2G Bowl - 1st Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2G Bowl - 1st Planted Tank

Been lurking the forum for awhile now - have been building nano-reefs for many years, but a moving mishap left me a 5 series BMW trunk reef. As in my nano-reef building, I like to start off small and build up from there. Oddly enough, even with a large amount of salt water experience, I do feel like quite a newbie with freshwater planted tanks. I'm starting off with a non-looker, 2 gallon experience bowl. I used organic potting soil, and purchased (randomly) some plants from Petco to get going. I purchased a 10-watt CFL bulb at 2700 - from what I have read, maybe a 10-watt at 5000-6000 is ideal? Let me know - will have to order one of those - just got what I could get locally. I covered with cling wrap (do you leave a hole in it?), and am going to run the lamp starting off at 12 hours a day? I am trying a somewhat dry start leaving the waterline basically just below top of soil level. I will need all the help I can get - this seems like a very good community- going to post some pics - I finally have plenty of room for multiple tanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see pics.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some pics-

Getting going...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	93122  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	93130  

Attached Images

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice bowl!

55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Questions....

Let me ask these questions three:

1) How long do you use the cling wrap and do you cut a hole in it?
2) Roughly, when should I fill the bowl vs. leaving the water line at the soil level?
3) Anything else I need to be doing that I am oblivious to?

Gracias - Devin
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Welcome! People usually use cling wrap for dry start on foreground plants like HC. I would fill your bowl for the plants you pick. java fern and bolbitis I think you shouldn't totally plant in substrate. get like a small driftwood or rock and tie them down or anchor them. wisteria you can plant.

you can find out more about your plants here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nder/index.php

Good luck!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants

Thanks- always finding more hidden gems of info - don't wanna be the fool that asks questions that have been asked a hundred times - but you gotta get going somehow!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Thanks- always finding more hidden gems of info - don't wanna be the fool that asks questions that have been asked a hundred times - but you gotta get going somehow!

Don't worry there are no dumb questions. That's why we're here to all learn from each other.

10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok - potting soil didn't work - it was old and I suspect it was contaminated/mold - my fault - being impatient. Couple questions - what is a good substrate for me? I've been looking on the ADA site, but dont know which I should use - I did upgrade the bulb to a 13 watt CFL with the daylight light range (6500). Also I'm going to order the plants - what are some good starter plants for a 2G bowl. Also roughly how long should I run the light? Thanks in advance
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
2G Bowl - 1st Planted Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice bowl!
More like nice kitchen, diggin that stove and countertops!

But seriously, nice bowl.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
I have used ada aquasoil in one vase and my 3g and really like it. a few plants i like in bowls/vases are bacopa caroliniana and ludwigia repens. they are easy plants and grow out of the water and can flower. they are common and can be order from this for sale section on this site. your other plants should work as well.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok- ordered some aquasoil today- would like to purchase plants from people on the forum if possible - whats a good way to source like that? also still what is a general time i should run the light? thanks-
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

please help - what is an acceptable way to clean the bowl - i have several cleaners i used when preparing vats to make wine/beer - does this make a big difference - also - is one 13 watt CFL too little or too much? please help - trying to start off small here
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

aquasoil hasnt shown up yet, so im getting antsy...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode