My low tech 82 gal. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My low tech 82 gal.

Hi guys, this is my 82 low tech 82 gal planted tank, it's been setup since November 1st. , 2003.

Tank : 51 1/4" long, 23.5" tall, 15 3/4" wide (130x60x40 metrical)
82.43 galons (312 litres)

DIY Stand: 1 1/4 squared iron with a wood cover.

DIY Canopy/cover : Aluminum with a glass on the bottom and a mirror on top, with 4 fluorescent 32 watts. lamps, ( It has extra space if I want to add 2 more tubes)

Light : 128 watts 10 hours/day

Filtration: Eheim Classic 2250

Heating : 1 200 watts. Hagen and 1 100 watts. Krill (Made in Mexico) at 80F(26C)

Substrate : 2 15 lbs. bags of Azzo Plant Grower bed mixed with regular 3-5 mm. gravel.

No Co2, No Ferts.

Plants : Hygrophilla Polysperma, Limnophilla Sessiliflora, Microsorum Pteropus, Vallisneria, Anubia Barteri, Anubia Lanceolata, Anubia Nana var. Petit., Cryptocorine Wendtii Brown, Cryptocorine Lutea, Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis and some moss and ludwigia repens that refuse to grow, lol.

Wood : 4 Mopani roots and 1 mangroove.

No rocks yet (if I re-do the decoration, I would add some slate rocks)

Fish : Tetras (13 Cardinals,10 X-ray, 10 Lemons, 3 Black neons, 2 Red Phanton) A pair of bushy nose, and three corys (I will add 7 more)

Shrimp: Unknown number of caridinae (sp?)

Snails: The mighty and alway present planorbis

The Pics:

Left Side

Right Side

Center:

The Val Jungle (where the male bushy nose and shrimps hide)

The Java Fern (Microsorum Pteropus)

I covered the Eheim 'nice' intake pipe with a mopani root

My limnnophilla S. is recovering yet.

The lilaeopsis B. is growing very very slow, I guess its because it needs more light.

Anubia petit on the mangroove

Anubia Barteri on a mopani root

Higrophilla P.

Anubia L. (maybe experiencing lack of iron)

Crypto W. B.

General view

I'm tempted to re do the tank, maybe changing to a mix of fluorite and Onyx and make some kind of sltae terrace on the right side, add more roots and put a lot foreground plants (maybe more Lilaeopsis B.)

Thanks for looking the post and all comments are welcome.

Regards

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
More L. Sessiflora! Sorry, I suggest that to everyone, it is my favorite plant and all. I wouldn't worry too much about the substrate. Good start. In such a tall tankwith lower light, a good foreground would be crypts. It would give the tank a unique look. But hey, that's just me. And in your signature, you know how it says "no ferts"? That is really not the best course of action, I would rethink it.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looks great for a non-fertilizer, non-CO2 tank! Seems like you found the right balance there. Consider adding some root-tabs or fert sticks around the Crypt. Love those vallis! Bien hecho.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words, glad to know you like my tank.

MrBelvedere, I love LS too! I had a bunch, but for some reason it decayed and it's recovering, this specie decays for some time, then thrives again, at least in my tank.I thought about short cryps in the foreground too due the low light, but I will have to add at least one more inch of substrate, 50/50 Fluorite/Onyx that is.

Quote:
And in your signature, you know how it says "no ferts"? That is really not the best course of action, I would rethink it.
Yep, I'm considering some fertilizing if I make some changes in the substrate and right side, I'm a big fan of the phrase "If it's not broken...don't fix it " though. As I'm no ferts expert, which products can I consider taking in count my low light ? The only "fertilization" was provided by the azoo plant grower bed in the beginning, but it has lost its properties, the bag says it last 18 months.

Wasserpest, I bought a box of Sera Florenette A root tabs for the crypts I will put them tonight. Which fert sticks do you recommend ? Muchas Gracias

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo
Wasserpest, I bought a box of Sera Florenette A root tabs for the crypts I will put them tonight. Which fert sticks do you recommend ? Muchas Gracias
De nada!

The Florenette should help somewhat, not sure if it contains any macros (NPK). I use something called Jobes sticks, but it is debated whether to recommend them or stay away from them, since they contain some Urea which can lead to algae outbreaks (search for jobes on the forum...). Some ppl use overpriced Seachem root tabs, some use AP brand, a little cheaper, some roll their own... it's up to you!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Muy Bien. Even more so considering the no CO2. I think your light fish load might be a part of your successful method. Have you ever had any Black Brush Algae show up? I am very impressed. And I like the Mopani intake too! By the way, Marselia is a good low or high light foreground plant. Kind of clover like.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Wassepest, I will search those sticks in the fish markets we have here in Mexco City, I can give'em a try, this is a "trial and error" hobby, lol. If they don't sell them, I can buy seachem's

Betowess, yep, the fish load is very important, I used to have discus fish and the plants didn't look like they are right know, all cichlids are messy fish, lol.

Quote:
Have you ever had any Black Brush Algae show up?
Nope, the only "crisis" was caused by BGA, I applied the 3 blackout method combined with erithromicin (sp?) about a year ago and the BGA never has appeared again.

Thanks for the kind words amigos !!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good...

If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions:

- Put that ugly green eheim tube somewhere hidden. I liked the root idea, but it seems to be gone in the full-tank shot...

- Your vals are growing really nicely. I would put a transition mid-level plant between them and the foreground because they just kind of rise up like a giant cliff out of nowhere. Your choice of plant for sure.

- I third the motion for more crypts in the front. Put some root tabs underneath and you'll have a lush foreground in no time.

The centre with the anubias and driftwood along with that health java fern is my favourite. Way to go.

Narhay.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
el tanque esta bien chevere... shows that low fish load + decent lights and no co2 can produce good results...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am IN LOVE with those Vals, by the way. It's what I'm hoping my corkscrew vals will do eventually in my angelfish tank (grow all thick and tall, that is) Right now they're sticking to mid-way up the tank. I hope that's not going to be permanent...

Perhaps I should move them towards the front and try to find some jungle vals?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to metfan581
do you have a pic of the stand?

However, there's always a however.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi metfan581.

I was taking a look at my photobucket albums and only found this old crappy pic, it was taken when I introduced a couple of discus, right after cycling the tank, it had only vallis and limnophilla and some crypts, the stand is DIY, it is made of iron and covered with wood, the stand on the left is 100% wood for storage.

If I can find a better pic, I will post it or post an update of this tank it is very different now, LOL

Thanks for asking.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've found a couple of pics

The metal stand alone:

Wood cover finished :

Good Luck.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode