Finally made it happen...the jungly 20L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Finally made it happen...the jungly 20L

Been daydreaming for a while about having a 20 long, and finally was able to make it happen. I'm not completely new to the game, but this is the biggest tank I've done so far. I have a 2.5, 1.5, and Walstad bowl as well, and since they all run decently well I figured why not.

Album here... http://imgur.com/a/rmcSW

So...what it's got:

Aquaclear 50 HOB
Hydor 150w heater
2x 23w 5000K CFLs in basic clamp light fixtures
Floramax/pool filter sand substrate

Plants:
Rotala rotundifolia
R. indica
Alternanthera reineckii
Dwarf sag
Blyxa japonica
Green cabomba
Crypt lutea
Banana plants x3

Citizens:
7 black neon tetras
1 penguin tetra (LFS getting more in in a couple days, this one came with the neons from petco)
2x julii cory cats (most likely three-lined cories, sold at petco as juliis. Did some research, and mine do look more like C. trilineatus)
1 blue dwarf gourami

I didn't have anything specific in mind design-wise, just wanted to try some stuff and see what looks good to me. I'm not really planning on adding many more fish...maybe a couple penguin tetras and cories to go with the ones already there. Everyone seems to get along okay, though the cories still get skittish at times. And even with my meddling, the plants are making themselves right at home; I found what looks like a bit of rotundifolia sprouting from the gravel this morning. More coming; the way these plants are taking off already, this should get interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You're definitely getting nice growth on the plants. Plenty of time to think about refining the layout once you get a feel for how the plants grow for you in the larger tank.

Glad to hear you're getting the corys some playmates. Once you've got their numbers up, you'll have a nice stocking level with some wiggle room left in it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like that.

Do you have the lights clamped on the rim of the tank? Looks like they are sitting on a glass top.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are clamped on the back edge of the rim, and I set them so they rest on the glass like that. I just have to remember to turn them to the side when I swing them up to open the lid...it's like a camera flash right in the eyes if I don't. Learned that one pretty quick.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Really nice job on this tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
What size tank is that Arowana in....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Finally made it happen...the jungly 20L

You know penguins get huge right?? Like huge huge

- Mumford

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd say that arowana tank was maybe 5'x2'x3' length/width/height. First time I'd seen one that size up close, looked kinda scary (in a haunted-house kind of way).

Mumford...good catch, that is probably the one thing I overlooked. I may hold off on getting more of them for now. The one I have gets along okay with the neons and will school up with them on occasion, but I'll definitely keep size and temperament in mind.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbowling View Post
I'd say that arowana tank was maybe 5'x2'x3' length/width/height. First time I'd seen one that size up close, looked kinda scary (in a haunted-house kind of way).
Phew, the picture looked like it was a tiny little tank :P

EDIT: Maybe that's just me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode