Begginer 50 gallon planted, pls critic! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Begginer 50 gallon planted, pls critic!

Hi guys!

Iam relatively new to the planted aquarium... i experimented on a 5 gal heavily planted tank with tremendous success so i decided to go on to a 50 gallon i had sittinga around =)

that was the foreground

that was the whole tank....

this tank is only 2 days old (planted on 20/1/06)...

I have a problem... i dont know the names of the plants.. =) if someone can identify them for me that would be great.... these are practicaly the same plants i used for my 5 gal except for the red ivy and fox tail... well i think they are called that

Info:
50 gallon
overhead trickle filter
small power head to diffuse the diy 5 liter co2
I use Hagen Plant Gro
I supplement the tank with Iron sulphate (ferrous sulphate)
I also use 6 X 23 watt OSRAM minitwist each with 1490 lumens on diy housing...
each of these 23 watts are equivalent to a 125 watt flourescent

Inhabitants:
3 panda cory
3 rams
5 CAE's
2 albino sucker mouth
n maybe more to come

Happy Viewing!!!

BEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
I like it! Looks like an outdoor garden.

Eheim Pimp #173

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
nice tank..................the rocks ( i like how you mix up diff. kinds and still made it look good)

Kevin

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks turbowagon =)

Funny that was my impression when i finished on it... it looked like a bloody garden!! hahaha.... was disappointed at first coz was going for a more jungle look... but then... the look grew on me

aquamoon

hehe the rock were a big fluke... just needed to cover gaping open spaces in teh foreground.. the ones in teh middle though were used for elevation

Tnx!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to creepingdeath086
very nice, don't feel bad I barely know the names of the plants I have either, but nice job, well colored and the rocks are cool to....btw where did ya get them?

---------------------------------

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I got the rock from our garden... got some pieces of landscaping rocks piled at the back of our garden.

the slate like rocks are aquarium rocks, pretty much abundant in aquarium stores

as to where to get them... specifically cant tell im in the philippines

but local landscaping and gardening sheds should have them
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I forgot ...................wecome to the Planted Tank........

Kevin
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:30 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looks great.
Only 2 days old?
Where did you get so many large, healthy plants?
I think you might need to tweak your ferts to keep it looking that nice!

I'm not very good at plant ID, but I'll tackle a couple of easy ones.
The green mass in the center rear is watersprite, and you have java fern in the back right just to the left of the plumbing.
And those look like 3 swords around the left end of the wood (2 Brazilian and 1 Amazon, or the other way around?) Those are gonna get big.

I could offer a few more intelligent guesses, but I'll leave it for some more knowledgeable folk.

My personal preference is that I'm not a huge fan of light substrate, but YMMV.
Is the substrate just gravel?
Also, nice rocks, but I find the many different kinds of rocks a little distracting/unnatural - especially the red one.
If it were my tank, I might just stick with the 3 light grey ones.
You may also find that all of those rocks take up valuable planting space!

A very nice start, tho.
I'm interested in seeing it progress.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

yup! they are just gravel.. hehe

My 5 gallon did retty well on just normal gravel.... no peatmoss.. no fert inserts.. nada... was surprised u saw the javafern at the back... i placed them behind there so they dont get burnt... the light is kinda intense... it literally lights up the entire room not just the aquarium!

might take out the forground rocks IF and only IF i cant get hold of microswords which i dont think is available here in the Philippines.

The plants came from a growout pond from a pet store...

will post an updated pic after its one week old....

the only thing iam worried now are the red ivies and ALGAE.... got CAE's on teh 5 gal to control brown algae (diatoms i think) ... red ivies would be kinda iron hungry right? problem is i got no way of measuring iron in the water.... crap.. so will have to observe.... the HAGEN plant gro is pretty much like pmdd (not sure about the concentrations though) but it has phosphate, which hopefully wont be a problem while the fish mass is still small.

need micro swords....

will get rid of the lava rock soon....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome nytowl .

The 50g has a very nice footprint for planting. Cconsidering you've just started, you've done a fair job of showing off the depth of the tank using your limited fauna. A recommendation: angle your driftwood back into the tank a bit. This will help to remove the "square" look and add dimension to your middle ground.

Strong start!

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank looks great, very symetrical. Any comments given are just us being highly critical. I agree with Unirdna about changing the angle of the driftwood but only if you can't find the micro swords you mentioned. I have limited experience but was reading one of Amano's books and he said to creat an off balanced look and then try to balance it out with creativity. I don't have any specifics but the theory sounds like fun. However, let me reiderate that the tank looks great like it is and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished .
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragements

but what do u guys mean by "angle my driftwood back into the tank" ?

shift it further away from the front and closer to the back

or is it something like tilting?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

oh yeah i dont think i can puch the driftwood further to the back coz i gotta get rid of the rockslate behind it if iam gonna do that... but yeah have to admit the driftwood isnt really at its best in that place
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

if i cant get hold of java moss or micro swords iam going to grab some bermuda grasses and carabao grasses and force em to live underwater!!!!

kinda wishing it was possible.... anyone by any chance have any idea where to get the moss or the micro here in the philippines? them plants are supposed to be endemic in some part of south east asia.... but for some reason.. no one has it here.. well actually very few aquarists here planttheir tanks .... anyway... i will go grab some carabao grass in our lawn BWAHAHAH
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

i had just found out from research that Vesicularia dubyana aka java moss is found here in my country.......... i guess ill be off to lakes and ponds and rivers to grab some..... its nuts i tell ya

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode