UPDATE..Another 55 gal. journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
UPDATE..Another 55 gal. journal

I have finally figured out how to post pictures thanks to the cartoon guy with a flaming card in his hand thank-you. I have had this tank set up for about 8 months. It has seen very few changes from set up until the following picture, except that the plants were in better shap before GA set in. I finally won that battle with the discovery of this sight . You guys helped me win that battle and begin a new obsession. Anyway, here is the before picture, hopefully my picture taking skills will impove along with my tank.

Next picture is after installing: XP2, rex reactor, CO2 w/needle vlv, lpr, chk vlv, coke bottle bubble counter. I rescaped the left 2/3 of the tank by removing and adding plants etc. Lost a tiger barb in the process.

I showed this post to my wife and she said that the pictures do not do the change any justice. I have got to improve my photography skills. I just purchased a Canon SD400 and I know it takes better pics than this. I'll practice and update with better pics. It seems like someone mentioned to try a web sight called aquaticphotography.com. I'll give that a shot .

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite

Last edited by fishwhisperer; 03-05-2006 at 01:02 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
I think you're refering to me. Good start. I think I prefer the first scape more. I liked the java midground style, but that's me. The newer scape look great as well. Although I miss the moss on the wood and the fact that it hid the heater so well in the first picture.

General Photo tip: Lights on for the tank. No lights in the room, and no camera flash. That should give you good shots. And for close ups macros don't forget to push that "flower" icon (macro mode) on the SD400.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Keep it Poppin!

the KK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry krazykid, I couldn't remember your name . I have read many of your threads and really appreciate your input/insight on the sight as well as my post.

Quote-I think I prefer the first scape more. I liked the java midground style,

I liked it too, however I have been growing java moss, fern and crypts for a couple of years now and am ready for some new plants. I am hoping the cabomba, wisteria and ludwigia grows in to hide the heater. Also, the line where the ludwigia stops the tall java fern begins going all the way across to the spray bar, where I plan on putting in more spiralis. Infront of the tall java fern is a row of some native looking lidwigia (I saved it from a local school who bought it from a lfs and didn't even have a light on top of their tank).
I have the moss in another tank waiting for everything else to take off. The moss grows like a weed in my tanks. I also plan to put in a carpet plant. Oh yeah, there is a dwarf lilly bulb planted behind the right hand side of the center pieces of driftwood.

A few q's if you don't mind.
How do you do the blue box quotes?
How do you attach a link in a post?
Is there a way to attach the moss back on the driftwood that will keep it tight to the wood?

I have 10k and actinic bulbs in my light fixture, will the plants that I have grow well until the bulbs blow or should I go ahead and replace the bulbs, cost is not a problem?

I am using Excel and Flourish w/Iron, however I am not dosing macros yet. How, important is it for me to start if I only use 130w of my light.

Thanks again

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer
A few q's if you don't mind.
1. How do you do the blue box quotes?
2. How do you attach a link in a post?
3. Is here a way to attach the moss back on the driftwood that will keep it tight to the wood?
4. How do you do the blue box quotes?
1. Simply put whatever you want to quote in these tags [ quote]...[ /quote] without the spaces in between the [ and /

2. There's a globe and paper clip icon (underneath the smiley faces) when your reply. Simply select the a text for a title: for example Type the text 'another 55.gal journal' then while highlighted, hit the world/paper clip icon and copy paste the url of your journal in the prompt. You can stick this in your signature too.

3. Easiest way is attach the moss is to either staple it, or take some black thread and wrap it around the the moss and driftwood. By the time the moss attaches it self, the thread will rot away.

4. The 10K is good. the actinic is not really useful for plants (but people like the color it gives off) the 9325GE bulbs are great bulbs. You might want to change it up to get more light, but more light = growth, ferts, CO, algae, etc.

5. Well it doesn't look like your plants are experiencing any deficiencies, so it's not necessary right now. If you switch out your actinic you'll have even more light. You'll have about 2.0 wpg, so it's low tech still. But in time you might want to add some ferts and maybe some DIY CO2 or pressurized to replace the excel (it's gonna add up $). Once you do that, I think you'll have even better growth and coloration on the plants.

Best of Luck!

the KK

PS: if you want me to delete this post so it doesn't cludder your journal just say the word

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
You'll have about 2.0 wpg, so it's low tech still. But in time you might want to add some ferts and maybe some DIY CO or pressurized to replace
Sorry I didn't explain, but I have been pressurized for about four days now. Also, I have two 65 10k's and two actinics. Only running the 10k's at this time, although I did try to run the actinics for a couple of hrs today (just for looks).

Quote:
PS: if you want me to delete this post so it doesn't cludder your journal just say the word
I don't mind keeping your answers in this post, but if you think it will be cluttered for others to look at then that might be best. Thank you.

Jeremy

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm glad you got the quoting stuff down. I should also note that you can direct a quote from a person; meaning the quote will say "originally from Krazykidd" by changing the first quote tag to this [quote=krazykidd86]

But back to your tank:

I believe in letting the plants grow in a little under a low light setup like yours at first. This can prevent algae from taking hold when you upgrade your lighting to the full power of your Coralife 4x65w. The plants you have now don't look like they need to be under really high light, but unless you want faster growth then I wouldn't stick in new bulbs at this time, but change the actinic later on. When you do make the transition to 4x65w hold on to your socks! Pack your tank with a lot more plants, have your fertilizers in hand (that is if your not dosing already), pump up your CO2, and get out your pruning scissors.

I'm sure other PT folks will give you their suggestions too.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looking good.
A couple of thoughts:
Tho you will learn more at aquaticphotography, try taking pics at night with all the lights out but the tank (turn on all 4x65 for pics) and no flash. You may need to learn about and experiment with your camera's manual settings (aperture, shutter speed).
As I understand it, many "demanding" plants are more sensitive to CO2 than the high light - if that makes any sense. Since you have the CO2 flowing, you can be a little more adventurous in your plant selections. 2.5wpg with pressurized is plenty to grow a huge spectrum of plants. And I can still see some gravel in your tank, so you can still manage to cram some more plants in there!
Seriously, you are well on your way to a pretty hi-tech tank. I think you could add some more plantmass - even just as temporary place-holders/algaebusters.
And I'd start the macros sooner rather than later. The CO2 increases your plants' ability to take in macros. You may inadvertently be making them hungry and starving them.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you eds,

When I came home today almost all of my plants were pearling, I was enthused. However, I started seeing some algae on a couple leaves as well as on the glass surface. One other thing I haven't seen before is that the leaf tips on some of my java and anubias are turning dark green. I think I read that may be from too much Fe. I'll do some searching tonight and make some adjustments. I think I'll also order some macros and start the PMDD. I have literally read 40+ hrs on this stuff in the past month and I feel like I am just now scratching the surface, but it sure is fun. More pics to come.

Jeremy

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I thought that I should list my plants and fish

Plants Fish
Crytocoryne sprialas tiger barbs
cryptocoryne wendtii red ruby barbs
java fern wendelov gold gourmis
jave fern tall version of standard? pearl gourmis
jave fern botia striatas
anubias nana kuli loaches
anubias coffee dwarf african frog
cabomba zebra danios
ludwigia red broad leaf bristlenose catfish
some other type of ludwigia
wisteria
java moss
dwarf lilly
unidentified sword (not doing so well)

Also, is it too early to add a carpet? I was thinking of dwarf chain sword. Is there on that is easier for a newb?

Jeremy

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:53 PM
eds

Re: carpet - I'm a big fan of elatine trianda (sp?). Read up on it and PM me if you want some. I could give mine a trimming this weekend and send you enough to get you started for $5. Could toss in a few odds and ends as well. I just added a bunch of new plants this week, so I'll be needing to move and trim many of my oldies.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
I could give mine a trimming this weekend and send you enough to get you started for $5. Could toss in a few odds and ends as well. I just added a bunch of new plants this week, so I'll be needing to move and trim many of my oldies.
Very interested, PM me.

Jeremy

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is an updated picture, I finally beat gw for now. I planted some ET last week. It's starting to take root but hasn't taken off yet. I also have some lilly pipes coming in this week...can't wait. I have some java moss that I plan to attach to the front piece of driftwood.

Jeremy

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

I think that the tank has made some improvements since original post. I think that I am going to move or remove the cabomba and let the wisteria back fill that space and also let the parrots feather grow in. I have a lily that is finally starting to produce some leaves, it should be interesting when it grows up more.

Jeremy

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:35 PM
eds

Looking good.
Incredible growth over - what - 10 days?
Looks like some of the ET has taken. Now start pinching off the ends and filling it in. You'll have your carpet in no time.
What is the plant across a good postion of the middle back - behind the wood. Looks like hygro? I could imagine that might become an overpowering mass pretty quickly. May be a candidate to drastically trim or remove as the tank gets more established.
I'd enjoy seeing closer shots of various portions of the tank.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks eds, that ET was tuff to get started, everyday I came home and half of it would be floating . What's left is taking off and looks great, I can't wait until it fills in.

Yes, the plant in the middle back is hygro and it is really starting to take off. Any ideas on what to replace it with in the future? I have long JF that is planted along driftwood behind the hygro, but it is slow growing.

Just behing the right side of the middle right piece of driftwood is a dwarf lilly that is finally starting to send out some leaves.

The plant to the right of the hygro is Rotala Indiga. Next update should be more than just the same plants with more growth, we'll see .

Jeremy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode