Plans and Progression of my 10 Gallon High Tech Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Plans and Progression of my 10 Gallon High Tech Aquarium

This will be the first post of many on this thread. I will periodically update with pictures and plans. I know I have posted alot on here recently about suggestions and ideas, and many of you have helped me, nothing but appreciation for all that helped. This is my first tank with Co2, and higher type lighting, so much of this m
ay be trial and error, but I plant to get the parameters and fert dosing down before adding any live stock. So to begin, I will explain my setup and all that I will do and why.

10 Gallon:

Lighting:http://www.lowes.com/pd_302257-3-269...%7C1&facetInfo=

Fixture:http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...ood-black.html
And if this fixture doesn't work out, I will go with these domes...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_203213-1373-...roduct_price|0

Filter:I will be keeping a small interal filter. Nothing special.

Substrate:I am going the mineralized substrate route. I will be using sifted miracle gro organic choise potting mix (to get rid of larger debris). I will soak that several times, and then let sit out to dry. I will then mixed powdered red terra cotta clay that I dry and grounded up. I will sprinkle the base of the aquarium with a mixture of Muriate of Potash and Crushed Coral. I will cap with pool filter sand, or possible a black or brown sand of some type (not sure yet). I think it may be best to go with the pool filter sand, due to the fact is is already cycled in my other tanks and is rich in beneficial bacteria, could help with any ammonia spike from the soil mix.

Plants:I want a thick carpet of something. I am leaning towards Hydro sp. Japan. I have kept this in my low tech tank once before, and surprisingly it did ok. It didn't die and it didn't take off lol, so I can only imagine what this will do in a 10 gallon with Co2! Also if anyone has any suggestions before the initial setup, please feel free to chime in. I would like some suggestions on good carpet plants.

Hardscape:I plan on having just rock as the hardscape. I will not be going all out and purchasing any rocks from ADA or anything like that, simply just rocks I can find locally.

Aquascape:The idea is to keep this aquarium minimal. 1 carpet plant and 1 type of harscape (rock). I want this tank to take the shape of an open field with alot of greenery and hills, so this tank will not just be a flat surface. I want some depth in there.

Co2:I will be using a DIY Co2 system. 2L bottle, 2 cups of sugar, half teaspoon of yeast, half teaspoon of baking soda, and warm water to 2/3 of the bottle. I will also include a bubble counter to see when it is time to swap the mix.

Fertilizer:I will be dosing a very laid back version of EI.

Tues:1/16 tsp Plantex CSM + B 1x a week
1/2 tbs Seachem Equilibrium 1x a week

Wed:1/4 tsp KNO3 (N) 1x a week
1/16 tsp K2S04 1x a week
1/16 tsp KH2PO4 (P) 1x a week
1/16 tsp Plantex CSM + B 1x a week

Sun or Mon:30%-50% weekly water change

Inhabitants:I know for a fact I will be keeping shrimp in this tank. And a single school of small fish. Not sure what type of schooling fish, but I want them to be small, and not strain too much on the bio-load.
Again, any suggestion for a very small schooling fish would be awesome!

Misc:I will have the lights on 8-10hr duration. Since it is slowly warming up here in NC, I think I may go without a heater for the moment. I will be using a small internal filter or HOB. I dont plant to have too much debris or bioload. I will do a weekly water change/top off.

So this is where I am at now. I plant to have this all setup by next week sometime. I will have 2 more months in my townhouse and then I am moving to our new house, but having this setup now, will not be much of an issue to move. Nothing like my 125 and 55 gallon tanks!

55 Gallon Planted

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode