arowana tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
arowana tank

I just did a major trimming so it looks a little bare right now. Everything is gonna get ripped out and start fresh in a couple days so I can really aquascape it. I just got over a long battle with hair algy in my 75 gallon so I took some pics. http://www.msnusers.com/aropics/75ga...oto&PhotoID=34
http://www.msnusers.com/aropics/75ga...oto&PhotoID=35

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Nice tank and arowana, but it will soon outgrow that tank...I use to have a Jardini in my 200 gal, it strugle when it make a turn-around. Remember to keep it cover, it jumps with a 9.5 score to the ground.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Plants look great shuks! What do you think was the major contributing factor to winning the algae battle? Good job!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks betowess and oceanaqua...

I'm soo pleased that I'm finnaly winning this algy battle I just had to take some pics; and since my tank is gonna be compleatly re-planted in a couple days I thought I'd share its progress. I wish I could take better pics with my POS camera. I'm gonna have to invest in a beter one soon.

The battle with hair algy was won by adding extra filter media (becuase of my messy aro) and adjusting my dry ferts schedual till everything balanced out (My plants were all lacking iron). After I upped my CSM+B dosage the plants started growing twice as fast and the hair algy slowly started to leave. I thought I'd never get over my algy battle, but all good things come to thoes who waite. Now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping for the best.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Is that a discus I see being very scared in the upper left corner?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nop. I've never owned a discuss before in my life. The only fish in my tank is the arowana. Anything else that got put in my tank would be killed.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
Nop. I've never owned a discuss before in my life. The only fish in my tank is the arowana. Anything else that got put in my tank would be killed.
i cant see the pics anymore but i saw it yesterday. nice tank and i like the way you planted it. i like arowanas but they get so big. that arowana is going to outgrow your tank. any plans for upgrading?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
nice tank and beautiful arowana. What is the triangular reddish-blackish thing in the the upper left corner? I can see why someone thought it was a discus.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The red thing you see in the top left corner is a piece of cardboard supporting the back of the tank so it doesnt lean against the wall and the water line stays level. I have one is both corners holding the tank back from the wall and making the tank level so the glass doesnt crack.

As for my arowana, I'm sad to say I'm going to have to give him back to my LFS in a couple months so he can have more room. Right now he is almost as long as the tank is wide, and thats my indicator that he need a bigger home. I'm sad to see him go because he was more of a pet than part of an aquascape. He would swim circles around my hand when I was dooing water changes; he wasnt shy at all. I could even pet him with my hand!!

I raised him well and he is extreamly colourfull (lots for red). I'll of have had him 1 year exactly in febuary. Once hes gone Im gonna get another baby arowana and raise him for a year untill that one outgrows my tank too. I love arowanas and I'm a dedicated arowana fanatic. My 75 gallon tank is dedicated only to arowanas and no other fish; I'll be raising aros till the day I die. I can sit and watch him gracefully swim through my plants for hours. It's hypnotic.

thanks for everyons comments.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHUKS
The red thing you see in the top left corner is a piece of cardboard supporting the back of the tank so it doesnt lean against the wall and the water line stays level. I have one is both corners holding the tank back from the wall and making the tank level so the glass doesnt crack.
I saw on the news about an arowana that was stolen from a resturant show tank. The fish was I think a Golden or was it a Red Arowana. But it was fitted with a "Lo-Jack" for fish. The price of this fish was in the thousands due to the rarity of the thing.

They would plant a small device into these particular Arawanas due to the price. So if any got stolen they would turn on the "Lo-Jack" and would be able to detect any where in the world the fish is.

Iv'e seen them in LFS's when they are young. What is that thing that hangs down on the fry?

Seems like you don't have the tank stand setup right. If your tank leans towards the back when filled you should place some wood shims under the stand. This will help level off your tank and will improve your chances of not damaging the tank and wall it is leanning against.

In CA if you had this tank set up this way and an Earth Quake hit the tank would start slamming into the wall and will break.

BTW what type filter do you run in your 75 gal tank. That is a spraybar on the left side of the tank isn't it???

Glad to hear that you dicided to up the ferts. Like I said in previous PM's I sent you. You need to up the levels to get rid of your algae. Good boy!! Good boy!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphish
Iv'e seen them in LFS's when they are young. What is that thing that hangs down on the fry?
It's a yolk sac.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Seems like you don't have the tank stand setup right. If your tank leans towards the back when filled you should place some wood shims under the stand. This will help level off your tank and will improve your chances of not damaging the tank and wall it is leanning against.
My tank doesnt lean adainst the wall, thats what the shims are for. I supported the back with 2x4 underneath. That tank aint movin anywhere its perfictly level and stable

Quote:
BTW what type filter do you run in your 75 gal tank. That is a spraybar on the left side of the tank isn't it???
Xp2 with inline reactor

Quote:
Glad to hear that you dicided to up the ferts. Like I said in previous PM's I sent you. You need to up the levels to get rid of your algae. Good boy!! Good boy!!!
I never recall u telling me that, but whatever. The only thing I did was up my iron dosage and lower my macro dosage. My algy was comming mainly from no1 and no2 spikes from my messy arowana. After I added extra filtration the algy started to die.

Quote:
I saw on the news about an arowana that was stolen from a resturant show tank. The fish was I think a Golden or was it a Red Arowana. But it was fitted with a "Lo-Jack" for fish. The price of this fish was in the thousands due to the rarity of the thing.

They would plant a small device into these particular Arawanas due to the price. So if any got stolen they would turn on the "Lo-Jack" and would be able to detect any where in the world the fish is.

Thoes arowanas your talking about are red asian arowanas. They are an indangerd species and are illegal in almost any country you go to. If you get to know the guys that work at my LFS they will show you their baby asian arowanas that they sell for 2000$ CDN. However, here in canada it is legal to own an asian arowana if it has been bread in captivity and not captured from the wild. Some of them have some sort of micro chip inbeded in them that can be read by a machien and shows the vital signs of the fish. I;ve never seen these micro chips, but I've been told that some of the captive bread arows have them inbeded under their skin.

Last edited by shuks; 01-24-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode