AquaMedic 10000k and Planta tubes on Betowess's 90 G ... 56K beware. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
AquaMedic 10000k and Planta tubes on Betowess's 90 G ... 56K beware.

Here is a look at 2x54watt "Planta" and 2x54watt 10000k on my 90 gallon. Both are made by Aquamedic. The fixture is a Tek 4x54 watt with T5 tubes.

The picture was taken with a Canon D5 DSLR with no color correction. I have found that this camera requires very little manipulation on levels or color balance if the files are sent to a pro lab for printing. So in short, what you are seeing is what it looks like in person, with the caveat that your monitor's color profiles are about right.

The exposure in the first picture was 1/3 stop underexposed compared to the second side angle picture which had no camera adjustment made... That is why the first picture looks slightly darker and warmer. But again, I did zip color correction or level adjustment in photoshop. This is pretty much what it looks like in person.

First look... with 1/3 stop underexposure.

Side view with no exposure adjustment...

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very nice! I'm surprised at how neutral the lighting is considering the how pink the Planta has looked in Wasser's post. So do you have the bulbs staggered or outer-two/inner-two? I've known folks who have 6700K and 9325K bulbs staggered and it was sort of distracting to see the fishes change color as the swam around the tank.

Looks like I may have to invest in some new bulbs soon.

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)
Certainly looks how you described it Bob, don't know if the 8 bulb fixture would be overkill 3.6 WPG??
Thanks for the heads up on the bulbs etc

Regards,
pete

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
Very nice! I'm surprised at how neutral the lighting is considering the how pink the Planta has looked in Wasser's post. So do you have the bulbs staggered or outer-two/inner-two? I've known folks who have 6700K and 9325K bulbs staggered and it was sort of distracting to see the fishes change color as the swam around the tank.

Looks like I may have to invest in some new bulbs soon.
Thanks Bill. The color is closest in the first pic, but somewhere in between. That's about how it looks to my eye. This is with about one week burn in. From front of the tank, the first bulb is 10k,second Planta, Third 10000k and last in back is Planta. Overall, I noticed it brings out the orange in my Bosemani and Neons look a bit like they're under an actinic, if you can imagine. I still might yank one 10000k and put in a starcoat 6500K.

But this combo is not as bright as my previous four 6500k Starcoats (and I imagine not as bright as 4 10ks.) So my only concern will I be able to get popping reds. I think an ideal setup would be a 6x54 with this order: 10k,Planta, 6500k,Planta,10k,6500k. That's if I could do it all over and had enough stock in Exxon.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHalas
Certainly looks how you described it Bob, don't know if the 8 bulb fixture would be overkill 3.6 WPG??
Thanks for the heads up on the bulbs etc

Regards,
pete
Yeah, the more I think about it, I think running 6x54 more hours makes better sense than 8x54. After all a 120 is only six inches wider than a 90G. I imagine either will work, depending on the photoperiod and height above the tank. I think the only way a 8 tube Tek would be best is if you wanted to run 3 or 4 Plantas.

Pete, I'm jealous of anyone launching the perfect sized tank, either a 4 foot 120G or a 6' 180G! LOL Goodluck... bob

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
I have these tubes(AM Planta & AM Ocean White, and live in Europe), and opted for them because of the general concensus here & on other forums: the tubes ROCK..!
well maybo not so much?
According to AquaMedic the Ocean White tubes have a defect that means the tubes burn out rather fast compared to other tubes.
I bought 2 new(1 planta 1 oceanwhite) recently because I upgraded my lights to 6x54W and the difference between the old tubes and the new is amazing.
I thought the old tubes were fine, but damn, they've lost alot of color and intensity.

AM are putting out new tubes at a much higher price, because they've moved their production to a different factory, so perhaps it's time to look elsewhere for the good tubes?

I paid $33(!!) each for my new tubes, and according to the dealer the new price will be about $12 more.

imagine buying 6 new tubes.. you could buy a small house for that amount of dosh!

I've posted this post in several threads now.
I hope this wont be seen as spam

85G ; 6x54W T5 ATI Powermodule
Co2 via 6Kg bottle ; Milwaukee SMS122 Co2 controller ; Co2 reactor
Flourite RED
_
¾ tsp KNO3 3x week
¼ tsp KH2PO4 3x week
¼ tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiot View Post
I've posted this post in several threads now.
I hope this wont be seen as spam
I saw this thread and thought, gees, I must have forgotten to hit the "submit Reply" button. But now I realize that was in another section. I'm pretty sure the mods don't like us to post the same thread in two sections. But to fore warn those thinking of buying Plantas here is my take which I posted on the other thread as well... And I say this because a year back or so Scolley went out and bought a bunch of Plantas after reading this thread. That was before the verdict had come in that the Planta T5s dim way early.

"I believe there are other threads where we discussed how the Plantas grew dim way early and most of us are using a combo of 10000K and 6700K or 6500K which looks good to the eye. The hearsay is the US distributed Plantas were made by a different Asian manufacturer and they just didn't last very long. But the plants sure like that spectrum."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode