Accident's 125 Journal (lots o pix) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Accident's 125 Journal (lots o pix)

I've really been enjoying this site and have gotten lots of good advice and tons of plants already, so, I thought I would share the results with everyone. I have been around aquariums my whole life and have kept just about everything. I had a planted tank years ago and have just recently rediscovered it. I purchased a 125 just for this purpose right before Christmas 2005. I had been buying plants for my 58 oceanic for about 3 months locally and 1 online order from Aquariumplants.com and another order from Dr's Foster and Smith. All arrived in good condition and have been thriving. I started the 125 w/2 65watt Fluorex lights that I had used in the 130 cichlid tank. I transplanted some plants from the 58 into 1/2 the 125 and added the plants from the Dr's F & S order.

Oh, yea, its got 8 bags of Flourite red in the bottom (UNWASHED:big mistake!)
The left 1/2 of the tank remained empty for weeks while I researched and finally decided on a Coralife 2x96watt 6700 Freshwater light. I added some Oto's and some drab brand rainbowfish in the meantime. Also some Malaysian snails and orange ramshorn.

Here it is w/the left side planted and the Coralife on. I was able to load it up with that $10 purchase of plants from Snake. Deal of the century and came at just the right time.
1/2/2006

1/11/2006

Notice the Flourite cloud?
Still waiting on some type of foreground plant.
I cant seem to get the lighting right in the frame, tank is so long.

Thanx for looking
Accident

130 Gal Acrylic cichlid,125 Oceanic planted, 58 Oceanic planted/cichlid. 500 timbers holding pond, 180 GF pond, 60 horse trough grow out tank. Front porch garden pond (130 overflow), Whiskey barrel water garden, Puddles when it rains.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks like a good start, you'll probably want a lot more plants in there to try and avoid algae. How long is the tank? 6 ft? I have 4 96w bulbs on my 100 (6ft long) and that's plenty of light. I know your tank would be about 4 inches taller, but you should be good.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Congrats on your new start!

It was nice that you could get yourself started w/ plants without dropping a small fortune. For me, that tank would be tough to aquascape. Isn't it 6 feet long? It would be difficult not to have a "blah" section in the tank. We have a tank at the university with a hodgepodge of lights over the top, similar to yours. We simply covered the whole rigamaro with an open-top, wood canopy. Cleaned to whole look up in one shot, for not too much $$.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

BTW, this tank is in my office. It's for ME! It's 4 feet from my feet as I sit here. The other 2 tanks in the house have to look perfect all the time. Not this one. Its for my enjoyment. I dont have to finish anything in any amount of time for any reason. It's great!
More pix from left to right to hopefully show some of the plants.
Left end, tall.

Left end wide:

Middle:

Right of Middle:

Right side:

Dang bait always spoiling the picture!
I just cant make the camera stop washing out all the plants and colors. Very discouraging.
Accident

130 Gal Acrylic cichlid,125 Oceanic planted, 58 Oceanic planted/cichlid. 500 timbers holding pond, 180 GF pond, 60 horse trough grow out tank. Front porch garden pond (130 overflow), Whiskey barrel water garden, Puddles when it rains.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Congrats on your new start!

It was nice that you could get yourself started w/ plants without dropping a small fortune. For me, that tank would be tough to aquascape. Isn't it 6 feet long? It would be difficult not to have a "blah" section in the tank. We have a tank at the university with a hodgepodge of lights over the top, similar to yours. We simply covered the whole rigamaro with an open-top, wood canopy. Cleaned to whole look up in one shot, for not too much $$.
OMG I cant stop laughing. I thought the word was "rigamaroll" for years and yes, thats what I have too!! Oh, yea, Snakeman helped me heaps w/that 4lb bag of plants. Yes it is 6 feet long. There is a dead section right in the middle where the 3/8" glass brace is. I have kind of piled up the rocks and drift wood in that area. I'm still working on a solution for that section as well as replacing the Fluorex's. I removed the oceanic glass cover on the left side but it remains on the right to hold up the fluorex's. Any suggestions appreciated. I'm not worried about the appearance of the top for now. My goal is to have some serious lighting on top so that I can grow whatever plants that I find that I like.

If money weren't an issue, what would ya'll do??
THanx,
Accident

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident
OMG I cant stop laughing. I thought the word was "rigamaroll"
Nope, you're right. I've been saying it wrong .

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=rigamarole

A tank that big definitely needs some wood, IMO. Look through the photo section (far back) and look at as many "big" tanks as you can. You've got to be really good to pull off a tank that long without some hard-scape.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've got a huge piece of driftwood soaking in my outdoor pond. I may add some or all of it at a later date. I plan on having a mix of driftwood and rocks poking through. I'm no aquascaper. I just go w/what I like till I don't like it anymore, then change it. I did alot of snorkling in the San Marcos river while I was living there. Lots of rocks/trees, etc all over the place. Nothing manicured about it. I even saw one of those giant prawns one day. Claws and all.

I never dreamed that it was an actual word either, haha.

I just love water-keeping of all kinds.

I will get to the stuff inder the tank later. It's basically a DIY filter and a 5lb CO2 tank w/DIY bubble counter. I also bought some Flourish and have been adding it every week. I spot fertilize w/jobes also.
Accident

Last edited by Accident; 01-12-2006 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added info
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New plant.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26008
http://home.rgv.rr.com/ranchoos/Aponogeton1.jpg
I think it's some kind of Aponogeton, but I'm not sure which one.
Fish added are about 25 tetras and a nice zebra pleco.

Accident

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode