Keyholes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keyholes

I thought these fish were boring when I was first given them.
But I have discovered that they have an interesting personality that's mildly entertaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i love mine!

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I think there underated because there not as colorful as other dwarf cichlids are.

Last edited by JungleCut; 01-18-2006 at 09:31 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Here's a shot of one of mine. I have 4 right now, I'm pretty sure it's two males and two females. I'm hoping they'll start breeding soon... they might not be very colorful, but the amber eyes, nice eye-stripe, and long thin fins still make it a very attractive fish in my opinion. Plus the temperment is perfect for a cichlid in a community tank. They're very peaceful, yet somehow still act very much like cichlids. they're totally cool with discus, and vice versa. possibly the most underrated of the south american cichlids.

Oqsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keyhole.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2775  

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

how large do they get, and would they get along with german blue rams?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

size is a good question... my dominant male is about 4", and still appears to be growing. his fins get longer and darker, and his eyes get more colorful all the time. I've *heard* of "breeder" pairs getting 6" or more, but most of the species profiles on websites and forums report max size around 4.5". I'm sure the keyholes are just as likely to be "stunted" from inadequate accomodations and any other cichlid (discus, angels, and oscars come to mind). It's possible that given ideal conditions from a very young age that most fish would be closer to 6", or it could be that the reports of larger keyholes are just unusually large specimens. In any case, temperment-wise they should be great with rams, assuming the rams aren't nervous nellies (all mine have been). The keyholes won't *hurt* them, but their presence may be enough to stress the more delicate and fussy rams. I've never seen my keyholes bother any other fish, including anomalochromis thomasi (african butterfly cichlid, similar in size and color to rams), pelvicachromis pulcher (kribs), discus, various tetra species, killifish, rainbows, cories, plecos, loaches, or mollies. In fact my kribs successfully raised a spawn in the tank with a young pair of keyholes that were clearing a nest site (i later decided they were both males because there have never been eggs, and the fish i assumed was female has now grown longer fin extensions, and gotten much larger since the addition of two more keyholes that appear quite likely to be females). Anyway, they're known for bonding with other keyholes, even of the same sex, at an early age and never spawning with the opposite gender if they aren't presented with a mate early enough. One website describes a pair of females that laid eggs back and forth with no male to fertilize them. One of the females died or was moved to another tank, and the remaining fish stopped eating, hid most of the time, and eventually died. Back to your original question... if you're planning on getting keyholes, i recommend a minimum 29 gallon tank (55 and up is better) and at least 2 fish, more is better

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
Oqsy, how do the keyholes take to cute little shrimp?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiot
Oqsy, how do the keyholes take to cute little shrimp?
They love the little guys! Yum Yum!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

once again the rule is if it can fit in a fish's mouth, it will be in a fish's mouth. shrimp and keyholes would be a bad idea...

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode