New guy and a 40g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New guy and a 40g

Im new to the planted tank forum. There are some stunning looking aquascapes here - and a great forum too - thanks!

This is my 40g planted tank. Its about 7weeks old and im amazed at the growth rate although i had a really bad attack of the hair algae during the first month or so that im only just seeing improvements on (damn Ottos didnt do a thing - i guess im reaching the right balance of plants to waste now - hehe

Stock includes; 5 Fork tailed rainbows, Trio of Apistogramma cacautoides, and a few Ottos (who only seem to clean the top 1/4 of the tank).

Im not really happy with the right side... Id be really interested to know what you guys think of it and the overall look. Comments very welcome

Thanks again for a great forum!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Ive just found a pic of 'the happy couple' - hehe

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:52 PM

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hiya and welcome to PT. Tank looks like it is coming along nicely, what is the equipment setup? CO2?

The fish look great too. I've been wanting to try those apistos but fear a war with my blue rams during breeding. I think that might be a double red though. Someone know better than I do but the anal fin should have more "flames". Beautiful nonetheless. Glad you shared your tank..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Welcome to the planted tank. I think that your tank is good but you should make it fuller. You have some realy strange ottos...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Dank

There is 2wpg Aquaglow tubes. Yes there is CO2 input just less than the fish would be happy with. PH 7.4 - GH 10 - KH 8. (and the Apistos still breed like crazy in my straight from the tap London tap water) and undergravel heating to 25C.

Yeah the male is double red, the female is triple red. Ive kept this species for 7years now and they are the most peaceful pair ive seen.

Mr. gaboozlebag

I know, the Ottos were supposed to eat the hair algae They were more content on just sitting on my Swords!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I never heard of ottos eating hair algae. Maybe sae's but not ottos.

Macranda Farmer of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:35 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Welcome, you've got some great shots there! I'm curious about the whole top 1/4 of the glass being cleaned . . . . .

Have you seen the otos selectively clean this glass, or do you suspect another reason for the algae? Such as . . . . sunlight, current, etc.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
im guessing your lighting its being projected at your glass on an angle that is the height of your glass minus the top 4 inches.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
It could also be because he left his water level low for a while.

Macranda Farmer of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

There is no direct sunlight to the tank and the current is minimal to affect the algae growth (oh, and the water level is never left to go down. But the Ottos seem to graze more during the night so, short of staying up i guess i'll never know.

The Echinodorus tennellus growth is very slow and quickly gets black hair algae before the leaves get big... is this lack of light?

Im going to be doing a little re-scaping after the weekend with the left and right sides (a) try to disguise the outflow (b) make the whole thing fulller.

Any suggestions?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 AM

You know, on the right there are three pieces of wood sticking up. This is Ok...but it needs something more around that area. THis is what I would do.

In the back put some tall plants (whatever you like) but pack them in fairly tight (taking into account how big they will eventually grow/spead of course). Then in the middle of the right hand side put the biggest, gnarliest (in the true sense of the word) piece of bog wood you can find (or combine a few smaller pieces together to make a larger one - like in my tank) then wack a another piece of bogwood on top with some javamoss attached to it (it doesn't need to be real big, it should grow and stretch across it).

Then in front of your new root tangle, plant some medium height plants and maybe some higher ones within the medium ones (I'd plant a few of the same ones from the back to give you a constant look, like the plants that are at the back of the wood are growing all around it).

Then you can put some flat rocks here and there, and make sure you put some small plants in front of the rocks. Some how it looks better if you hide them a bit.

Now all my advice is from my head and what I think looks good. Others may disagree with me or whatever. But from a purely aesthetic point of view I think that would look better.

Basically what I am saying is:

The three sticks on the right look like they are placed there...they are too orderly (nature is normally not like that). You need more "planned randomness".

Lastly, remember the rule of thirds (ie place the main features in the thirds, not in the middle of your tank or at quarters) and try not to be too symetrical, this doesn't look natural.

BTW if you covered that hair algae with plants (in front) it wouldn't matter what it looked like...LOL
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks StealthyNinja

I think i will remove the Large swords on the right and maybe replace them with some finer leaved plants to make the tank look longer (its kinda wasted space). I kinda like the sticky up log arrangement, although, i think you are right and it might have to be more randomised.

Im gonna pick up some more pygmy chain sword for the front and rescape the right and update this post.

Thanks for all your replies, if anyone has any other suggestions before i start id be interested to know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode