Gremmy's 46G BowFront Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gremmy's 46G BowFront Journal

I decided to start a journal like the others on this forum. I appreciate any and all feedback I can get. You may have seen some of these pics before, but from now on I will post all my pics in this thread.

Anyway, I'm redoing my aquascape on my 46G Bowfront. I would like to follow Amano's triangle layout, and as you can see from my pics, I still have a ways to go.

This is still a work in progress.

Side View

Front View

Here's a look at the golden triangle/ratio that I plan to use on the aquascaping as my plants fill in. Looks like I'll need to move a few things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a pic of what the tank looks like in my room. This was taken before I redid the aquascape.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are my specs:

Tank: 46 Gallon Bowfront
Light: 96W compact
Temp: 76 degrees
PH: 6.8
C02:None (But I just started dosing Flourish Excel. I got a big 2-liter bottle for 17 bucks that should last me a year at 4ml day)

Plants:
1)Anubias Nana
2) Crypts (Wendetti I think)
3) Telenthera
4) Pygmy Chain Swords
5) Java Moss
6) Jungle Vals
7) Java fern

Fish:
1) 5 Bosemani rainbowfish (2 males, 3 females). The two males keep trying to get the females to spawn. It's like Boogie Nights in there.
2) 3 zebra danios
3) 3 neons (I know schooling fish should be kept in groups of at least 6, but a bout of ICK wiped out a bunch of them a while back.)
4) 1 SAE
5) 2 ottos (all that's remaining of the 6 I bought almost 2 years ago.)
6) 1 Ancistrus (Bushy Nose) Catfish.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:57 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like it, nice and clean without a lot of equipment clutter Also it fits well into your living room which some people tend to overlook.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Nice... Simple yet elegant. It just looks so classy.
I love the stand and hood, great color. I wish my 46 was like yours. Great start maybe wait a bit for it to grow in and then step back and decide whats' next. Going to a pressuized CO2 system will really get things going as long as you keep those ferts up! How do you get Telenthera to get so red. I have 96w and I can not get any red plant to do well? Other than that I would maybe change out the substrate to eco or similar (I like the look of dark substrates).

Josh

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
I agree its a great tank and very elegant..I cant wait for my tank to start improving like yours Gremmy..I also agree that I like darker substrate too but your natural color gravel works too..

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
looks very nice. where abouts in STL are ya?

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelnek
How do you get Telenthera to get so red.
I've only had that particular plant for about 2 months, so there is no telling whether it will keep its color long term. I thought I would try it because it's supposed to be one of the easier red plants to grow. I've already had to clip it and transplant the tops twice, so it's growing pretty good despite the fact that it's been moved a few times.

So far it's staying nice and red. But there are roots popping out the sides like crazy in the mid/low part of the plant. Maybe I should clip it shorter and transplant it into a bunch and see if I can propogate it that way.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff
looks very nice. where abouts in STL are ya?
St. Charles, actually. You?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Repz
Very nice looking tank
areyou planning on creating a lawn effect of any sort with either Riccia, Glosso or anything to fill up the empty spaces?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repz
Very nice looking tank
areyou planning on creating a lawn effect of any sort with either Riccia, Glosso or anything to fill up the empty spaces?
Yes. With my low light and no c02, I think the only carpet plant I'll be able to grow is echinodorus tennelus (pygmy chain sword). I'm planning to use a mixture of tennelus and anubias to fill in the foreground.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy
Here's a pic of what the tank looks like in my room. This was taken before I redid the aquascape.

I cant get over how nice that room looks. I totally love the colours. Its soooo well put together. God i wish i had my own place to decorate like that!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [RK]
I cant get over how nice that room looks. I totally love the colours. Its soooo well put together. God i wish i had my own place to decorate like that!
Thanks! I planned the room more carefully than I'm planning the tank, and that's saying something. You should have seen it when I planned my deck -- months of research. I'm just retentive that way.

The hard part about planning an aquascape (as opposed to a room or a deck) is that you want it to look natural while maximizing what the human eye has found most pleasing since antiquity. It is a balancing act.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Alright, another 46g bf to add to the site's growing collection. Looking very nice. Well done!

Brian.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
46 bowers.. UNITE!

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode