but it holds plants well.

Fauna:

10 Ottos
7 Angels
6 Black Skirts
4 Danios
1 Ram
2 Cories (more to be added)
1 Striped Raphael Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash69x

Ever think of getting some kind of a moss attached to that stump? Kinda make it look like something you'd find in the woods.
I plan on attaching some moss to the stump, but haven't decided which kind yet. Java is always an option, but I'd like to get something a little different for it. Suggestions?

The tape is replaced. It was never meant to be permanent, but I think it added character to the setup.

I'll post some more pictures soon, I've added a bunch of plants and moved things around a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming!

Jim

-
In-wall, 4x55w AH Supply w/GE 9325k, 2x54w T5HO 10000k, 2 x XP3 , Pressurized CO2 and Controller with external Reactor, Soilmaster Select Charcoal Substrate

20G -Casa de Convicts
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisjl481
"...The tape is replaced. It was never meant to be permanent, but I think it added character to the setup. ..."
Duct tape is like The Force, "It has a Dark side and a Light side and it holds the universe together..."

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get more than one ram, especially considering you have 7 angels. I would also forego the danio's, simply because they do not fit with the other fish, and are small enough to get eaten by the angels when they mature.
Good looking setup!

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One week down. I tinkered with the tank all week, and got a lot more plants. I'm in collectoritis mode right now. I'm seeing what I can grow well. I'm also still learning to take good photos. The pics look dim, because I turned exposure way down.

Anyway here is a new full tank shot. Everything is pearling like crazy, which actually bothers me a bit, because it makes the water look cloudy. I've had pretty good growth, I think.

Here's the left. I haven't had much luck with the dwarf hairgrass. I think I'll give it this week, before I switch to something else. I've got some E. tennelus on the way so it may get replaced soon. Besides the lack of growth, I don't know if it'll fit in with the rest of the plants.

Here's the middle.

Here's the right side. I can't figure out what I want to do over here. I've got some Jungle Val growing behind the stump and the Wisteria next to it has absolutely taken off. I can't figure out what I want to put in front of the wood to the right. I'm thinking of putting a tiger lotus there. I've also got some Taiwan Moss and weeping moss on the way for the stump. We'll see how that turns out.

Let me know what you all think. Hopefully its better than last week.

Jim

-
In-wall, 4x55w AH Supply w/GE 9325k, 2x54w T5HO 10000k, 2 x XP3 , Pressurized CO2 and Controller with external Reactor, Soilmaster Select Charcoal Substrate

20G -Casa de Convicts
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:09 AM

Lookin good!!

Cant wait ta see it all grow in!!

Is there any room in there behind the largest root off the stump an the back wall? Is that a couple of vals back there...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode