Fish Newbs 55gal planted adventure begins... Again! *56k warning* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Talking Fish Newbs 55gal planted adventure begins... Again! *56k warning*

Well I have a 10gallon algae farm that has been building up for months thats been set up since August of this year recently after I received a free 55g from a neighbor who didn't have space for it and got it for free also so they passed it on for me. Well i do have space so thats where it all began...

For a loong time (too long) it sat in my bedroom floor waiting to be used. Then in November I got the stand my dad made for me and put it up. Since then it had been neglected, some time in early Dec. I bought the background and around Labor day I had bought the filter on sale. (its a bit weak I might eventually get a new one... but we will see)

I had been looking around for a good deal on flourite but its winter here and i finally decided I didn't want flourite because I didn't want to spend a WHOLE day washing 6 bags of it! So finally today took the plunge and bought some substrate... a whole bunch of different bags which I had never thought i was going to buy,....

here is what i ended up getting...
2 bags of medium sized aquarium gravel natural color
2 bags of small sized black aqaurium gravel
2 bags of flora base planted aqaurium substrate.

Well I got home and started spreading it out and I ended up not using all the bags. Bought too much. So I ended up having left over one bag of each of the grave so I'll return those two..

First layer was one bag of the medium sized aquarium gravel.
then went in some plant spikes by the name of jobes which I had seen wasserpest use I believe and they were saying that they where safe in all so after I put that layer in I put those all over in a grid pattern. next I covered that with a bag of small black aquarium gravel. Finally, the two bags of the flora base.

After that I got my background out and cut that to size and attached it with some clear packing tape. I didn't want to make a mess doing all the other ways I've heard of. It looks great no bubbles..

So after all that I spent the rest of the night making trips from my room to my bathroom repeated about 50 times with the orange juice jugs (you know those white plasic ones with the handle..? idk how large)

I used a plastic plate that floated while i was adding watter so i never disturbed substte. Which worked well.

After this was all said and done I took a break since I was kinda tired... I walked into my doorway once so I kinda had a hurt foot... (i had two jugs and one was filling while i was pouring one and once and a while I would turn the faucet up to high....)

So thats day one in the 55g setup!

On Tuesday I made an order from Dr.s fosters and smith and ordered these products..

200 watt visi therm steal heater
one coral life digital thermometer on sale! =D (i think that was name ill have to check)
a medium sized glass only mag float also on sale =D
and some other assorted things to bring my order up to $60 so i got free shipping so my order was at $40 so i bought $20 more of merchandise but only paid $10 more

that should be coming around new years.
also today I bought 2 more corries and 3 very small ottos but they will grow quick in my 10g algae farm

There is my clean up crew right away I have to put in

So I hope to get plants in as soon as my dad gets the light fixture made (he wont let me do it he is too picky....)

I might end up making a little box out of 2x4s for the time being so I have my lights by the end of the week lol...

Pictures to come hopefully I'll take and get up tonight or tomorrow be warned though they will be my first tank pics ever... I'm guessing I use image shack to upload? I'll have to see.

Well today was a busy day with lots of surprises lets see how tomorrow turns out..

-Fish Newb
My adventure has begun....

O and I forgot to add the cross support BROKE so my dad rigged up a contraption in the nick of time so the glass didn't break.. luckily I noticed it because the glass was starting to bow out. It was a simple piece thin piece of plywood and two 90degree angle joints. Works great so far. So lets see how this turns out

Some questions I need answered.
Fertilizing I know next to nothing about fert sceduals so I need help there...
Also, I will be have to do diy co2 atm so I already got that figured out...

Last edited by A Hill; 01-21-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd be carefull of that tank fishnewb. 55 gallons is a lot of water. Second hand tanks are alwayse sketchy buisness. Hope everything works out..

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
I'd be carefull of that tank fishnewb. 55 gallons is a lot of water. Second hand tanks are alwayse sketchy buisness. Hope everything works out..
yep i was VERY carefull bt the tank is in great condition besides some scratches on the plastic rims and a few pieces of scotch tape i couldnt get on.. it was made by all glass aquariums and the year was 1994! 11 year old tank i had checked all the salents and made sure the held water already and they where all perfect. the person my neighbor got it from was actually going to throw it out.... so she grabbed it and talked to the guy.. sounded like he had a ton of tanks and needed to get rid of it he told her it did hold water.

but it was in top condition execpt the cross beam was broken but i got that fixed thanks to a contraptoin which i have a picture of

well now im going to attempt to load up my horrible tank pics...

fish newb

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:20 PM

I have a stainless-steel framed tank from 1974 I inherited from my older brother. A virtual antique! But it sprung a leak so I only use the wrought iron stand that came with it now. They don't make stuff like that any more. Maybe I'll get it fixed one day...

Anyway, pics of your setup please! This forum is called the photo album after all you know!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

lol i have a 2g tank like that i got from a teatcher in kindergarten! lol it still holds water too! and the pics are on their way just resized it and now am going to upload..

fish newb

those tanks are the best =D
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

im not sure which one works so im posting both and the direct link if all else fails...

full tank shot lookin good i think no algea yet!

now to see how this one worked and then ill do the other 2

edit- ok its link one!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Talking

and here are the other two with the filter and xsupport

gravel lets see how this works out...

filter on right and the xsupport on left.. and a small piece of drift wood that will sink soon i hope!

and the light brown stuff u see on top of those two gravels in full tank shot is florabase..

Enjoy those are my good shots... now for the horrrible 10g shots but thats a new topic...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

also the light isnt done yet so that means no plants.... well atm im trying to get the ph down since i have EXTREMLY hard water... my heater should be here around monday tuesday so hopefully by next weekend at the latest i will have it started and get some stems in there!

my current idea for the tank scape is this..
the back will have stems and joungle vals.. (i think thats what i want)
midground will have a red tiger lotus or two and anubus coffiolia and nana
foreground will be hair grass mixing with the anubuses i will also have small pieces of driftwood and rocs scattered through covered in moss! what you think?

my "aqautic forcepts" are coming with heater so i cant do any major planting without those.. also probly going to buy some plants off aqua bid like some tubs of moss and stems.. the lfs has hairgrass and some anubus.. as of yesterday

they also got in some REALY nice golden vail angels.. yesterday when i was there one was spawning with marble angel.. so i think im gonna be getting those angels... hopefully if they are still there the problem is they are really over priced... $15! so idk... it might be wearth it it might not be we will see..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:59 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am not sure what your water parameters are - or how you are trying to soften your water. I have been browsing the forum for a while. For the most part, I think I read that 95% or 99% of water is ok. Most water is not that horrid, and most plants are fairly addaptable. Of course perhaps your combination puts you in the 1% club (others just find RO easier to deal with than random tap water), I have a General Hardness of 13, that does not seem to be a problem - other than I do not have to dose certain fertilizers

About the only aggreed on way to soften water I have seen on the board is with an RO water filter. Most water softeners are phosphate based and will mess with various water tests down the road (that is based on memory, which might be failing - it might be how people toy with their ph). One vocal board member said something to the effect that tanks are not chemistery sets.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Yup. Peat will soften water, but takes a long time and adds a brownish tint to the water (but angels love it). The only other good way for planted tanks is to use RO. Regular home water softeners replace the Ca and Mg with very high sodium loads. Not very good for the plants (or fish).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well my water's ph is off the chards im not sure about gh or kh yet im going to test later today.. but my water is extremely hard my test kit's little thing that u put the water up to see the color has blue on it for i believe 13? ill have to check but my water in the test when i used tap turned dark purple....

the flora base is a Mirical worker for me so far the ph is perfect at 6.5-7ph range now to test gh and kh...

my tap water cant be bad because my 10 low mantnece tank with no co2 and only ocaisonal ferts the plants grow great so the water must be good but just hard.. im not sure what the ph in that tank is atm.. but its around 6 i think i used a phdown aqaurium product to help with that and i havent had any bad results so far =D

its not as bad as some peoples where they boil it and get a film around the edge of pot... i dont think... but im pretty sure my water is ok but a bit hard ill have to test more in a while

more pics to come since im going to get some stuff today!
Fish Newb
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Talking

today my dad and i finished the light and put it on the tank. we also took a trip to the lfs "rumford pets" and i went to get some plants.. while we where there i started really looking the plants over and it was very picked over.. i see alot of people out there saying that they will send plant clippings for shipping . so im wondering if anyone is going to be trimming plants soon and would like to help me fill up my tank... drop me a pm if you have extra clippings you would like to get rid of! looking for everything really all will be apreciated unbelivably... wen i was lookin to buy the plants they had 3 stems for $5? thats a total rip... so i purchased a few plants but nothing major yet, pics coming tommmarrow

drop me a pm if you got xtra clippings will be VERY WELL APRECIATED!

fish newb...

also the stems i bought have some eggs on them.. a few are snail eggs which i dont mind since they will help keep algea in check in the begining and are easy to rid of and some are what i believe to be rainbow eggs.. alot of them are covered in fungus but there are a few without fungus will take pics tommarrow and show you guys.. thanks for all the tips and stuff!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I never updated this thread after the tank was filled with water .

Right now I'm taking it down and making way for the next scape and inhabitants and will be keeping a journal.

Here are some pictures over the years of the tank I've got and the last is what it looks like as of yesterday with about 2 pounds of moss taken out.

And here is the tank half full with almost nothing...

Some other shots of inside the tank..

So out with the old, and here comes the new!
-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode