The 240 gallon photo Journal Begins. 56k beware! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
The 240 gallon photo Journal Begins. 56k beware!

All of the images are on the last page.

Last edited by Saints1804; 06-22-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 PM

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have two monitors, one of them is a widescreen so I enjoy the huge pictures. Others might not be as happy.

I would have a hard time getting to sleep at night in anticipation of starting this tank up. Looks like you found a nice spot on the wall for it as well. Not an easy thing to find a good spot for a tank that big.

I am subscribing right now, you better keep the people happy with frequent and pictureful updates
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I work from home and have lots of free time so every single thing I do will be documented and photographed. I am lucky and happen to be a 23 year old single homeowner. So I decided my formal dining room would be for this aquarium. The wall is 8 feet 6 inches I believe so an 8 ft tank was perfect. I also have 2 20 inch monitors so its no biggie but I need to get them resized for those 15 inchers out there!...

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)
Great start- what a huge tank!

Love the beagle! My Bailey is a tri-color terror....but I love her dearly.
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I have another one also. The one in the picture is Cajun, I've had her since I was 17 and im 23 so that makes her around 9. I also have another one named Gumbo who is about 3 years old and shes a little too obnoxious to get caught on camera. Im from Louisiana in case your wondering about the references to it in the names of my pets. I live in Dallas now.
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Goodie.... Lets see how this fellow big tank turns out.

A nice thing you have more length and less height than mine (so you will not end up swimming when doing the tank).

You might want to sticker the back of the tank with some black ones since the tank is stuck next to a white wall (but it is a matter of personal preferrance... you decide it). See-through tanks are different case though.

Btw, nice method of anchoring down new, unsoaked driftwood. Just make sure you have pre-treated them by boiling to remove excess tannis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
JED
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Very impressive. I look forward to following this thread and it looks like you're off to a great start. Are you planning to use a background? Thank for sharing!!!

FSP#36
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:49 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great. Have you even thought about what fish you would like to house in this huge tank?
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

I do plan on putting background. I ordered a roll of black vinyl just waiting for it to get here.

[QUOTE]Perfectblue
Looks great. Have you even thought about what fish you would like to house in this huge tank? QUOTE]

The planned species list is as follows:

Blue Discus 6-12 of them
Apistogramma Caucotoides
Apistogramma Nijseni
Pelvichromis Teaniatus or N. Nudiceps
Anomolachromis Thomasi
Discrossus Filamentosa
Cardinal Tetras (36)
Rummy Nose Tetras (36)
Columbian Red and Blue Tetras (12-24)
Congo Tetras(12)
Cherry Barbs
Sterbai Corys
Ottos
2 dozen Harlequin rasboros and at least a dozen marble hatchets!!
Havent done much research on shrimp but its my next move.
Depending if I get an african butterfly fish I might just get some Paradise or Gouramies to occupy the upper regions of the water. This is the base list im sure things will change once I get the tank up and running.

Last edited by Saints1804; 02-16-2006 at 04:13 AM.
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

** Update **

Ok so I added substrate. First I put some floor planks and a box down so I could divide my sand beach from the blasting gravel as shown in these photos:

After I did this I started washing flourite. wow that stuff is nastier than the gravel in the Oscar tanks at walmart. I have 8 bags of it to do. I got 4 of them done. I I was able to cover the sand blasting gravel completely with the 4 bags of flourite. I still have 4 bags to go. Im going to end up with a very nice deep substrate I am pleased. Without having to mix the 2 together all that much. Here are some of the photos after adding the flourite.

Tomorrow im going to get the rest of the substrate layed down. Then im going to go and purchase some river rocks so I can use it as a visual border between the sand bed and flourite. Its also going to be a divider im going to use to keep some of my different foreground plants seperated. I havent figured out exactly how im going to do it but as soon I as I know so will all of you.

This weekend I should be working on the lighting and possibly the filtration. I'll keep you guys posted!
post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wrong thread. Sorry.

Macranda Farmer of the
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

** Update **

Ok I got all of the substrate in. I also put some river rocks in to seperate the sand from the flourite. I also created some "rockbeds" that i'm going to use to seperate different types of foreground plants from running into each other. I also buried half of a coconut shell in the sand bad you'll see in one of the pictures. I'm to place 5 of them through the tank to try to provide breeding territories for apistos so I can kind of control the areas they claim. Here are a few pics of the sandbed and river rocks...

Here is a pic of the hole with the buried coconut shell...

If you guys have any suggestions regarding different plant species feel free to comment. I have put way too much thought into the fish than the plants so im very open to suggestions.
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:33 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished product. ^_^
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Looks Good

Impressive hardscape. That is a load of fish even in a 240, is the whole list going in at the same time??

[QUOTE]I am also expecting a Rex Grigg custom Reactor as well as high and low pressure regulator. Many thanks to Rex for all of his help and advice. I also ordered a Milwaukee Ph controller that should be here in the next few days. I am going to use the new Fluval FX5 filter for filtration. Its rated for 500 gallon tanks and it also has an easy water change feature built in allowing you to change water without turning it off and I think thats wonderful givin the size and amount of water changes I will be doing.[QUOTE]

I had origionally not read what your filteration plan was then re read the post. Sounds like a great filter.

How are you planning to get the water in and out of the pump. I hate dragging my WC hose around.
I'm considering plumbing to my 55 just to ease the WC ritual and your tank is 4.3x larger.
Keep us posted, I like the look so far.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

The filter im using has a valve down at the bottom that allows you to do a water change and leave the system running. The fish load is the eventual bioload. I dont plan on doing it all at once. its going to be gradual. Its definately not excessive for an 8 ft tank. I can put 150+ fish in a tank that size with filteration and the water changes i plan on doing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode