James's Journals - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
James's Journals

**Page 6 is currently where its at. Please click here now to view - thankyou :-)**

------------------------
A word from the Author -

Hi guys and welcome to my thread. Please take a good time to browse through all the pages. I have, in this thread, many of my setups including my 20 gallons and so on, journalled out at their various stages with lots of pictures and text only updates. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as i have enjoyed producing this material. Thanks!

James

Latest Page: 7
Latest Tank: New 20 Gallon

---------------------
Hi there folks, im Troy M...James, you may remember me from such journals as 'James' 10 gallon Nano Tank' and.. well thats all iv done really

Anyhow, iv started this journal as im completely re-doing my 20 Gallon. I have a ton of plants, a few fish but absolutley appauling gravel and no real sense of aquascaping in the current setup.

I plan to completely take out all fake things out of the tank (the random log thing and a couple small plastic plants) and just completely change the look and structure of the tank.

Here's a pic for today. This is how it looks now. I hate the gravel! Plus iv just been on holiday and i bunged everything in before hand and just left it so its abit jungle styled.

Sorry for the bad lighting but you can see it there. Bad, bad gravel, red myros, java fern, hairgrass floating at the top (yet to be planted), amazon frogbit, hygrophilia polysperma, you name it - it's probably there..

However, i have A PLAN!!

Here it is..

horray! another bad picture. If you squint you might be able to make it all out

Basically its all plants with a set of rocks in the middle and a piece of driftwood on either side. At this moment in time, i have the rocks done and one piece of driftwood. Check it out..

I have annotated it a little and its well worth squinting to read it..

and the nice piece of wood..

The idea with this piece is, i built up plants around the wood to make it look like the tree trunk carries all the way up the corner of the tank, and out of the water.

Thats all for now, il pot my work in progress as soon as i buy the gravel and final piece of wood. Peace out..

Last edited by Livebearer101; 04-05-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Wow- I took a look at the first pic with the multicolored gravel and was a little worried about you, then I saw the picture you drew and got a little more worried-
but I am impressed with the rock lay out... it seems you are going to bring it togehter in the end! Can't wait to see it.

Remember the godlen ratio - what is that again? Pi squared, minus half x+y.. no no, its a2+b2=c2, no no, that's not it... I usually go with "slightly off center"
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

Looks like its going to be good. Love that piece of wood and the rock formations. I think you should change the background. What substrate do you want to put in?

Out of interest what books are they you have. I think i might have the same ones!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please comment on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
photo album

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

The new Look... 25th Feb 2006

Well i got some slate gravel today and so the master plan begun. I set everything out on the table and went through it swiftly. At this moment all the fish are in the holder 10 gallon as the plan goes. Tomorrow the x-rays and my betta should be able to be moved back.

So here is the current look. Cloudy but you get the idea..

The rock is currently on top of the wood because it is yet to be waterlogged!

The cloudiness doesnt actually seem to show through on the pics but there it is. Seems to stretch out forever doesnt it

Here's a couple more..

Theres a few little caves here and there and iv yet to add the java moss over the rocks but i hope it looks cool to you as much as it does to me.

The planting has yet to fill in but give it a month and im betting it'll look mighty cool.

So what'd ya think? And any additions as far as fish go. They'd have to share a tank with a betta and a shoal of x-rays.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I would put some dark leafy plant in front of the rocks, and add some corydorous, but that's just my opinion.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Yeh, the plan is to remove the unknown plants at the front on the right and put in a nice midground bushy plant (any ideas?)

Also some java moss perhaps for the rocks.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Planted Member

perhaps you could have a large anubias in the front right. You could try a tiger lotus but it would have to come small then you would have to trim it a lot. Looks good but i really think that background should be replaced and maybe you could get some smaller rocks with some stem plants behin them. I would move the wood forward slightly because you cant see it too well and its really nice i would also recomend growing something on the top just so it doesnt look like it has been cut off. The gravel looks far better by the way. You should get some more hairgrass. good start

please comment on my
photo album
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

indeed i agree. Im still not completely happy with the planting. I was thinking of putting a baby tears on the right hand side to grow around the wood.

The java moss will also cover the wood and the rocks.

Will my mini dwarf hairgrass carpet?
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Well here it is today cleared up. Im so sorry the quality of my pictures are so crap. Im planning on getting a new camera soon.

How come you dont like the background Dud? I think it matches the rocks quite well.
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Planted Member

Well I have found that the less I put in the more likely it was to die. But thatís probably because some dies of anyway. With the amount you have it will take a very long time to carpet but if you do what I suggested on your 10 gallon tank you will get a carpet in no time because you will have so much. You should trim what you have to encourage it to grow outwards not up. What substrate is that? Because I have has problems growing hairgrass in fluorite thatís why I got sand. I donít know if its just gravel in general that hairgrass wont grow in but in my tanks it just wouldnít grow in fluorite. I have found putting fertiliser tabs in the substrate helps it along to. Your gravel does look pretty fine so it might be ok.

please comment on my
photo album
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Its a fine slate gravel and its beauty isnt really captured in my pictures. It looks really realistic and natural. Its a bastard to wash however..

I might order some more hairgrass or just shove it and get a better carpetting plant.

Someone please suggest a really fast growing carpet plant.
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Planted Member

Well i find glosso to be really really fast! but so is hairgrass you just need more go to the pond section of a garden centre you will find it in big pots placed in trays of cold water about £3 each 1 pot was enough to fill my 20gallon and a 2.5gallon. Hairgrass does look far better than glosso in my opinion because you can shape it with a pair of scissors!

please comment on my
photo album
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

make things easy for me and pick one from here lol http://www.aquaticplants.eu.com/acat...oreground.html

I was thinking of going with Glosso or ECHINODORUS LATIFOLIUS
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Planted Member

4163 each SAGITTARIA NATANS (DWARF SAGITTARIA)
DWARF SAGITTARIA
More...

Price: £0.50

cheap and easy to grow get a few

but 2 pots of glosso should be enough for your tank it was for mine. Depends how much is in a pot

please comment on my
photo album
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

does it carpet well? im guessing it does as it propagates through runners.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode