Ol'Salty's 29G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ol'Salty's 29G

Well, this forum has certainly helped me get where I am today. Special thanks to Rex and his website. I had a nasty battle with long black hair algae due to some plants obtained at a LFS. Since everything seemed to make it worse, I threw out all the plants, put the fish in a spare tank, and dumped bleach in the tank (I don't like to lose!!) Well, I purchased some plants from a vendor here and got everything up and running. Here is a pic of the tank earlier this month.

The LFS near me had some really nice plants, so I did a little work, and then found another LFS nearby that also had some really nice plants. I went to work on the tank yesterday, adding another bubble ladder and rescaping again. Here are some pics I took this morning.

I'm really happy how everything has turned out so far. I am doing water changes every 2 to 3 days using RO only. There may be something in my water which causes algae blooms, and since I already have the filtration system, I may as well use it. As my reef tank ages, I will eventually have to use a calcium reactor which uses CO2. When that time comes, I will switch from using yeast and sugar but for now you really can't beat the price!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice start but it looks like u have some terrestrial plants in there. They probably wont live long submersed.

Also you may want to break up the microsword into smaller plantings and spread it around abit.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What's a terrestrial plant?? My guess is one that belongs in a terrarium or partially submerged. Is that why some plants come packaged in little pots as opposed to the lead twist tie??

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
What I mean is they are not aquatic plants. They can't adapt to life submerged. Yes they could be used in a terrarium.

The ones in question are the white and green sword type plant and the purple plant on the left.

Maybe get a sword or lotus if you want something that will look close to that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. I got them at a LFS (is anyone beginning to wonder??) and they had them in tanks fully submerged. I think I need to do a bit more homework before I buy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:02 PM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Too bad you have to take them out, the green white stripe look really nice where you put it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking the same thing. That one certainly stands out, especially in person. Live and learn.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
That "terrarium" plant you got grows on mushy, damp lands with low sunlight (as usually such plant does). If they can grow new white roots, then they will make it through several months (4-5 months at least as I have experienced... and the plant is still there laying extremely slow growing) adapting in water. But they will never grow well and will roughly remains at current size (by then they will be covered with algae and time for a short bleach dip again). If you like it, you may keep it there because you are already informed and aware. Once looking bad as a sign of rot, throw it away and never hope that it would bounce back to prime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 02:43 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Most of us have been there before. Gotta start somewhere.

Do break up the microsword into more individual plantlets and spread it out. It'll propogate and thrive more easily then. I had mine planted exactly as you do when I started out, and it never did take hold.

You'll enjoy looking back on the photos in a few months. If you hang out here for any length of time, the learning grows exponentially at first!

From one to another...
BSS!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

I found some really nice plants at (get this) Meijer!! I went ahead and got a few, threw 'em in and here is the tank as of this morning.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks really good, ol' salty. I really liked your hardscape in the first round of pics, but now it's blocked by all those drat plants! Nah, the tank looks terrific. Have your plants gotten in the way of those co2 ladders yet? That was my major problem with them.

oh yea, i've seen some great plants at meijer lately! Not only that but a Chinese Algae Eater, correctly labeled!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No problems with the plants touching the CO2 ladders (so far.) It seems that since I've added the second one, the plants have really taken off. I was really surprised that Meijer had live plants and even more surprised at how nice they looked.

You can see the driftwood much better in person, but I may wind up moving a few things so it's easier to see. That rock on the left is really neat. I definately need to keep that in the open.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode