Stealthy tank - A journey of discovery (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stealthy tank - A journey of discovery (56k warning)

Well, as they say, since everyone else is doing it.

Here is my tank. 30g or so. It is only 2 weeks old and pretty full of plants. I plan to let the plants fight it to the top and the winner gets all! YEAH! It's BATTLE OF THE GREENERY!!!

The photo isn't so good, I will replace it with a night shot when I can.

The tank has just finished the diatom stage! Which is awesome...I was sick of looking at a cloud.

The subtrate is Japanese...it is called "Soil"*. Probably simular to Flourite.

*Note: It is actually a brand called DAZS. It is a Japanese aquarium brand which makes different things.

Last edited by Stealthy Ninja; 03-01-2006 at 03:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is the substrate the ADA Aquasoil (Amazonia?)
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett
Is the substrate the ADA Aquasoil (Amazonia?)
Dude, I'm not sure if it is the same, but it isn't that brand you said. Ah I just remembered! It is a Japanese brand named Dazs (same brand as my tank and light and glass co2 pieces and algae scraper and...that's it).

For the life of me I can't find this company's website...

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Whatever brand it is, usually genuine japanese aquarium stuff would cost me an arm and a leg... especially the one you call ADA.... But from what I have seen they seems to work too well.

Nice setup for the start, ninja. "Ni te hen hao!"
Hope it will clear up real soon and we see what you got in there.

Now eat my shuriken!! Haiyaaah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
Whatever brand it is, usually genuine japanese aquarium stuff would cost me an arm and a leg... especially the one you call ADA.... But from what I have seen they seems to work too well.

Nice setup for the start, ninja. "Ni te hen hao!"
Hope it will clear up real soon and we see what you got in there.

Now eat my shuriken!! Haiyaaah!

Umm you spoke mandarin (which I learnt in University so I understand what you are saying). But here in Hong Kong we speak Cantonese.

Yeah I've seen that ADA stuff...super expensive here too. Usually they keep that stuff in nice wooden cabinets under glass...which tells you the price must be high.

It is pretty clear now...probably a week will make it clear for good. Mainly I think the "fog" in the picture is from the glass reflection...that's my excuse anyway. LOL.

It has started to get green algae growing on the glass, which I read somewhere here means the diatom stage has finished. I am pumping in benifical bacteria (nutrafin cycle) directly into the filter via a surface skimmer as well as some in the tank to go on the leaves etc. I know the plants will take care of the fish, but I need to "feed" my filter.

I like my setup. I want the plants to grow more and sort of mesh together in a jungle style. I will then trim them the way I like (like a haircut on a hippy). I don't know if this is the normal method. If not you can call it the STEALTHY METHOD!

I'm pretty sure the long thin plant in the middle is a marsh plant (am I right?) so I'm sure it won't last forever. I will replace that with a more expensive show plant later...any suggestions? Remembering I can get plants cheap here. Also in the left corner are some hygros (as suggested by REX on his site to help with the cycle) I will probably replace them too in time. Any suggestions there?
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Ninja, nice tank for sure! I love the red bettafish on the right, and the nice wood in the mid-leftside of the tank. Nice start, looking forward to the next updated picture.

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very nice. I really like the driftwood and left-center side of the tank. Looks really great setup like that.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Nicely done. What's that tall plant in the center? Blyxa Aubertii? Also, don't ADA soils (and their generic counterparts) break down over time? I like the driftwood, by the way. Will you be adding any epiphytic plants to it? I think a big mass of narrow leaf java fern would look great there. Also, if that picture is you, then you are the only blue-eyed ninja I have ever seen lol.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere138
Nicely done. What's that tall plant in the center? Blyxa Aubertii? Also, don't ADA soils (and their generic counterparts) break down over time? I like the driftwood, by the way. Will you be adding any epiphytic plants to it? I think a big mass of narrow leaf java fern would look great there. Also, if that picture is you, then you are the only blue-eyed ninja I have ever seen lol.
Anyway, the soil will break down a bit sort of goes like mud. But not enough to cause a problem.

Everyone, it is not driftwood. It is bogwood.

No epiphytic plants (had to look that up) as I don't have the space at the top.

Not being a plant expert (yet) I actually think I have some java fern tucked in their somewhere.

I was thinking to replace the hygro with 1 amazon sword in the rear and maybe a mass of java fern in the foreground. As for the marsh plant in the middle, I'm not sure. I was thinking a lace leaf plant. What do you guys think?

Ahh my blue eyes...they are to make me blend in with the western crowd...you know like...a shadow in the night?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyll
Very nice. I really like the driftwood and left-center side of the tank. Looks really great setup like that.

Thanks and you know, I noticed most people on this site stick theirs sort of in the air? Like sticking up. I just stuck it the way I thought looked "right".
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
I wasnt sure if it was driftwood or bogwood so I just said 'wood'.
Ha, yeah I rule

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
What fish do you have?
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gaboozlebag
What fish do you have?
2 Opaline Gourami
2 Lace Gourami
1 Fighter (Betta)
4 ottos
5 Peppered Corydoras (one is an albino)
3 Rams (I had a pair and 1 died, wasn't sure if the one left was a male or female, so I got another male and female...one male/female is really lucky)
a bunch of neon and cardinal tetras
some glowlight tetras
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy Ninja
No epiphytic plants (had to look that up) as I don't have the space at the top.

Ahh my blue eyes...they are to make me blend in with the western crowd...you know like...a shadow in the night?!

Thanks and you know, I noticed most people on this site stick theirs sort of in the air? Like sticking up. I just stuck it the way I thought looked "right".
Yeah, I was trying not to look, but I noticed the blue eyes. Nice Tank Stealth. Is that Java moss? It sure looks epiphytic?? And is that a Blyxa aubertii in the middle? Its very nice! I read your post in the lounge with what... 2 blocks of local fish stores in HK? Wow is all I can say. Must be fun. Thanks for sharing regards, bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Yeah, I was trying not to look, but I noticed the blue eyes. Nice Tank Stealth. Is that Java moss? It sure looks epiphytic?? And is that a Blyxa aubertii in the middle? Its very nice! I read your post in the lounge with what... 2 blocks of local fish stores in HK? Wow is all I can say. Must be fun. Thanks for sharing regards, bob
At least you tried not to look. My sig does say to stop looking at me.

I think it is Java moss...they don't have English written on the plants in Hong Kong shops.

In the middle...I'm not really sure what it is. I will take a close up of it later.

Yeah about 2 blocks on one street, as well as off shoot streets. It's really nice to go there.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Rescape

I just love that word.

I just did a little rearranging today. Once the dust settles (oh and I removed a trouble gourami and returned him to the shop...they didn't mind of course)...anyway, once the dust settles I will take another photograph. I found what I guess is an amazon sword growing up the back (how'd that get there?!) so I moved it to the front right. I also discovered 2 red plants that look like red amazon swords...I suppose they are melon swords...so I moved them to the left where a bunch of pond weed was going crazy. I moved that pond weed to a massive single bunch on the left as well as the other pond weed I had growing everywhere.

The melon sword I "found" was growing a very large leaf...but was covered by some other plants I put in to fill space. I am happy it fought it's way to the top.

Just looking at it now (it is starting to clear) it already looks better...and the fish seem more happy too without the bully. If they are happy then I am happy....happy ninja = no choppy off heads.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode