RoseHawke's 55 - Take II - UPDATE 4-13-06 - *56K* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
RoseHawke's 55 - Take II - UPDATE 4-13-06 - *56K*

My tank at its height last year:

Last summer I was having issues with grey slime algae, couldn't get rid of it no how, no way. I'd kill it, I thought, and it'd be back within a week. Finally, with all that mucking about in the tank I managed to kill about 3/4 of my fish. I moved the few survivors to my 29 and basically broke the tank down. With the exception of a few anubias which I figured could survive a quick bleach treatment and the "ghetto lighting" in the 29 I trashed everything (including my "sillyscape" winnings .) , turned off the pump and shut down the CO2.

While it was sitting, I started sloooooly gathering a few things together for a re-birth. The husband figure said I could have the Eheim I'd been eyeing for a while, and since I hope to eventually get a larger tank, I went with the Professional II 2028. I ordered 120 pounds of Eco-Complete. No more kitty litter . Kept an eye out at Pet Supplies Plus where I'd seen some neat Malaysian driftwood in the past. Ordered some new GE 9325 bulbs. I wasn't ready yet, far from it, but a cyber-bud of Sunny's was coming for a couple of days and I at least needed some water in the tank if nothing else. So I cranked up the Eheim which had just come and circulated some water through it. I didn't plumb the CO2 in though, as I wasn't there yet. Nor did I change out the bulbs since there weren't any plants in there either.

Holiday time is no time for setting up tanks. So she sat for several more months with circulating water and a bit of algae and nothing else. But that gets boring eventually, so I thought well, heck, maybe I can get a cycle started anyway, even though I can't buy any plants locally, so I dropped into the LFS and picked up half a dozen zebra danios. That started it cycling all right. After 2 weeks:

What was holding me back? I needed a plan, I did not want to make the mistake of not knowing what was what or where this time, so I finally sat myself at the computer one day and threw something together:

They came last Monday and spent 3 days sitting in the tank 'til I could plant them yesterday. And here it is today:

I removed about 80% of the water to plant, but of course forgot what that would do to the anubias so some of them have a few scorched leaves. Got the CO2 plumbed in, although I'm going to do without a controller for a while (since it needs a new probe) and just have the solenoid plugged into the timed light strip. Unfortunately I've got a couple of small leaks in the reactor, either not enough teflon tape, or just not tightened enough. I'll take care of it tomorrow .

I also need to take some better pics when I can hopefully remember to turn off the lights in the room !

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Last edited by RoseHawke; 04-13-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks nice!! Can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You keep smilin' after all those strikes against you . The reactor was the icing on the cake. I hope this experience is in like a lion out like a lamb.

I must admit, I'm worried about 4wpg with the tenuous plant life. At a glance, I'd recommend for you to turn off one of your lights, and go with 2wpg until things get growing. But ultimately, you know your tank better than I, so follow your instincts.

If all this grows in without an algae cruncher, it will look quite nice. Great job taking the time to plan it out.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Hey Cindy, you may know this, but a plumber told me that with PVC fittings to PVC pipe or fittings don't use teflon tape. Only use teflon tape on brass or metal to PVC, such as a brass barb screwed into the plastic PVC fitting. However, if you did use teflon on plastic to plastic, don't worry as it may well "cure" itself in a week or so, if its a very slow drip. That has been my experience. Just thought it might help. Good luck with the new launch!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Betowess, I'll try remember that the next time! I discovered that I didn't have those fittings nearly tight enough, so I took it off and tightened the heck out of them last night (well, not that much, just as tight as I could get them without a wrench) and that seems to have stopped the little weep.

unirdna: I had considered both cutting half the lights off, and possibly cutting down the photo-period as well. Some of those plants are supposed to be "moderate" growers, the hornwort is temporary, just to help take up nutrients. Thanks for reminding me what I'd intended doing! I'll cut those lights today .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's grown in a bit ...

Yes, I did have the expected algae outbreak , just now getting it under control. Fuzz algae, really, quite a bit of it. I did cut back my photoperiod from 11 hours to 9 hours, and for about 3 weeks ran only half the lights (which would be 2wpg instead of my normal 4.) I also tried the Excel thing, and have been keeping a very close watch on my water parameters (testing almost daily.) And I cranked up the CO2 a bit.

The glosso's happy anyway ... I also bought 15 cherry shrimp off Aquabid even though I knew it was not a good time with all the chemicals going into this tank. I'm not sure how many have survived and adapted but I see quite a few zooming back and forth. Seems to be mostly males, although I'm not really sure at this point since I have very little experience with shrimp.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Holey Moley Cindy! That's looking great! That's a great 1st month's growth by any standard!

Color looks nice too. And with the glosso doing so well, with the rich colors you are getting, I'll wager you successfully navigated that "New tank algae valley of the shadow of death" with your light reduction and attention to water parameters!

You first post was just a hopeful planting... while THIS is a truly great start!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Awsome Cindy!! The Lotus took off in a hurry! Or did ya add 10 more when we wern't lookin?

Very nice Layout I think, the lotus just compliments the wood great!! Take II is definately going great for ya!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Steve! Of course this is the "Good View" from 4' away, you get up close and there's still some algae and some other probs. The sag has some kind of issue also, I'm always pulling yellowing leaves. On the other hand, it has put out runners (into the glosso of course. I just pulled up a half a dozen of those the other day.) Some of the older leaves on the stargrass have been showing a few holes so I think I was underdosing K (Potassium) and have cranked that up a bit as well. At least researching that's my best guess. I've also gotten better with my camera. Except for size and slightly sharpening it once reduced, I haven't messed with that photo.

bastalker: Yah, that lotus keeps reaching for the sky, LOL. I usually have to pinch off a couple of runner leaves every day or two. Of course part of what you're seeing might be the A. reineckii that's behind it They're almost the same color, especially in this photo, except the Alternanthera is slightly redder, and the lotus is slightly oranger.

And I swear I just skimmed that tank. "Stuff" keeps hiding and popping up to the surface when I'm not looking . The husband figure likes this layout much better than what I had before. I told him I had a sort of a plan this time. Before I had a plant assortment with no idea what most of the plants were. I just had to guesstimate and stick 'em in with little regards to final placement since I didn't know what they would do.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

Last edited by RoseHawke; 03-12-2006 at 06:48 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

A couple of new inhabitants

Got some Red Cherry Shrimp off Aquabid two or three weeks back and have been experimenting with trying to get some pics of them. You'll notice I do have some algae . These are all clickable thumbnails:

One of the females. I've only seen two. Out of about 15, I'm pretty sure that at least half have survived, but I've only seen two females.

A couple pics of males:

And, for no reason really except trying to learn how to use my camera, a bubble:

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I actually like the bubble pic the best.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Wow Cindy, Its looking fantastic! I like the 'scape with the green left and the red lotus on the right. Big eye catcher with such contrast. BTW, the last time I asked two "experts" at Lowes about PVC to PVC without teflon, they said I was wrong. So I went and Googled and found a PVC industry website which states the desired way to connect PVC threads is with Teflon tape. I couldn't remember where I had posted that til I came back to this thread... to correct my misinformation. Sorry about that. Nice job on the re-launch!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ow! My back!

I've spent too many years ignoring my back, and now it's catching up with me . I spent about 3 hours yesterday on the floor and on my knees finally getting the "guts" in order. It had been a huge mess under there what with one thing and another.

Here it is with the "cover" on . . .

And here's what I spent several hours doing yesterday:

Just in time for me to do my 50% water change tomorrow . . . lovely but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nicely done, Cindy. Hope your back doesn't keep you from a good sleep tonight.

That curtain is a Great idea for folks with iron stands. And the pattern works well with the room. The vines on the bookshelves adds a nice touch too .

*edit: Question. What is that medium/small black box in between the reactor and the filter (it has two cords coming from it)?

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Ted ! That's an outdoor timer, it has the CO2 solenoid plugged into it. I'm trying having my CO2 come on a bit later and go off a bit earlier than my lights, which seems to keep my PH steadier (since I'm using the PH monitor/controller as a monitor only) and cuts out a couple of issues I've had with fish gasping at the surface. "Take I" had the CO2 on the controller, but I think in the end I wasn't getting as much CO2 as I thought I was. Using this method is a learning curve for me, but the plants pearl like crazy about 3 hours into the photo-period, and the de-gas method shows about 40ppm CO2 or thereabouts. So hopefully I'm on the right track.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode