this is why shop lights suck... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
this is why shop lights suck...

seems to some that the shop light is the cheap mod of lots of light into a 48" tank. but like Rexx points out in his guide, they are made for lighting well shops. sop today i finally bought one of the coralife t5 fixtures. i need/will be getting a second one in a couple weeks when i can afford it. i know my "wattage" dropped over half from 160 to 56 but there is more light getting into the tank and it just looks worlds better. anyway here are a few pictures for you to look at. i dunno why there is a dark spot in the middle but the water sprite needs a trim and the tank needs to be filled so ignore that.

notice the light on the floor and wall
, plus the yellowish color tint.

T5 shot, pretty much self explanitory

close up

that is all.lemme know what you think.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Please correct me if i'm wrong but, doesn't a good reflector help the light get into the tank?

Now are you using different lights and same reflector?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yes a good reflector helps get light into the tank. shop lights dont have good DOWNWARD reflectors.

i am using a whole new entire fixture. new bulbs, new reflectors everything i sall new. the shop lights havent come down from the ceiling yet.

all gone now

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
That is quite a difference, Geoff. Looks good!

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff
yes a good reflector helps get light into the tank. shop lights dont have good DOWNWARD reflectors.

i am using a whole new entire fixture. new bulbs, new reflectors everything i sall new. the shop lights havent come down from the ceiling yet.
Has anyone experienced good shop lights with a really good reflector? If so, let me know how it goes!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i was planning to make my own reflector but i decided it wouldnt be worth it. plus i just like the t5's much better. they have very few downsides in my veiws.

all gone now

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Shop lights work much, much better without the legs. Then the light reflects off the inside of the glass instead of scattering outside the tank. But, of course a purpose designed reflector would work much better yet. The bigger problem is the fat tubes block the reflected light from the back of the tube.

Hoppy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 02:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
that tanks looks great
im a fan of T-5's so im all for it!
i think it looks great, plenty of light.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think your plants mind too much, they are looking very healthy.

Macranda Farmer of the
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
If non-aquarium metal halides counts as "shop lights" then it worked well enough for me. The only problem is the bulb. I highly recommend anyone who would want to go this way to change into some quality aquarium bulbs. My tanks pearl more during the first month, as time goes by the light emmited from the MH are getting yellower, eventually the lumens and kelvin rate drops down a bit and I get less pearling. I would go for 10,000K bulbs instead of shop's 5700K next time!

If it goes for T12/T8 fixtures, I would never try that. Such fixtures will never reach what I want. Too many spills and sites of loss. I even regret getting cheapo aquarium fluoroscent fixtures that does not work 100%. I figure that they works well for fish but not good enough for plants (even though you swap the bulbs into correct ones).

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have run 4X normal T8 for quite some time. The draw is that a pair of lamps run ~ $5 in 4100K or 6700K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
Has anyone experienced good shop lights with a really good reflector? If so, let me know how it goes!

Moved to Tucson.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am using two t-8 shoplights and love them. The lighting is even, and since they are resting on top of the tank not much light escapes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Urkevitz - my lights couldnt sit on top of the tank due to filter and the place it is placed. the tank is on a slightly slanted ground. too much IMO.

Medicine man - your MH's dont count. those are working well and industrail halides are a good thing. these lights just had poor reflectors and color. i think i got some stuff sold so expect another t5 on there soon. plus some moon lights.

all gone now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode