[75 g] Two Worlds (FINAL) *Photo* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
[75 g] Two Worlds (FINAL) *Photo*

Hello,

So first of all I want to thank you guys for all the help that I got here on this forum. The biggest thank you goes to Rex Grigg, who answered at least 20 - 30 of my e-mails, and pm's... Ok, so I am starting a new 75G tank, I had a low-tech tank in the past, but it was only 10G. Now it's time to go larger ...

I'm not done with the tank, but I promise I will post pictures/comments as I go. For now I'm planning:

Dimensions: Standard size 48" l / 18" / 20" h
Filtration: Eheim 2215+
Lightning: 4 x 55W from ahsupply.com, bulbs are 9325K and 4800 lumens
Substrate: 3 x Fluorite Red + Gravel
Nutrients: All from Greg Watson

For now I will show you a picture of the tank:

And few pieces of driftwood that I am currently preparing. :

Sorry photos are gone.

Here is a picture of inside of the DIY stand, its all wood, except these metal pieces:

I will continue with the driftwood preparation today, and I hope that I will be done soon.

Matt

Last edited by Sudi; 06-05-2006 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I'm not to sure about that driftwood. Looks a little to "fresh" to me, more like limbs then driftwood. You need to be sure that it is cured inside of else you may have some problems. Your specs seem pretty good though, keep us posted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
I'm not to sure about that driftwood. Looks a little to "fresh" to me, more like limbs then driftwood. You need to be sure that it is cured inside of else you may have some problems. Your specs seem pretty good though, keep us posted
Yeah, I just put the wood in some hot water with salt. I got it from the forest, it seemed preety "dead" to me. And if it would be bad inside then it would be more brakeable then it is now... I hope it will turn out to be good

Thx for the comment!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Alright then. New tank! This is my favorite part - the very beginning - blank canvas. And one of my favorite tanks to boot - 75g.

I had the same thought as bigstick... That wood looks a bit dangerous. True driftwood has spent considerable time in water - removing all the "juices". Terestrial wood, even if its very dead, still has many nasty things that can give you trouble. Of course, this depends on the wood type.

I was given the same advice when I found the perfect piece of wood once. Still, I had to try it. It eventually had to come out. It got covered in slime and was clouding the tank terribly. If you still decide to give it a try, I wish you the best.

Looking forward to updates

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Alright then. New tank! This is my favorite part - the very beginning - blank canvas. And one of my favorite tanks to boot - 75g.

I had the same thought as bigstick... That wood looks a bit dangerous. True driftwood has spent considerable time in water - removing all the "juices". Terestrial wood, even if its very dead, still has many nasty things that can give you trouble. Of course, this depends on the wood type.

I was given the same advice when I found the perfect piece of wood once. Still, I had to try it. It eventually had to come out. It got covered in slime and was clouding the tank terribly. If you still decide to give it a try, I wish you the best.
Yeah, itís hard to tell I found this in the forest. Here in OR we get a lot of rain so it was wet, and it looks like it laid in that forest for quite a while now... The nice thing is that I don't have any fish in the tank yet, so I can "experiment" a little. Saturday I'll put it in, and Monday I will see how the water looks. I'll measure parameters. I only left it in hot water once, and after 20 min, I got rid of the water, and it was brownish... and that's perfectly normal from what I read. After boiling it hot water on it, we leave it in cold water, and we exchange the water 2 - 5 times a day. After 1 week, it should sink down. Sometimes it doesn't work... but I hope it will with my wood

BTW, if there are any worms in there they're already boiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Looking forward to updates
Updates will be here as soon as anything interesting happens.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

Getting rain often does not compare to actually being submerged in water for what could be years at a time... I'd really suggest using proper driftwood and not those pieces that you have chosen. I wish you the best of luck with them though, that second piece looks like it'd make a great place for nanas and mosses.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanBeegas
Getting rain often does not compare to actually being submerged in water for what could be years at a time... I'd really suggest using proper driftwood and not those pieces that you have chosen.
Yeah so I'm gonna listen to you guys, I will get drift wood from LFS next week, and I will use only the small pieces of the one that I have.

Ok, no it's time for some update I cleaned all of the fluorite, and it's in the tank allready. Everything is set. I'll get lightning tonight... Some photos of gravel, and the left side in the tank with some rocks:

Fluorite in the tank

Picture of the gravel that I got for this tank

Fluorite Red

Left side with rocks

That's it for now. Next update next week

Matt

Last edited by Sudi; 02-01-2006 at 06:16 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

The tank right now, water needs to clear up...

Left side close up...

Right side close up...

Plants so far:
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Ludwigia palustris
Rotala indica
Eleocharis acicularis

I'll get more plants tomorrow, and I'll start fertilizing on Sunday
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:55 AM

Looks great.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 12:16 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
So the driftwood didn't work out?

I think this tank is going to grow in REAL fast, you just wait.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
So the driftwood didn't work out?
Yeah, I guess you can say that. It was kind of bad inside... so i went to LFS and picked up this 9lb for $36

Thx for comments

Last edited by Sudi; 01-30-2006 at 03:27 AM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Little update.

This week I'll be getting more plants. The water cleared up, and I dosed 1/2 of ferts

matt
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Update

Prawa strona:

Roślina...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Are you injecting co2 through that wood diffuser?

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Are you injecting co2 through that wood diffuser?
I'm not dosing any CO2 right now :/
I want to get a CO2 bottle, but I don't have time in the morning, and the store is closed in the afternoon.

I am thinking of using a wood difuser though

Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode