Wez's 40gal breeder journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wez's 40gal breeder journal

Hi guys...

I'm setting up a 40gal breeder. My eco-complete has not yet arrived, but I just received my manzanita from manzanita.com...

Here's what I have in mind...

Is the wood slightly too long?
Also, perhaps the parts that reach towards the top of the tank shouldn't be at the same level...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:56 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Umm... For the wood, I'm thinking maybe cut some out of the middle and put it back together and sand it so it loos seamsless to make it shorter.

Or let me buy your droftwood because I like it. :P
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Looks good!

Now, lets see what you do with it!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like that manzanita a lot, what type is it? I was looking at Manzanita.com and wondered which category you ordered from, and how much was the total cost?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:31 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Nice wood, that's a cool peice. ALMOST too big, i'd say! I guess it's like Mike said, it's all about what you can do with it!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 PM

I think it's just right. Burry it in the substrate as is. It's a dramatic piece. Looks good set just of center. I like the hieght being uniform. Give kind of a sense of an unbalanced balance. You can try to hard to make something look natural and wind up with a very un natural looking tank. You can offset the hieght with plants. Possibly a couple uniformly grey stones. Put one in the back left corner and one in front just left of center, and a drak substrate to bring out the red of the wood. Just my opinion though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Planted Member

I agree - it's gorgeous. I've been looking around a lot at different aquascapes trying to get ideas for my new 85 and have come to the conclusion that the main mistake people make is not going too big, but being too timid with hardscape. A really great piece of wood like that can be the focal point of a really dramatic aquascape.

No pressure, though (LOL).

PS: I'm also curious about your experience with manzanita.com.

-- Robin --
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:47 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabwyo
Give kind of a sense of an unbalanced balance.
That's killer Spud.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I have quite a lot of wood left over...probably a lifetime supply...

I emailed them and got a call back the next morning.

When I told Rich that I wanted them for an aquarium, he said they have two aquarium packages available...the 30 dollar and the 70 dollar package. These are sandblasted manzanita branches. I ended up getting the 70 dollar package and that cost another 19 dollars to ship. It comes in a 30" box and there's more than I'll ever need.

PM me if you'd like to buy some...

oh yeah...that's three pieces of wood stuck together...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

update 2-23-06

Okay...so my eco-complete...well...most of it...finally arrived.

I was thinking about the wood as hardscape and I decided that the original setup was a bit contrived. I don't quite like the valley in the middle approach, but would rather have everything flowing in one direction.

I've now gone for the riverbank approach. I plan to terrace the rear of the tank with eco and then slope it towards the front. The idea is to make it look like the wood is reaching out from the river bank. In the picture, it does seem awkward that that the branch on the right is higher than on the left. However, it seems to look good in person. What do you guys think?

I think I'll leave it like this for a couple of days and keep on critiquing it as I walk by...if it stands the test of time...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:16 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I like the idea. The execution looks good as well. I don't like the how the two smaller pieces on the left are laid over the larger bits, though. Too parallel.

You have a ton of wood. How about playing around a bit more? How about trying to drop the wood out of the top left hand corner? So it flows from the top down to the bottom, like a fallen branch.

If I am not mistaken, the manzanita is going to be pretty buoyant, so you may need to soak it.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

now that you mention it...the two pieces are pretty parallel...

yeah...I'll let it sit that way for a day or so and then come back to it...I don't have your natural abilities...hahaha...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

filled it up...

Well...the rest of the eco-complete arrived and I couldn't resist trying to fill the tank up.

I've added and moved the wood a bit. I didn't fill it up all the way because a couple of the pieces of wood are still somewhat buoyant. I'll wait until they soak in some water before I try anything else.

In the meantime, I can fiddle with the hardscape. I took Momo's advice and tried a couple of different configurations. I'm fairly happy with the current configuration, but, of course, any critique is appreciated...

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Update 4-7-06

Click images for larger versions...

Shortly after initial planting on 3-20-06

4-7-06

Ferts and CO2 not yet started...

I'm thinking the crypts on the left side don't really fit in with the other plants that I have going...what do you guys think?

Should I leave the right side empty or should I put something there?

As far as CO2, I still haven't decided whether I should go for a diffuser or a reactor. I have an AM1000 reactor ready, but the flow rate that it requires would probably not be healthy for my cherry red shrimp.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like the crypts on the left, once they grow out they leaves will flow over the driftwood nicely.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode