Always too shy- but coming out of the closet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Always too shy- but coming out of the closet

I always saw the beautiful pics on this site (and others) and always strived to accomplish an artistic creation of my own. I felt like I needed to do more. and then more... and then a little more... But today I put up some pics that I wasn't very happy with, but when I looked at them on the forum I realized I might actually be happy enough to want to share, and happy enough to be desperate for comment from the experts on how I can do better instead of fearing I would deserve to hear- do your research and then come back to us!

I am unloading a whole bunch of the plants in this tank so I can make room for more subtle stuff.. (thank you little cobra)

So what would you guys do with this? Since the tank is viewable in the room on three sides I would like to have a centerpiece and a foreground rolling to the base, but the driftwood might be a little tall for that- should I get rid of it?

It is a 90 gal with 220 w of Pc ruining now- have an additional 220 laying around, but I don't want to cause problems... Auto CO2 with Ph controller (obviously not running appropriately yet- but I am getting to it) and amaxingly efficent rex reactor, UV starlizer and no real dosing schedule yet... any comments are welcome..
Will try to get pics of the foreground plants growing in it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90gal feb10-06 back.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2413  

Name:	90galfeb10-06 front.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	2414  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You definitely have the grow part down. Very healthly plant growth, and it looks good. Maybe, try some midground plants. Some of your stem plants are up front and growing too tall for the foreground. Try to open it up alittle more and have a more defined foreground

You seem to be well on your way. I think it has lot of promise.

55 & 58 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What do you think would be appropriate for mid ground?
I am afraid to move in some java fern or anubias as I think I have too much light? What is it what will stay moderate? I have some baby tears that are in there already- you just can't tell because it is overwhlemed... and some moss covered rocks that I can prop up in from of the others...Some dwarf sag that doesn't know it is dwarf:-) and some liboella courtesy of eds that should fill in nicely if I can get the big stuff out... also I have a bunch of smaller tiger lotus that is about 5=6" tall right now- but in my experience they grow as big as you give them room for... in a 90 they could easily get 24' tall even if I clip every surface leaf. I think they look perfect in a medium size tank (29gall- see pic of my low light tank attached) but they are out of control in a big tank.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trying attachment again...
You can see Nymphea rubra on the right- wow it has gotten bigger in the last 2 months. In a big tank it takes over...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bedroom 29 dec05.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2422  

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:05 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Looks really natural I like it, well thats how nature should look anyways. Agree with cprroy73, you need some forground and midgroud because those tall stems plants are hiding some of the plants in the back. I am not a big fan of the driftwood placement, maybe you can add some moss to it. Get some glosso or HC(if you up to it) put it as your forground and it should looks no less then those high end tanks.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know how it got so out of control- this was the same tank in early January and I've already clipped some of them drastically once...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new 90 fist plant piano side.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	2423  

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your worried about it being out of control. Well don't be. There could be other problems that are more troublesome like algae. You are doing fine.

You've learned to grow plants without much algae, at least I cant see any. That is the most important thing to master IMO.

Remember, to keep your co2 and fert inline. Good luck.

55 & 58 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Turbo,
When you posted the January (then) photo and I scrolled back up and looked at the (now) photo, my jaw dropped. I started my tank during the Christmas break, but have absolutely nowhere near the growth you have. You gotta be doing something (way more than) right !

Working on setting up my 75G after a few year break thanks to a house flood.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
What ferts are you dosing and co2? That is some amazing growth though. Have you got any fore and mid ground plants yet?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank was still cycling at that point, so I was doing 1/2 recommended greg watson PMDD and Excel because I had airstones in the tank to keep the O2 up during the cycle and with that much surface agitation CO2 would never have worked and I needed to get my KH up before I started the CO2. The substrate is whatever I had laying around, probably 70/30 gravel/flourite. I did add some plant tabs to the substrate when I first planted it in Jan.

Now I am double dosing PMDD and that barely keeps my nitrates readable and running my CO2 at whatever will give me nice pearling and doesn't stress the fish.. I haven't really checked the actual levels... One of these days.

The lights are AH supply 220 w CF - and I will say those reflectors make ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. about 11 hours a day. Lights on at 7am, off at 11:30 back on at 2:30pm-9pm Not for any other reason than I work during the day and I want the lights on when I am home to enjoy it.

I YANKED A TON of plants and started to replant.
For foreground I have a bunch of stuff:
dwarf harigrass (which is in that picture you just can't tell)
Elatine Triandra
glosso
the mini riccia that's in the first pics
some naorrow and wide leafed micro swords-
Whatever likes it best in the tank wins...

For mid ground I have some smaller leaved stems that I intend to keep trimmed:
rotala indica
Micranthemum micranthemoides
Micranthemum umbrosum
moss rocks- java and weeping
Lobelia
Macranda narrow
Didiplis diandra

I just replanted so we'll see how it goes. I added about 15 new species- and its too much- and I definitely have too much red in the tank- I added a lot of red plants and I think I may have gone overboard. What else is new. It looks too busy, but its just so hard to pick just a few. I think I have over 50 in there now..
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated pics

I just took these, they are not the greatest considering its still light out so I get reflections on the glass - OH and that I suck at taking these pictures- someday I will figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	entry side fullshot 3-3-06.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	2538  

Name:	room side full 3-3-06.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2539  

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some close ups of my foreground/midground that still needs to grow in a little
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	right roomside foreground 3-3-06.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	2540  

Name:	left roomside foreground 3-3-06.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	2541  

Name:	left entry side foreground 3-3-06.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2542  

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do have some really nice color to my L. aromatica and red cabomba
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reds 3-3-06.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	2543  

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Wow, looks terrific Turbo! You must be keeping your nitrates low with all that popping red color. Is that a 3 foot 90g? Very nice job and the foreground looks great. bob (BTW, the images look like your camera or program is over sharpening it a little).

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nope- its 4 foot.

Yes, the nitrates are way low, I have trouble getting them up to 5ppm and they get right back to zip each morning. The reds are really popping. I am not trying to keep my nitrates low- I just can't seem to get enough of them in there- and I feed those angels like crazy on top of my pmdd - gonna have to make some changes in my dosing. Nothing too drastic.

Any ideas how to stop the oversharpening? its the camera- I don't fiddle with the pics, I can barely get them uploaded without throwing it out the window.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode