The 3 gallon experiment. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The 3 gallon experiment.

I got bored on a Sunday afternoon so I decided to put something together. It is a 3 gallon rimless tank I got off of kijiji for stupid cheap and it came with a heater too! Everything else I already had laying around, well except for the lighting.

I usually paint the back of my tanks black, but after reading that thread about what color to go, I changed my mind and decided to try something else. SKY BLUE! With the color of the sand it actually looks good I think, and makes me want to be on a beach.

It's lit with a desk lamp from Rona with a CFL 13 watt on a timer. Heater is non-adjustable cheapie from walmart. Filtered with a ZooMed 501.

Now the experiment: I put a layer of this down on the bottom of the tank.

Only one pebble deep and not enough to completely cover the bottom, but LOTS anyway. Put a layer of optisorb on top of that, capped with regular sand from my local gravel pit.

I picked up some plants, as well as thinned out some crypts I had.

There is some crypt wendtii brown I think, the other two species were namelss when I picked them up, and some sagittaria. So besides the bad scaping and the floating sag I'm mostly happy with the tank. Things were just planted on Tuesday which is why everything looks really ragged.

I have been wondering what to put in this tank, not a BETTA!!! I already have a shrimp tank, so I was thinking some microdevario, or a few dwarf cories. Then I did a water test... I wasn't expecting it to be cycled nor am I worried, I can jumpstart with media from another tank. I wasn't expecting the off-the-chart spike in nitrite and nitrate. Guess I'll be holding off on adding fish for a while lol.

My orchids will be happy, but I'll be doing water changes for a while I think. I'll keep this updated with how things go, and how long those spikes last for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been doing water changes, and today I tested the water... A fairly high level of ammonia is now showing up and nitrites and nitrates are still off the chart. I added some biomedia from a different tank, seeing as there is enough ammonia to feed it lol. I also added some salvinia.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So what does it mean when you have off the chart ammonia readings, NO nitrite, and really high nitrates?

Yes, it's water change time. This makes no sense though.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: The 3 gallon experiment.

I'd guess that fertilizer you put in is doing its job. I would check what it actually contains

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode