D.gilly's 75 gal (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
D.gilly's 75 gal (56k)

Well being it my birthday ive decided to start the post on my new 75 alot of people have helped with my questions on it and i would like to greatly thank them. here is a pic of my DIY stand there is one open shelf in the middle left to go in sprry for the bad picks ill get a better one some time later.
Im going to be running this eheim 2026 ( i think thats it )professional 2

This is my 250 watt ehiem jager

and finally the tank

Well this is all ive got for it right now im going to be using diy co2 i know but its going to be a while before i spend the money on a pressurized system so we'll see how this works. it'll be a while before this tank is set up this week im hoping to get the lights, im going to be using 100% flourite, or possibly eco-complete but it reducts the light intensity being black so probabily not im going to get a background, a python water changes are going to be a bit different than in a 20 gal, a algae mag umm plants fish some deco and im pretty much set id love to hear anyones comments

Last edited by D.gilly; 09-24-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice tank. Cant waite to see it filled with plants.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nothing like a brand new tank to get the blood flowing

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:59 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
.. so what type of fish are unsureness? :P Gourami perhaps?
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the encouragement im going to need it! well im unsure of alot of things there was a problem with the lights a couldint figure out some stuff and co2 bt alot of people on the fourum have helps loads. i got the T-5 last night there the reef ones they where sold out of freshwater but the kind staff at big als replaced the actnics ( or some thing like that ) and replaced them with planta bulbs. so there is two 10,000 k bulbd and two 6,400 k bulbs. plus when i de setup my twenty gal there is going to be a 55 watt pc. the t-5's are soo bright real retnia burners. so last night after about 4 hours of washing flourite i dumped 3 bags in unwashed, and then washed 5 and put them on top, and filling up the tank with 5 gallon buckets (i dont have my python yet but wanted to get it filled) it was done ..... sort of im probbably going back to big als tonight to get a python, mag float, back ground, some driftwood, and rocks ( big ones) it will actually have a hard scape. ill put some pictures up later on today or tomorrow of the first day second day ect but theres not much to see other than the traditional flourite cloud . im going to be getting some plants in soon too how early can i put them in and also when do i start dosing co2? but im not going to have all the plants and fish until after the march break im going on a vacation and wont have anyone to make sure the fish went in well. i might get some sae's or ottos in but thats it. also its going to be mostly tetras with some butterfly( blue) rams.

Last edited by D.gilly; 03-01-2006 at 06:49 PM.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well i was just putting some vals in there to get some algae suckers ( im going to get some more soon and i noticed how chunky flourite was i really dont like it as a planting substrate its too jagged and big to manipulate has anyone else had problems with it ( does it work for carpiting plants ? glosso micro sword? thanks for your help
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have succesfully grown glosso in regular aquarium gavel mixed with some flourite and laterite with no problem. I have no experience with HC though I am recieving some next week.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank. Flourite will work fine for glosso, hairgrass, pygmy chainsword. Not sure about HC or microsword. The Hc seems pretty small but I have never tried it so not sure.

55 & 58 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

did any of you find it large/ chunky and kinda unmanageable ( i might be going insane from normally using a laterite base with 2-5 mm gravel )
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well over this post im going to show the progressions over the last week not much has happened i changed to a 10 L co2 bottle attatched to a power head it hasint stoped yet so i think it will work ive changed over a couple of plants from the 20 but it was covered in algae after about 4 days so i put in 6 amnio shrimp, i flying fox, one plec, 3 sae's this is in no way my clean up crew but part of it, and the driftwood placement isint finished yet either . there is still one to go in.and i will be getting some more plants on thursday but im also leaving for soulth carolina, on thursday so no picture updates for about a week and a half.

FIRST DAY

DAY 2

DAY 6

ALGAE

And a neat one of my shrimp

So i'll be back with some updates later well in about 2 weeks! id love any comments!
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I love that DIY stand. Do you have plans? It looks great!

Mostly though I wanted to mention... you got "reef" T-5's? I know you said Big Al's replaced the bulbs, which is great, but are those 54 watt? Because if they are... you are going to need a LOT more plants in that tank if you don't want to be creating algae paradise.

I'm guilty of the same problem, so I know, if those are 54W T-5's... you better get some more plants. Even if you only turn on 2 bulbs at at time.

Good luck. Love the stand.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The "algae" looks suspiciously like Java Moss to me!

John P.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Lookin' good, but I agree with scolley!

Also, I've decided never to buy flying foxes again. they get lazy and ornary. Siamensis (SAE's) are the way to go (and of course otos!).
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
The "algae" looks suspiciously like Java Moss to me!
I was thinking the same.
And ditto the request for stand plans/DIY.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes that moss is algae well if you look closely there is a bunch of little tufts on it. I agree with the flying fox comment i was planing to get rid of it my alge crew will be something like this...... 3 sae's,2 rebra loatches, 1 plec,2 otto's,10 amino shrimp,4 cory's. The lights are 28 watts but there are 4 and a 55 watt pc to come mabey later on this week, also im planing to get alot more plants on thursday! an amazon sword, some camboia,bacopia,hairgrasss Hopefully, umm ludwiga narrow,and later some red tiger lotus and most of the plants from the 20 gal. Also thell be more it dependnds on what the store has. As for the plans on the stand sorry no luck i helped an uncle he kinda made them up as he went ( hes a carpenter ) but if you really want them i could make up some basic blue prints . there might be an update tomorrow i doubt it though ill be leaving early i did some more planting/ moving around the driftwood thanks for the comments!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode