Dan's 55gal journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dan's 55gal journal

ok, so i began the process today, cleaned out the tank, which took a good hour..went out and got a base substrate(yesterday morning actually), got the DIY c02 up and running, cleaned out filters, now the last things on my list, are to get better lighting, get sand, plants, and driftwood

so lets get this started

so, here it is, a tank that has not been empty in 3 years, lol
after cleaning everything, and adding a black background, and getting it back on top of its stand

gave it some time to dry out, and added the base substrate, which is hartz ph5 cat litter...which took 2 days to fully clean...
i am going downtown to home depot on monday to get a 50lb bag of sand, water will be added then

the C02, just the ordinary 2 liter bottle, yeast, and sugar, the small tank you see there is a holding tank for 2 small amazon swords, in there for a day and a half and looking better, ph in that tank is at 6.0, was at 7.0 yesterday, guess the c02 wanted to go acidic, lol, the box the bottles are in, is to keep the liquid warm, so far its been letting out a puff of bubbles ever 2 seconds

specs for now

Tank: 55 gallon
Filters: 2 pengiun 330 bio wheel power filters
Heater: 300 watt
Substrate: hartz ph5 cat litter(soon to be mixed with sand)

future specs
Plants: java fern, java moss, riccia, amazon sword, ludwigia, dwarf sags, crypts...and more
Fauna: Discus, Angels, Rams, Rasboras, Cories and Otos

more to come once i get everything else

and just for fun..my 20gal long, i had plants to plant this tank also, but i think it looks just as nice with the old plastic plants
most of the fish in here are going back into the 55 once its ready, i plan to keep livebearers in here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:08 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your off to a great start. Is the tank in the pics already have a background attached? If so I think if you painted the back of the tank would look awesome. I had a background on my 55g while it was empty for like a day and did not like the way it looked so I painted the back and it looks so much nicer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

its actually a black garbage bag, taped on to the back, lol

i have been thinking about painting it black, but i have bad lungs, and theres nowhere here to get good ventilation...maybe i'll buy a few cans of black spray paint and bring the tank into the hallway of my apt bulding and spray it there...maybe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well if you don't want to paint the tank because of health reasons then I would say don't do it. Athough if you decide to paint the back of the tank use Krylon Fusion paint, I have used this paint on my 2.5g and 55g and it works great.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

sweet, thanks for the tip
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

an update

filled the tank on monday, and the litter made it a bit cloudy

and got a few of the plants today (thanks again matt)

and was able to get them into the water, my trip to home depot was delayed, but i should get there tommorow for the sand

the plants that came today are

Riccia
Java moss
Java Fern
Sabatta Sag.

the riccia made a big mess, there are particles of it floating around, i expected this though, and i'll give it a chance, lol

i tied the fern to some wood, and a few rocks

and planted the sags in the litter for now, if i get the sand tomorrow, i will start re-arranging the plants around, it probably will not be scaped until i have everything...and that will take a while

i also put 2 small rasboras that where attacking my corys in the 55 for now, to help with the cycling, so now there is some bactieria bloom, making the tank look more cloudy than before, hopefully it clears up quickly

there where lots of hitchikers in the riccia and java moss, maybe about 30, or so tiny snails...if it gets out of hand..then its would be time for some yoyo loaches

my computer wont let me open the picture manager, so i will have pics up soon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
Glad the plants came today. Hope they were what you were looking for and there was enough there.

Sorry about the snails but they came with the moss and yes, both my clown loaches love them. There are only a couple of really big ones in my planted 75 gal.

This is my first post to any forum after lurking on discus, angel and now planted forums for years.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode