Fluval Spec V Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec V Iwagumi

Hey,

So yeah, after surviving happily for a month the fish (suddenly) got infested with Ich, and although I tried to treat it I must've been too late. So I decided to completely nuke the tank after hearing lots of horror stories about people re-scaping only to have the Ich come back a few weeks later which meant ripping out my old setup completely (see https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=206097)

Anyway, I decided to go for a more minimalist look and really like the Iwagumi style. I am taking it much more slowly and step by step this time, and have filtered out the good stores from the bad so I know where not to buy plants etc. In fact I may give the tropica 1-2-grow pots a go to avoid pest snails again.

At the moment I've just put the hardscape in and I'm giving it a couple of days to think about it and finalise:

And from an angle (which would look better if the Spec didn't have the annoying silver corner columns):

So yeah, it's just 3 rocks so far (the other 2 I had were too big to create a nice effect). Thinking of going with some low demand carpeting at the front and maybe some 3-10cm plants at the back, keeping with the minimalist style to give the feeling of spaciousness.

Anyway, give me some tips, some suggestions! I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Adding 2 small stones to complete the hardscape something like this:

Please forgive the piss-poor attempt at 'photoshop' using Microsoft paint lol.

Think the smaller stones add more balance what you think?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

I love the iwagumi style. your scape looks great. what kind of substrate are you using? and have you thought of adding some substrate with a finer grain?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, it is a first time for me! I am using the Fluval Shrimp stratum, even though it's probably not the best out there. Should look better when I get some water in and clean the rocks down a bit more and the substrate should compact a little.

People have said it is very messy stuff and breaks apart really easily. I haven't found it to be too bad really, but I haven't got it wet yet!
I am using a thin layer of 'JBL aquabasis plus' nutrient substrate underneath, just to provide an extra nutrient store for the plants.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's how it looks now. Waiting for paintball co2 and 18w t5 next week.

Last edited by Aquaflow; 02-27-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: New video
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks great! What's the plant in the back?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode