Dans 55gal journal *RESTART* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dans 55gal journal *RESTART*

I decided to restart due to how cloudy my water was getting, it was getting pretty annoying, and seemed as though it was getting worse

i also decided to dump the cat litter and go with just the sand, which i will be getting tommorow...hopefully
i also ordered a bunch of seachem ferts that would be here next week

yesterday i decided to attach the moss, and ferns to some wood and rocks
i may take the java moss of some of the rocks, as i realized it would probably take over the entire tank, i also decided to go with a fishless cycle

after everything was tied

java fern, riccia and java moss on a 13 inche peice of driftwood

java fern, and java moss on a cured branch

java moss mats

java moss tied to rocks

more updated to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Another Update

sp, heres another update

i finally got the sand, although not as much as i had planned, i also got some red ludwigia from john(krazykid, thanks again john)

i planted everthing in the sand for now, didnt want it all floating at the top, it is not yet even close to being scaped...or done for that matter

but, it is alot of fun working on this, i might even plant my 20gal if this one takes off

the tank

two red ludwigia stems

java moss mat

small amazon sword

Java fern

Red ludwigia

Subulata Sag.

oto on some small subulata
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:23 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hey Spud, did you use anything below the sand?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

I put a thin layer of peat, i'm thinking about putting a layer of small granular gravel over the sand, and then puttiing more sand over that, i think that'd give the roots more room to grow
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:09 AM

You really should have used black sewing thread to tie all of that stuff on. That blue yarn is a bit unsightly. Ok, a lot unsightly. But to each their own. With black thread though you cannot see it and it decomposes fairly quickly and by then the plant has attached itself. That synthetic yarn will have to be removed manually.

Also, you do not need to tie it nearly that much. Just barely enough to hold it. You certainly do not need to lash it down as though it were going to crawl out of the tank.

Is that duct tape holding that filter together? Perhaps you should scavenge some parts off of the golden Penguin 330? I have never even given that thought. Is duct tape safe for aquarium use???
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

if i had spares i would have used them, the duct tape has been on that filter for about 4 years, never had any problems, the 2 filters you see there are the only penguins i have, the tubing came from an old undergravel filter

the only thread i could find where all neon colors, and the stuff that was used was just laying around still in its packaging

like i said, this tank is not nearly finished yet

the only reason why its tied like that is because i dont want any of it coming off while re-arranging or whatever, if i can find black thread, i will use it

there are still lots of changes to be made
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

man.... this is the one tank that compaires with my DIY GF tank... LOL wow. Not meaning to be insulting or anything. But DIY's can honistly work, if a bit unsightly Check out my past tanks...

55 gal up on cinder blocks and 2X4's with salvaged lights, and filters I fixed myself.... total cost of tank & filters $20. Cost of 'stand' $20. Not bad for $40!

Note... my lighting is held up by COAT HANGERS. LOL not anymore... thank goodness

My excuse was 'broke college student' Now... its "broke college graduate looking for a job"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah. and I forgot something:

Sand... BAD IDEA.

I spent all day today trying to get it outta my tank. The cost in destroyed filters has been shocking. Shreaded impellers add up quickly. not only that... but the sand releases gases, if you dont sturr up the sand constantly it builds up. My bedroom now smells like LOW TIDE after removing it all. Seriosuly messy and ICKY!!

besides that, it doesnt give any nutrience for the plants to grow really. Why else do you think you dont see many plants growing on sandy beaches?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

i see no reason why my tank compares with your tanks....

instead of making childish remarks, how about offering some help

like i've mentioned, this is the first time i am doing something like this, it is not done, nor close to being done

i have seen many planted tanks with sand as the substrate, a friend of mine here has 6 planted tanks with nothing but sand as the substrate

if however, i see problems i will replace it

you guys are really making me not want to do this
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:50 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't let stupid comments about the color of yarn you used, you tied down the plants too much, or that sand is a bad idea discourage you. The tank is coming along great. Can't wait to see more pics.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
Forget about all those unappropiate coments, man.
Sometimes we say things we don't really mean.
Your tank is coming along nicely, but one thing you need more though, is plants.
I recently upgraded my 20G to a 50G and had a whole bunch of plants left over. They've been floating in the tank for a few days now but are still in good shape. They're yours if you want them, for free.
Let me know .
Rafo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We made it !!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
Keep the good work and do not get dicourage.
I do like the sand look...keep us posted on the progress.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why is telling him how sand can wreck is filters a bad thing?? Or that the blue yarn looks bad a BAD thing??

Sorry... but its the truth. If hes going to do it then just acept that some people have made errors in the past and wish to share the info so he doesnt make the same mistakes. Or should I just post photos of my wrecked impellers to show what sand can do?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideofLIfe
Why is telling him how sand can wreck is filters a bad thing?? Or that the blue yarn looks bad a BAD thing??

Sorry... but its the truth. If hes going to do it then just acept that some people have made errors in the past and wish to share the info so he doesnt make the same mistakes. Or should I just post photos of my wrecked impellers to show what sand can do?

Hey, I agree with you. You aren't out to make him feel bad, just trying to help with a little tough love. There are several times in the past few months in which I wished I would have listened to some of you guys. Would have saved me time and money.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideofLIfe

I don't think it was your comments about yarn or sand that offended. I would think it was your posting pics of your DIY tank and some of the comments/comparisons made there that offended. I'm not saying that you were meaning to be belittling, but it didn't seem very polite either.

NYC Discus INC...his comments about impellers are probably true. You should really be careful to let the sand settle before turning them on. Also...PLENTY of people use sand for planted tanks. What you do need to do is fertilize the water column since your substrate has no nutrients. You should do a thread search on dosing or EI (which is a great method for beginners, IMO). I had a great planted tank with plain quartz gravel, no fertilizer sticks either. Just from dosing the water comlumn.

And hey...the yarn is only temporary anyway right?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode