Spar's New 100g - 30" Tall Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Spar's New 100g - 30" Tall Planted Tank

Finally had some time off work long enough to get this new beast setup! I swayed quite a bit away from my original landscaping plans, but with 30" height, I took what I had time and endurance for. It is still a tad cloudy from my Flourite, but the pictures don't seem to show at as well as the eye does.

Hope you like the new setup!

After setting up the tank, I found a few entries to my lessons-learned box, that I wish I could go back and fix:

1) Lava Rock floats! When using as a border between sand and gravel... oops
2) Rinsing Estes White Sand is not a recommendation, it is a requirement! Still have floaters randomly flying to the top. Oops again.
3) Expect everything to be harder and take longer than originally expected

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Also wanted to ask a question:

In the bottom picture you can see that gravel/flourite is mixing with the sand. Is there an easy tool to sift through it? The tank is too tall to do by hand.

Cliff
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:41 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Looks good, I like it

You could try a sifter that you would use for sugar. Run it through the sand to get the florite out of it. That seems to be the downside of doing a different foreground substrate.... keep it clean of the other substrate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
WOW!..I really like that size tank..Is it just me or is there alot of depth to it?..Maybe it is just the way you aquascaped it..I like how theres a huge looking beach part, then lava rock wall..Thennn theres still a large section of the back tank with flourite..and the tall plants on the left and right leaving the open middle kinda looks like 2 doors opening up and then you see a lovely piece of driftwood behind the "doors"..if you will.. lol great job i like it alot...

Oh ya and I love the light..the blue-ish color really works here..the sand looks nice just be sure to keep it clean.

EDIT: Hey, Bigstick, What part of Maryland are you from..I'm in Baltimore..

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
Also wanted to ask a question:

In the bottom picture you can see that gravel/flourite is mixing with the sand. Is there an easy tool to sift through it? The tank is too tall to do by hand.
If you have a Chinese market nearby you can buy a long handled strainer used for deep frying.

You might need to add a finer mesh if there are too many small Flourite particles slipping through.

óBill

|
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, I love the look of that deep tank. It's really the perfect tank for vals, so you can see them at their full potential. Great work so far!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 PM

2 comments:

I also love the vals. It seems like they aren't as common now as they once were - maybe not 'exotic' enough for most people.

How do you manage to reach the substrate for pruning, arranging, futzing, etc? Are you 7' tall or do you have long forceps, tweezers, & other 'aids'? Do you find this to be a major drawback? I'm asking because I'm planning on a large planted tank and most of them are in the 29-30" tall range.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaiac_boy
2 comments:

I also love the vals. It seems like they aren't as common now as they once were - maybe not 'exotic' enough for most people.

How do you manage to reach the substrate for pruning, arranging, futzing, etc? Are you 7' tall or do you have long forceps, tweezers, & other 'aids'? Do you find this to be a major drawback? I'm asking because I'm planning on a large planted tank and most of them are in the 29-30" tall range.
I find the height to be a major problem. Especially having a bad back. I use long forceps that can be exchanged to have scissors or tongs. I use ladder to get to where I can lean over the top of the tank... i.e. you will probably see a post saying "Spar's new broken neck..." soon :/

The stand it sits on is 42" off the ground, so the entire stand/tank combo is 6' high, and I happen to be exactly 6' tall as well. nice for viewing, IMO.

None of my plants are "exotic" IMO, but they are pretty in my view. I can't wait for the Val to take off and border the entire sidings of the tank!

Cliff
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks good spar...

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaiac_boy
2 comments:

It looks cool SPAR! What kind of fish are in there?

And Guaiac_boy, when I was thinking of getting a deep tank of 30 inches and four foot length, someone on the forum warned me off, saying you spend alot of time "swimming" and such was a PITA. But they look terrific, if you don't mind swimming every time you have to change a plant or scrape some low algae. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
It looks cool SPAR! What kind of fish are in there?

And Guaiac_boy, when I was thinking of getting a deep tank of 30 inches and four foot length, someone on the forum warned me off, saying you spend alot of time "swimming" and such was a PITA. But they look terrific, if you don't mind swimming every time you have to change a plant or scrape some low algae. bob
Finally someone asks so I can show my cool picture I put together

Cliff
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm getting a little concerned about my plants already! Only been 4 days and both my Stargrass and Val appears to be dieing off.

I dose EI (exactly as recommended). Have 2.8wpg (MH/HQI - 150w 2xPC - 130w). Have something like 60ppm co2 through pressurized system. Doesn't make much sense.

Could it just be some kind of new-tank-plant-hating-life-syndrome?

Cliff
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Cool Bosemaniis and other rainbowfish and SAEs! You'll have fun with those Rainbows. My SAE didn't have the yellow like yours!

Maybe the Vals will croak and probably re-emerge. New tank shock etc. Is your water above 7 GH. I'm sure you know Vals like a bit harder water, but they should adjust to moderately soft too. But 60 ppm seems pretty high on the CO2. But I'm a beginner so talk to Buck. He knows vals.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Cool Bosemaniis and other rainbowfish and SAEs! You'll have fun with those Rainbows. My SAE didn't have the yellow like yours!

Maybe the Vals will croak and probably re-emerge. New tank shock etc. Is your water above 7 GH. I'm sure you know Vals like a bit harder water, but they should adjust to moderately soft too. But 60 ppm seems pretty high on the CO2. But I'm a beginner so talk to Buck. He knows vals.
Those pics aren't of my actual fish :/ found them on google pictures search. My SAE's look nice, but don't have that yellow either.

One day when I get better with my camera I will put my actual fish pics on that picture-list.

My GH is 5. Very soft tap water where I am (2 dKH and 5 dGH). The Val was doing fine in these conditions in the tank it was in before. 50g's with the same amount of light (so 5.6wpg).

I will wait it out and see how things go. Can always get more plants.

Cliff
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
My SAE's look nice, but don't have that yellow either.

One day when I get better with my camera I will put my actual fish pics on that picture-list.

My GH is 5. Very soft tap water where I am (2 dKH and 5 dGH). The Val was doing fine in these conditions in the tank it was in before.
I'm confused on the light. 2.8 wpg on the 100 gallon. Should be OK, but it is a deep tank! And the 50 with 5.6 wpg. Vals like alot of light, but the amount of light on the two tanks is not the same??

You probably add some baking soda like I do. I have zero KH/GH on my well water. Do you add any epsom and calcium? But 5dGH is pretty sweet plant water generally. You should be OK and I can see why you will wait it out. I thought I saw yellow stripe on one of the SAE's in your tank pics?? Good luck! bob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode