5' x 3' of laziness. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
5' x 3' of laziness.

hi,
i set this tank up a few months ago (new years day) out of stuff that was hanging around doing nothing. according to everything i have read it shouldn't work, but it is thriving, plants are growing and multiplying beyond belief thus far. had a short, 3 or 4 week algal bloom which disappeared as quickly as it came and now all is good.

the tank used to be home to my 30kg hand tame redtail catfish, who unfortunately died from a large cancerous tumour a couple years ago. it is around 1000 litres with the water level dropped a bit as it is (no lids). it had a very large, agressive, sump filter which i removed in favour of a small, underpowered, JBL canister filter in the hopes of leaving some nutrients in the water ROFL.. it is working like a champion so far.

i then plumbed in one of my D-cells of CO2 that i use for running air tools on site into a reactor made out of a gravel cleaner and some bio-balls. you can see the D-cell sitting on the desk in the first photo, it doesn;t fit anywhere else in the room ROFL..

then i hung a single 150w metal halide from the ceiling, this should be nowhere near enough lighting intensity, but is working beautifully.

went down the street and dug some laterite out of a ditch on the side of the road (cool huh?), threw some small river gravel that same from the local garden centre down over the top of it, ripped some driftwood and rocks from old tanks back out from the garden, threw some old tank water that i had saved back in there, rinsed off and planted some plants that were "in storage" in my pond, and called it good.

gave it a week to settle, then started putting fish in. couple discus cause they are cool, platies and gouramis because they eat algae and produce a lot of solid waste (can't be bothered dosing), some small things - zebra danios because they are fast, black neons, scissortail rasboras, hockey stick and serpae tetras because it seemed like a good idea. and ottocinclus and bristlenose cats because all the cool kids have them

haven't had a single fatality yet, and am now able to do some in house agriculture to perform additional aquascaping to fill in the thin areas with the plantlets and offspring from the thicker planted areas, so i am happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I admire a man who can cobble together a fully functional Frankenstein-esque tank. Seriously, I am impressed. Maybe up the filtration though.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Looks good. The moss on wood combo has always caught my attention.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:07 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Cool, good job! How long has the tank been running? Have any other tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofazt
Cool, good job! How long has the tank been running? Have any other tanks?
the tank has been runnning in it's previous configuration with the sump for about 10 years. has been running in this new configuration since new years day.

this is the only tank i have now. i used to have a lot of them (used to build them for a living) hence having a plethora of parts and materials lying around to throw this one together with
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
3 ft deep!?! Wow, that is a deep tank! You could scape the bajeezuz out of that baby .

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep your CO2 tank on the adjacent table, instead of underneath the aquarium, in the cabinet?

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
really nice big tank. one question i may ask is fishpoop? do you have alot on the bottom of the tank? i have pretty much the same approch as you with my planted tanks. and i have alot of fishpoop on the bottom of my 55g. i think i need more benificial bacteria?

neways tank looks great!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Just out of curiosity, why do you keep your CO2 tank on the adjacent table, instead of underneath the aquarium, in the cabinet?
doesn't fit under the tank. it is a D-cell, so with the reg on top it is about 800mm tall. should last a few years ROFL...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb
really nice big tank. one question i may ask is fishpoop? do you have alot on the bottom of the tank? i have pretty much the same approch as you with my planted tanks. and i have alot of fishpoop on the bottom of my 55g. i think i need more benificial bacteria?

neways tank looks great!

-=- fish newb -=-
i always sift the gravel a bit before i build a tank so i have some larger graded stuff to put in for the top half inch or so, this lets all the solid waste get out of sight and into the substrate where the plants can get some use out of it.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendle
i always sift the gravel a bit before i build a tank so i have some larger graded stuff to put in for the top half inch or so, this lets all the solid waste get out of sight and into the substrate where the plants can get some use out of it.
oo ic so you use larger gravel on top to "hide" the fish waste?

interested...

-=- fish newb -=-
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb
oo ic so you use larger gravel on top to "hide" the fish waste?

interested...

-=- fish newb -=-

yeah. there's not really much in it, i always just use this old colander i have to get a bucket or so of larger gravel to skin the top with. so, most of the gravel would be 2-3mm, while the uppermost part might be 5-6mm.. just stops the junk getting stirred up into the water column when psychotic fish go blasting past at low level ROFL..
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

bit of an update, just because i am trying to learn how to use my girlfriends digital SLR (with mixed results)..

this is a chunk of the centre of the tank, big log covered in moss, aponogeton crispus and echinodorus ozelot and echinodorus amazonicus in the background. i want to get some good photos of those too, the amazonicus is well over 2 feet tall..

bit of the surface with ozelot plantlets, echinodurus kleine plantlets, and crispus blooms..

ozelot planlets, sadly all the flowers are finished, but the same plant is throwing up a second flower spike, so there will be more..

i'm off to read some more of the digital SLR's for dummies book and then i'll try and get some better shots of the body of the jungle.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Took some new photos..

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

I'm very interested in how your tank is doing. It's the 150w MH over 3' of water that interest me. My 16' x 8' x 3' Amazonian biotope tank will need lighting and I'm under the impression that I'll need to use 250w MH's. If I can get away with 150's and grow my swords I'll be happy (and save money).

Check it out:

Last edited by Rhinoman; 10-07-2006 at 02:43 AM. Reason: QAdditional details
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
I'm very interested in how your tank is doing. It's the 150w MH over 3' of water that interest me. My 16' x 8' x 3' Amazonian biotope tank will need lighting and I'm under the impression that I'll need to use 250w MH's. If I can get away with 150's and grow my swords I'll be happy (and save money).
Yep, all going well thanks. Really needs a trim at the moment. Some of the swords have gotten a bit out of hand.

I am moving house before xmas. Not looking forward to moving this tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode