Anthony's 40 Gallon Planted Cichlid Tank (New Pics:DIY background Update 7/9/2013) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Anthony's 40 Gallon Planted Cichlid Tank (New Pics:DIY background Update 7/9/2013)

Here's my new 40 gallon. I just planted it 2 days ago, and I'll be getting a shipment of plants in next week to fill out the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scape1.1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2564  

Name:	Scape 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	2565  

Last edited by Anthony; 07-09-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Updated picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
Looks like a good start!! You need some hardscape.
What palnts are in thera and what are you adding? Any fish?

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I know, but can't find any good driftwood. So far I have anacharis, water sprite, l. repens, b. carolina, r. wallichi, r. magenta, giant hygro, and a lotus. Next week I'll be getting micro swords, glosso, crypt blassi, b. japonica, b. auberti, l. glandulosa, l. hippuriodes, nessea, and a couple of others I can't think of. I'm gonna see what'll grow and then go from there. For fish I have rasboras, otos, and cories. Also, I have cherry, and amano shrimp. After the tank gets esablished I'll be adding either discus or apistos (slap me later for the discus).

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just got the rest of my plants in Saturday because my order was overlooked. But, here it is. I've gotten rid of the anacharis, and water sprite. I recieved all of the above plants plus added p. gayi. I didn't receive my b. japonica though, but I was given some extra nesea to make up for it. I still haven't found anything to hardscape with, so I'll just be trying to get everything to grow before I start an aquascape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2637  

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Talking Some New Pics, added Swamp Cypress 5/10/06

Here is my tank after my 3 week battle with green water after I disturbed the substrate. I almost gave up and bought a uv sterilizer, but the green water has given up for now. Everything is growing great now, and I have taken out a few species of plants. I am having problems with the coloration of my gladulosa though. I also can't get my l.hippuroides to grow any larger. Any tips on the scape? It's the first one I'm trying out on the tank, I plan on taking out the giant hygro, and moneywort in the left corner and getting true gladulosa, as well as l. aromatica. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for th poor pics they were taken with a camera phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cor.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2864  

Name:	ca.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2865  

Filstar pimp #53

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update 12/19/06 New digital camera

Well I finally gave in and bought a digital camera today and snapped off a few pics with it. It's a Canon PowerShot A630. The tank has been doing well after a bout of bga 2 months ago (loosing all my fish in the process) with the exception of green spot algae in the front corners of the tank and on my anubias. I'm totally new at the digital camera thing so they aren't that good. I'm gonna keep fiddling with it until I find the best settings. Any suggestions on the tank or photos are much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	3580  

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	3581  

Filstar pimp #53

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Good job on the tank and photos Anthony, keep at it, looking good

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here a recent full tank shot, and some close ups that I took yesterday. I'm getting more familiar with my digital camera and it's great! As you can see from the shot with the leapord pleco, I had a problem wth green spot on my anubais going on, so I upped phosphates and trimmed off all affected leaves. I got my rhinox glass diffusor friday and all I can say is wow. Even though the whole disk doesn't bubble, it is a great improvement over a haggen ladder.
Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	3594  

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	3595  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	3596  

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	3597  

Filstar pimp #53

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
very nice, i liked my bubble ladder more than my glass diffusor though... to each their own

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
That is one impressive Rotala macrandra you have there. Very nice.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:40 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Anthony, what a nice transformation. I know it has been a battle, but look how beautiful this tank has become. Hopefully its inhabitants are happy now.
Have fun playing with your new camera~
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To ski boarder: yeah I kinda miss watching the bubbles flow upwards through the ladder.

To mr. belvedere: I can definitely say that the macrandra doesn't like to be pulled up. It grows like a week in my tank, but once I pull it up and replant it, the stress causes alot of problems before it will take off again.

To fresh: Yeah it has been a battle. I actually lost all my fish because when doing a full tear down of my cannister filter before doing a blackout to kill the bga, I accidently turned the inline heater all the way up and cookd them. I woke up to an entire tank of dead fish and a temp of 89 degrees. And thanks for the extra generous portion of chrsitmas moss you sent a while ago

Filstar pimp #53

Last edited by Anthony; 12-31-2006 at 09:46 PM.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
My pleasure~

I hear you about the macrandra. Mine grows like mad, but after a prune it is stunted for a little while.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Man, your red plants are making my eyes bleed. You've got a good layout for sure. I believe the GSA you have is an indicator of low phosphate? Can anyone corroborate that?

The brotherhood of Tek - President and member numero uno.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've always been a fan of the red plants more so than the green. That's the deepest red I've gotten out of the macrandra. I've started to dose KNO3 daily to stop the big swings I was getting from alternate day dosing since my lighting is so high keeping it at 3-5 ppm, and phosphate tested out at 3ppm. But I guess the phosphate kit is incorrect cause at that level I shouldn't have any green spot. This past week though I've started to see signs of bga again so I've started upping nitrate dosing as well.

Filstar pimp #53

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode