Progress on 75 gallon Piranha tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Progress on 75 gallon Piranha tank

Here's a few more pics of my tank.
Earlier post is here -->>https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...obie-here.html
It's coming along and getting a bit easier with help from a friend (DippY EGGs)and some great advice here as well.
I've started using some Flourish products Excel, Iron,Phosphourous,Potassium,Nitrogen and Comprehensive Plant suppliment.
I added a DIY CO2 thing with a small reactor on a small powerhead and it works great.
I'm planning on gutting and changing it around after I get some more plants.
I'm open for suggestions
Here's the pics.

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 02-07-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 PM

awesome job!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 PM

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks awesome. Only suggestion I would have concerns the open area in front. Could you try something like a riccia floor? Glosso maybe. Or does he/she keep that area open from swimming around?

You've done a great job so far. One of the best big-fish tanks. I had an Oscar once and I brought home some anacharis or something to try. While I was placing it in the gravel I know I heard him laughing. Within probably ten minutes it was just like Times Square on New Years with confetti flying everywhere.

What is the cleanup crew in there? Does he eat shrimps?

Picture 2 is my favorite

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Đank
Looks awesome. Only suggestion I would have concerns the open area in front. Could you try something like a riccia floor? Glosso maybe. Or does he/she keep that area open from swimming around?

You've done a great job so far. One of the best big-fish tanks. I had an Oscar once and I brought home some anacharis or something to try. While I was placing it in the gravel I know I heard him laughing. Within probably ten minutes it was just like Times Square on New Years with confetti flying everywhere.

What is the cleanup crew in there? Does he eat shrimps?

Picture 2 is my favorite
Thanks Guys,
I have 7 Otocinclus Catfish, 1 pleco ,1 whiptail catfish ,a couple dozen ghost shrimp,some jumbo and black neons and a few danios.
I've noticed some really small shrimp in there too so they must be doing OK.
I had problems at first losing a few but I think they were in poor health when I got them. These ones are thriving.
Your story on Oscars brings back frustrating memories for me..lol
I want to get some low cover plants for the front of the tank, I noticed some grassy type plant at Petsmart and think I'm going to grab some.
The piranha isn't very active and can't be bothered chasing anything in the tank. I haven't really lost anything since the tank has grown in but if convenient I'm sure he'll take an easy snack.
Thanks again.
Pete
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 PM

PTrader: (13/100%)
I bet most people miss the shrimp in picture 2. The background blends so well in that shot it creates tremendous depth. It looks like it leads right to land, right at the top of the tank. Look at that last shot - looks like you matched the background perfectly. I really like your tank.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The tank looks great, IMO, especially since you used alot of the same species of plant more than once. My only concern is the Piranha; he looks trapped, IMHO. Shouldn't Characins be kept in schools or is he the solitary type? Nonetheless, best Piranha tank I've seen to date.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 AM

Every time I tried keeping more than 1 piranha I'd eventually end up with one big one and a few pieces of the smaller ones.

Very nice looking tank, but the water bottle on the right side really detracts. What is its purpose? There's got to be a way to replace it with something less obvious.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Planted Member

looks good doesnt the piranah eat the smaller fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please comment on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
photo album
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Đank
I bet most people miss the shrimp in picture 2. The background blends so well in that shot it creates tremendous depth. It looks like it leads right to land, right at the top of the tank. Look at that last shot - looks like you matched the background perfectly. I really like your tank.
To be honest, I missed the shrimp in that pic but after looking there's 2 I can make out.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
The tank looks great, IMO, especially since you used alot of the same species of plant more than once. My only concern is the Piranha; he looks trapped, IMHO. Shouldn't Characins be kept in schools or is he the solitary type? Nonetheless, best Piranha tank I've seen to date.
It's a solitary species and tollerates no piranha tankmates.I plan on changing the tank around to accomodate him better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaiac_boy
Every time I tried keeping more than 1 piranha I'd eventually end up with one big one and a few pieces of the smaller ones.
Will serra species it's really difficult to keep them together.

Very nice looking tank, but the water bottle on the right side really detracts. What is its purpose? There's got to be a way to replace it with something less obvious.
That is something I dropped in for the CO2 with a powerhead attached , it works well but it looks like crap, I agree. I'm going to add something different soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleystinks
looks good doesnt the piranah eat the smaller fish?
It's not worth the trouble for him to chase them, I'm sure that given a chance he will snack on anything close but he's pretty happy with his thawed smelt, shrimp or tilapia fillets that he gets daily.
I don't feed live food to my fish other than earthworms and everyone in the tank loves them.
Thanks for the comments and help from everyone.
I've really grown to like the planted aspect of aquariums.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM

what i always wondered with piranha, when you put your hand in to clean the tank side or whatever, aren't you afraid he'll bite your hand off?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebearer101
what i always wondered with piranha, when you put your hand in to clean the tank side or whatever, aren't you afraid he'll bite your hand off?
lol,
They aren't like that at all. You need to be careful and use common sense.
They do have some killer teeth.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Pre-plants video of piranha eating

Here's a quick vid of my rhom eating some smelt and shrimp.
No goldfish were harmed during the making of this video..
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...42ZCK23BUKQVGU
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Here's the latest picture .
It seems like everything you do in a tank creates a "learning experience".lol

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
nice tank....it has became one of my favorites

Kevin
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes, very nice tank. Does the Pirahna move around much?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode