My 52 Gallon project - 56K warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 52 Gallon project - 56K warning

Hi

I've had my 52 Gallon project running for a few weeks now. I'm aiming for a setup that is moderate growth / maintenance with some fairly easy to grow plants to begin with. It's my first attempt at a properly planted tank and looks like this:

The rock formation / cave was made out of slate chippings from the DIY shop and slate tiles as a base and the cave roof.. It's amazing what can be achieved with aquarium silicon sealant, a big hammer and a lot of patience

I've gone for fairly easy to grow plants to begin with in Valisineria, Anubias, E Tenellus and Hair grass (sadly some of the more interesting plants I had planned were rotten before I got them from the LFS).

Lighting is from 4 * 30W bulbs
DIY CO2 (2 litre bottle with Champagne yeast / yeast nutrient / sugar / water, planning on adding a second bottle)
Eheim 2224 & 2213
2 * 150 Watt heaters
JBL CO2 reactor (modular, so I've connected two units together to get best CO2 dispersal)
UV steriliser
Air stone connected to air pump which automatically comes on when the lights are out.
JBL heater cable

Fish: 10 Silver Hatchets, 9 Pentazona Barbs, 4 Syn. Petricola, 4 Guppies, A pair of Aphymosium Australe.

Cheers

Karl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Very cool cave, i love it! What did you use for substrate?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

The substrate is a layer of small (3 to 4mm) pea gravel surrounding a JBL substrate cable heater, then Aquaclay on top mixed with JBL Florapol (see http://www.aquaclay.de/engl/index.htm ) and then a final layer of pea gravel, because quite a bit of the aquaclay floated, inspite of the manufacturers claims

I think if I could do it again I'd get ecocomplete, but I didn't know about it when I started buying the bits (Doh!).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Very nice looking tank, I really like tanks that have a natural look rather than a composed one. Yours looks like a river bank, kind of reminds of a book I read called "The Complete Aquarium" by Peter Scott, which favors the natural look.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
nice tank.....love your cave setup.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tank looks good.
And the cave is really neat.
You might want to consider posting a thread about it over in the DIY forum.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
nice setup
can you post a closer pic of the co2 reactor?
thanks

Eheim Pimp #169
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments!

I'll try and get a photo posted of the reactor later and posting the cave build in the DIY sections sounds a good idea.

Thanks

Karl.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Sweet army of hatchets..

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Nice tank! I love the large group of hatchets, and the wall of grasslike plants makes up a very cool and different background, compared to the stem plants most folks use. Oh, and the cave is pretty sweet too.

Eheim Pimp #173

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Here's a photo of the side of the tank with better shot of the JBL reactor (the air stone is not part of it).

It's basically the same as the Hagen ladder, except it forms a helter-skelter shape and each small section plugs in, so it can be made as short or tall as you want it:

There's still some wastage from it when the top piece (a cup) overflows, but it does get the bubbles very small.

Quote:
Sweet army of hatchets..
Hatchets are cool!

Cheers

Karl.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:21 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Ever thought about putting the reactor near the outlet instead of the inlet of the filter? This *might* get the dissolved carbon to the plants faster. . .. just a thought . . ..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ever thought about putting the reactor near the outlet instead of the inlet of the filter? This *might* get the dissolved carbon to the plants faster. . .. just a thought . . ..
As luck would have it, the reactor is underneath the submerged spray bar of the Eheim 2224. Not sure how effective it is there, I just wanted it out of the way really.

I did wonder about shortening the reactor slightly and connecting the overflow connector nipple at the top of the reactor cup to the venturi input of a power head, to try to disperse the overflow CO2 that doesn't get dissolved by the ladder.

Hmm.. lots to think about...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode