hi,

Started this tank on 01 October 2005

Initial setup

Initial planting

1st day

1st month

2nd month

3rd month

Would like to get comments/suggestions to improve this tank.

TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
improve? how could you improve it looks GREAT! the initial planting is sooo good it looks like its right out of the rainforest or amazon or...wow looks really good. i liked the ricca??? in the fourth pic and the micro sword? beside it . but meh just my taste its cool to try things out likt ricca anyways..
it would be great to get some specs, dosing lighting tank size( I think is a 75 gallon right...) anyways keep it up!!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome

VERY nice looking tank, new to planted tanks here so gettin great ideas, like how most of the weight is to one side, gives it a great look.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Planted Member

looks grea wish mine was that good, maybe just background needed
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Very nice. It kind of makes me want to do some aquascaping as opposed to my glass box full of 100,000 kinds of plants.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

Thats quite a tank you got there. Whats the specs/equip on that tank? How's it like taking care of red-lined torpedo barbs?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:03 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love it! I really like the open space on the one side -- very beautiful and it looks like all is growing really well so far.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well, you probably realize how un-balanced this lay out is. The tank would really look better if the right half of it were sliced off. It's great that you can grow glosso (I think?) but right now that field on the right detracts more than it helps, and seems completely separate from the left side. Try this, cut the glosso lawn back away from the glass, then dig out the substrate in the front to fill with sand, making a thin line of sand. Either that, or let the glosso gro in front of the swords on the left side as well-- one way or another, you have to connect the foregrounds. Then expand the wood work and background plants into the right side. This should help, but I don't know-- this shape is not too easy and since the hardscape that exists is already so powerful, the added hardscape has to be something that won't be over powered by the existing one, and won't detract from it.

No matter what, having 2 foregrounds just looks unnatural and strange. Worst was probably when you had that huge bulg of riccia, but the existing foreground is also weird (so are those crypts in the middle of the glosso field). You got to combine the foregrounds.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 AM

I dunno. I kind of like the empty extended foreground to the right. One of the winners of the last AGA contest had a similar thing with a solitary lily on the right side.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

hi,

thanks for looking and nice comments.

here is the tank specs:
Size : 48 X 18 X 18
Volume : 50 gal (60 US gal)
Ligthing : 5 X 36W Philips 865/4P PLL, 2 X 36W ADA PLL
Substrate : Powersand & ADA AquaSoil Amazonia
CO2 : Pressurized tank, 3-4 bps
pH : 6.5
KH : 0-1
Fish : 5 Puntius Denissoni, 7 Madagascar Rainbow, 2 Apisto, 2 SAE, 6 Ottos, 3 Female Rainbow, 2 X Anglefish (Removed 3 boesmani rainbow, 1 Blue Rainbow, 2 Apple Red Rainbow, 2 Pakinsonni Rainbow)
Plant : Glosso, Crypt, Ludwigia Repens, Tonina sp. Belem, Tonina sp. Fluivatlis, Bolbitis, Hygro, Micro Sword, Anubias Nana, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa, Crineum
Fert : 5ml Brighty K mon-fri, 5ml Brighty Step2 mon-fri, 2-3 drops ECA mon-fri
WC : Sat or Sun, 30-50 %

D.gilly,
i like riccia too, but it can easily float, too much debris, already removed

chris76424,
i try to make it triangular shaped

dudleystinks,
i like not to have background, almost all my tank don't have background.

guaiac_boy,
i like the empty space too, most of fishes like to hang out above the empty space most of the time esp. during feeding time

a deadly fart,
the red line torpedo barb, puntius denissoni, very active swimmer, require a lot of space, first to reach food, search for food even in the glosso..

greenmiddlefinger, tq for the suggestion, fyi, right in the middle is newly planted tonina sp. belem, should grow taller in a month, and the back is the red plant, Ludwigia sp repens. In time, the middle plant will balance the layout, i hope. i hate glosso, never trim it from day one, don't know how, and it is out of control. i like those crypts in the middle of the glosso field, if i try to plant somewhere else, it will be hidden.

What if i remove the glosso completely, do you think it is better? Replace with blyxa japonica at the back and micro sword in the front.

Closer View

Middle View

Right View

Left View

TQ
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 AM

hi, i am from malaysia also.... i realise tat my drifwood has made the water become a bit yellowish in color... is tat just me or it is nature to be like that???

thanks,
willie
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

hi willie,

'"the stain in your water with a yellow color is the tannins contained in the wood. boiling driftwood will have remove much of the tannins contained in the wood. soaking driftwood in a container will also help release the tannins before it is introduced into the aquarium. this process can take quite a bit of time. it can be weeks or even months before most of the tannins are released." - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

i use driftwood called 'teras' driftwood, a bit expensive than the usual malaysian driftwood, but with little or no stain, and also with smooth surface.

TQ
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:25 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger
Well, you probably realize how un-balanced this lay out is. The tank would really look better if the right half of it were sliced off. It's great that you can grow glosso (I think?) but right now that field on the right detracts more than it helps, and seems completely separate from the left side.
I don't think that's the case. I like the idea of leaving an "open field" like that to give the fish a nice open space to swim.

Looks great! Hope to see some more pics of it soon!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasfish View Post

Right View
is that glosso or HC? on the foreground...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM

you've got some beautiful scapes nasfish....Sorry can't really suggest something since your tank looks perfect before my eyes....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode