Thinking about planting this tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thinking about planting this tank

hey guys, newcomer to this forum, you guys all have some incredible looking aquariums

anyway, i have a 55g running,along with tons of smaller tanks, lol and i have been thinking about seriously planting. have one small amazon sword in there right now, but, its seems to just be rotting away, probably because i have no CO2 running, or maybe not enough light

i plan on using DIY c02, 2 bottles of couse

i just need to direction, which plants to use..maybe some fast growing stem plants first, and work my way up from there

what types of substrates are best, flourite? laterite? aquasoil?

supplements? plant food?

that should cover it, any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome NYC Discus! Looks like you've done a bit of reseach already . A member of the forum named Rex has put together a very informative website for beginners. He tackles a lot of the questions one has when starting his/her first planted tank.

Check it out http://www.rexgrigg.com/.

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
First of all Welcome!

I would also check out Rex's site like Uni. mentioned! As for substrate I have only used Florite, but I really like the looks of the EchoComplete! The Florite's color kind of gets on my nerves after a while, and I think it adds ALOT of red to the tank and tanes away from the red plants where the EcoComplete is black and seems netural! My 2 pennies worth! I also have trouble with my Amazon Swords, but they were in poor quality when I got them! Another word of advice is to be carefull where you get your plants at! I have had problems withthe Big Box stores plants bringing in alge to the tank, and they will also sell you non aquatic plants for your aquarium as well! I hope to see the settup pics when you transform the tank, and good luck!!

Drew

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys, that website is really informative

i've been thinking about sand, since i cannot find flourite anywhere except aquabid and i've been ripped off too many times there

i took out everything from the 55 gal and put the fish into a cycled 30gal for now, i'm thinking about a rock/driftwood scape..mainly rock, driftwood here ranges in the 40$ to 100$ level, and thats crazy, andx since i live in the city, nowhere to get it naturally

after i get the substrate from the LFS, i will probably start the rock scape, it will most likely be identical to the one pictured

i tooka ride down to the only place here that sells live aquatic plants, and all they had was amazon swords, riccia, and banana plants,but they looked pretty bad, i'm hoping to find a better place, i'd like to get some java moss, some java ferns, riccia, big amazon swords, and more, just never seen java moss/ferns anywhere
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Discus INC
Ii tooka ride down to the only place here that sells live aquatic plants, and all they had was amazon swords, riccia, and banana plants,but they looked pretty bad, i'm hoping to find a better place, i'd like to get some java moss, some java ferns, riccia, big amazon swords, and more, just never seen java moss/ferns anywhere
I highly recommend you frequently browse the "swap and shop" area of this forum. Pet stores can't hold a candle to the quality of plants grown by members of this forum.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, checking now
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
As for the substrate - If you can drive out of the city, and you really want flourite, the cheapest without shipping would probably be That Pet place in Lancaster, PA. A good 3 hour ride or so.
If not, you might have luck with a Lesco store in NJ. I know of two of them - from there, you could try some Solimaster.

When you get it setup, since I commute into downtown daily, I can bring you some clippings as long as you can pick them up. I usually do water changes and pruning on Sundays...so most Mondays, if no one wants any, they go in the trash.

Let me know if you are interested and welcome to the forum!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode