72 Gal. Oceanic Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
72 Gal. Oceanic Bowfront

This is my new Bowfront. Planted with discus arriving next week. My first time planting so send in the critics. Any words good or bad would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
looks good, but if that is a bubble wand in the back I would remove it!

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes that is a bubble wand. Just wondering why it should be removed, does it have some kind of negative effect? It is the only surface aggitation that i have in the tank. Without it how would i make sure there is enough air for the fish?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to OrionDartanyu
If you use CO2, it will basically drain the tank of CO2. It forces it to the top and pop goes the CO2. This will drastically slow the growth of your plants.

The plants will give off O2 and usually in most planted tanks I've seen, the plants give off enough O2. If you remove the wand and you're fish swim normally, you're plants are doing it. If not, and they are up at the top of the tank gasping, then you might want to put the bubble wand back.

Typically, in most cases, the bubble wand negates the CO2 and oversaturated the tank with O2. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

during the day, you shouldnt need the bubble wand. The plants produce more than enought o2. Just turn the bubble wand on at night when everything needs much more oxygen. This way you dont execivly loose co2 during the day, and you tank will be well oxaginated during the night (when it needs the most oxygen).

good luck

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Algae Grower

gravel

Not to keen on the gravel color, but otherwise it looks great.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
IMO and IME I would take the bunch-plants and put three stems together tied with the soft metal weights and have them in the background. That way the bunches can be simply lifted out--trimmed--and plopped back in. This will make things easier in the long run with stem plants.

One of the first things you'll notice is the discus will hide until they get used to you. They will get the hang of you sticking your hand in the tank all the time, but it will take a bit of time.

No need for the bubble wand...are you injecting CO2?

Re-boot!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
sorry, I meant to give alittle more explanation but I had a minor problem and had to run!! Didn't mean to just make a comment and leave ya hanging!!

Thanks Orion for following up!!!

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the info. I am not using CO2 at this time but have my buddy Marc at Aquatic-Store setting me up when we get time. I think I will just leave it there and use it only at night as long as the fish dont goto the top and gasp. I guess the saturation that was mentioned explains all the bubbles in the water everywhere making it look almost dirty. The gravel was pure black even after being washed but after 3 weeks in the tank is getting lighter in color which makes no sense to me because it is aquarium gravel? I am running 194w PC lights. Currently using some root tabs and a liquid Iron supplement. The foxtail do not seem to be doing so well. The Anacharis is doing better. Any suggestions on keeping them alive would be great also. Thanks again !!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eahkmh
Wow thanks for all the info. I am not using CO2 at this time but have my buddy Marc at Aquatic-Store setting me up when we get time. I think I will just leave it there and use it only at night as long as the fish dont goto the top and gasp. I guess the saturation that was mentioned explains all the bubbles in the water everywhere making it look almost dirty. The gravel was pure black even after being washed but after 3 weeks in the tank is getting lighter in color which makes no sense to me because it is aquarium gravel? I am running 194w PC lights. Currently using some root tabs and a liquid Iron supplement. The foxtail do not seem to be doing so well. The Anacharis is doing better. Any suggestions on keeping them alive would be great also. Thanks again !!!
CO2 and fertilizers will keep them alive. With 192 watts of light, I would still consider that a relatively high-light tank (remember the wpg rule generally starts to break down as the tank gets bigger). The co2 will be essential for good plant health and keeping algae from appearing.

Re-boot!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
if i was keeping discus, i would definitely add some swords, and maybe some larger pieces of wood...for spawning medium...good luck
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Well the algae showed up today but I am not sure that my tank is completely cycled so this may be normal. The only CO2 I could do now would be diy run to the intake of my eheim 2026. Do you think that will help? What ferts do you all recommend. Flourish? Yea i would like to get a sword, if i get these plants healthy first.Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode