Dudleys 20 gallon journal, moss wall trap (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry Dudleys 20 gallon journal, moss wall trap (56k warning)

Hey all I had an old thread but I kind off messed it up sorry! So I decided to start a new one from scratch.

Here is a picture of my tank 8 months ago. It was a bit of a jungle as you can see and after a few months I ran out of time to look after it properly. The plants kind of died of 1 by one so I have started again from scratch. A new thread for a new beginning.

It has been all planted up now for about 2 weeks so needs to grow in a bit better! the new images are below

Here is a list of the fish I have. Some people might think I am overstocked but everything is going fine.

Fish:
12 neon tetras
8 harlequin rasboras
2 rams, male and female bred before hopefully again
2 angels think one may be male the other female not to sure what is the differnce?
Gold nugget plec
1 guppy

Plants:
Glosso
Dwarf hair grass
Anubias
Java moss
Java fern
Cabomba
A reddish green plant in the left corner, does anyone know its name?
riccia

Perspective view

Front view

I have a question to ask regarding my gold nugget plec. What do they eat I have tried cucumber, lettuce and potato as I have read in places anything else?

Iím planning to make a java moss wall for the whole back of the tank when I can grow enough and i am hoping my hairgrass will grow taller.

Any suggestions or comments would be great

Cheers Dudley

Last edited by dudleystinks; 02-26-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Holy goodness those are big pictures! I feel like I'm in the tank!!!!

Nice growth, and good plant (and fish!) selection.

Plant in left: Hygrophila polysperma "sunset"?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey thanks esarkipato the pictures arenít too big are they should I make them smaller?

Iím really worried about my gold nugget he doesnít seem to be interested in any food I have put in.

I have tried:

Lettuce
Cucumber
Potato
Peas
Sweet corn
Broccoli

I think I will try some meaty food next like prawns and brine shrimp maybe I will get catfish pellets. The lettuce looked like it had been eaten but I think it just went funny in the water? Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I also need your opinions on whether I should get pressurised co2 or get better lights. At the moment I have 3 20wat fluorescent tubes in the tank and the Hagen yeast c02 thing. So what do you think? I would love to get both maybe some time in the future but at the moment I only have enough cash for 1 of them. The other option is to set up another 10gallon in my room if I can talk my dad around to thinking it wont fall through the floor of my room

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks nice.

Let me know how the Glosso and Dwarf Hair Grass do with the 3x20W light setup. I am going to be running similar lighting (3x20W 6700K T-8 tubes) until I can scrape together the cash for decent PC setup.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well vandyll what you see there is what has grown in 2 weeks and there wasnít that much of it in there in the 1st place. 2 pots of gloso and a small bit of hairgrass taken from my 2.5 gallon nano sorry I donít have any picks of before. And thatís all growing in just plane black sand. Word of advice though hairgrass doesnít go well with gravel in my experience e.g. fluorite I have tried it and it just died.

Thanks for you help with the gold nugget vandyll but i would like some more advice from other people on here please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please comment on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
photo album
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 PM

Hey Dudley,

Gold Nuggets usually get most of their nutrition from left over food and algae. If there is no algae or left over food present, supplement with high quality flake food, sinking carnivore pellets, and freeze-dried bloodworms and tubifex. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This website has tons of info on plecos and catfish. Heres a link for info on your gold nugget pleco http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/lor...anci/153_F.PHP let me know if it helps.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I tried the prawns but with no success but maybe it will eat them when the lights are out. I will be going to lfs on Saturday or Sunday so will buy an assortment of food to see what he likes

Has anyone tried a java moss wall out of interest? Also how do you guys take such good pictures of your fish my fish pictures always turn out blurred and I would love to post some good ones here!

thanks for the site Bsaint very good one

please comment on my
photo album
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have ram eggs! wohoo!!! This is the 2nd time they have bred. 1st time the eggs got eaten by my shrimp but my shrimp all died shortly after Now i am not sure if I should take the eggs of where they have laid them, the pump. Or leave them.

What is the best way to move them because I have a breeding trap to put them in but i am scared of damaging them!

i will some some pics later i i can get some good ones

pleco still isnt eating will be getting him algae wafers and catfish pellets tommorow as people have suggested

please comment on my
photo album
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:41 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Sorry I can't help w/ the ram eggs dudleystinks, but CONGRATS!!! I'm so jealous. Maybe you should let the ram couple learn how to rear the fry, from what I hear they will get better the more they do it (no pun intended :P)
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
IME, Rams are excellent parents, Dudley. You might want to wait unti the fry are freeswimming before separating them from the parents. I raised some a year or two ago. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...-1-14-a-2.html

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks unirdna your album was very usefull! But i decided i would put the eggs in my breeding trap if this way doesnt work then i will try leaving them in again next time

How many rams did you get from a single batch of eggs? I have a spare 10 gallon i will probably have to set up for them when they get bigger.

I am hoping i can sell the babies to the lfs but i dont know if they will buy fish of me. I know they will take fish for free because i had an over sized plec but maybe they will be differnt with young small fish.

You obviously know the differnce between the angel fish sexes so could you tell me please?

please comment on my
photo album
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleystinks
You obviously know the differnce between the angel fish sexes so could you tell me please?
You assume too much . Yes, I have a couple breeding pairs, but that doesn't mean I can sex the darn things. I put 5+ in a tank, let them grow, and they pair off. The one that lays the eggs is the female . Until they spawn, no observation method is foolproof. Google "angelfish sexing" and you'll get all kinds of dilettantes that think they have the magic bullet.

I raised many dozens of ram fry in a 10 gallon tank until they reached 1cm or so. Then, they started to die (probably because my sponge filter had not yet colonized), so I moved them to a large planted tank where they reached maturity. I think a 10 gal could easily raise 20-40 rams to "pet store" size, IF you maintain good water quality.

And your LFS will likely give you store credit for rams. A big, sloppy pleco is more of a PIA than an asset - it will be hard to sell. But, rams (and angelfish) are lucrative and popular. Locally raised always do better than imported. The stores know this. On your first visit (with the manager), take him 5-10 fish to "test". Once they sell, you'll have a client as long as you are breeding. I established relationships with many local stores. I used to wonder how I would unload so many angelfish, endlers, cherry shrimp... Now, I can't keep up with the demand. Raise beautiful, healthy fish and you'll have a market .

Best of luck to ya. It's a lot of fun (when it works )

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:18 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Congrats on the Ram eggs! It seems like you're having some nice success in the tank.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I hope your right unirdna if I cant sell them I will have to get a lot of tanks They havenít hatched out yet I canít wait its like waiting to open your Christmas presents when youíre a kid! I heard they take 48 hours to hatch is that right? If it is they should hatch out tomorrow! I bought them some tiny food today. Hikari 1st bites. It is really fine like icing sugar. Here is a picture and a link about it. Anyone else used this before?

www.hikariusa.com/ consumer_comments.htm

The gold nugget is still causing me trouble. I bought algae wafers and it doesnít like them! I bought bloodworm and I think it eat 1! What can I do? And whatís worse I seen a bristle nose plec today which I had been looking for, for ages. I had no luck finding one so bought a gold nugget

please comment on my
photo album

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode