Derek's 55gal attempt..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Derek's 55gal attempt.....

Greetings!! Iíve been enjoying this site for a while now, and finally decided to become a paying member. Let me tell you a little about myself. Iíve been keeping tanks for about 15 years, Iíve been trying my hand at planted tanks for the last 18 months. All of my motivation was from seeing the beautiful tanks on this site. At first it was a sad attempt to grow plants in poor conditions. Then I learned about EI from www.barrreport.com from there things improved fast. I was able to grow nice plants in a 20 long, then upgrade to a 55 gal. My initial planting went well and grew in nicely. Here was the result of that effort:
Name:  DSC00088.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  155.0 KB

Unfortunately due to CO2 issues my success was short lived. I got some bad BBA along with grey slime. I addressed the CO2 problems quite recently and decided to replant my tank. Now that I can grow plants with some degree of success it is my goal to become better at aquascaping, to be able to create some of same beauty in my tank as I have seen on this site. I hope that is where your advice will help me!

Here are the tank stats:

55 gal long
130 Watt Coralife PC
Onyx Sand substrate
3.5 lb pressurized CO2 using Venturi reactor

Fauna (I will be adding to this):
6 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Julii Cats
2 Pearl Gourami
4 Amano Shrimp
1 guppy (my wifeís fish ďCornholioĒ)

Here is the full tank shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00732.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2347

Right side of the tank:

Name:	DSC00725.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	2345

Here is a plant I just bought. Does anyone know what this is? I thought it was some species of Alternanthera, but Iím not sureÖ

Name:	DSC00730.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	2346

I know the pics aren't great, but I took them in a rush this morning. So what do you guys think? I know it has to grow in, but do you have any suggestions on the locations of the plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think it looks good as is, and has a lot of promise.
I like the slightly off center center mass, with the stones oriented slightly to the left of the plant mass.
And the two ends impress me as related but not identical.
Like you said, will have to see how it grows in.
But looks like a nice combination of plants.
I'd suggest you toss in a couple of fast growing stems - some hornwort, wisteria, etc. - to stave off algae while your money plants get established.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Hey,

It looks like a good start to me! Keep us updated on how everything is growing!Oh and welcome to the site!

Drew

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
I'd suggest you toss in a couple of fast growing stems - some hornwort, wisteria, etc. - to stave off algae while your money plants get established.

Yeah I was thinking I might want to go get some more fast growers. I just threw away a bunch of rotala purely becuase I was tired of it. Maybe I should have kept it for a couple of weeks. My LFS usually has some basic stems at least (none of my lfs are that good, I traveled 90 minutes to buy fish this weekend). The water sprite grows fairly quickly as well, so it should grow in by the end of the week.

Thanks for the comments!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode