Another 46g Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another 46g Bowfront

I'm fairly new to planted tanks but I've had a long-time goal of setting up a large 150-200 gal tank for my living room. I'm experimenting with this tank at the moment to figure out what kinds of plants & arangements I like for the upcoming bigger project.

It turns out it was a VERY good idea to gain experience on something smaller. I've been around & around with about every type of algae I've seen described. I think I'm gradually getting the hang of it, but it's taken a lot of trial & error and a lot of web surfing.

I know this tank is full of too many things. I'm planning on much larger groupings and many fewer plant species in the future. I think there are over 30 plant species in the thing right now. But still, even at that, the overall effect is much nicer than anything non-planted.

Details:
Eheim ecco canister filter
pressurized CO2 injected into filter intake currently at 150 bpm
DIY light hood with 8x23 spiral compact fluorescents (5500K) & cooling fan
flourite substrate
KH 4.5, pH average 6.50
EI dosing method with Flourish for TE's

It's interesting to me to go back and see how things have grown in and how different arrangements have looked. I definately like bowfronts since you get a natural large foreground area to work with. They are much harder to photograph well however.

I'm currently in the middle of a green dust algae bloom, but my previous BBA seems to be clearing after much effort, trimming, and a 2 week shot of Excel.

Take a look, any comments are welcomed.

This is Dec 24, 2005:

This is Nov 29, 2005:

This is a view of too many fish. But like I said, I'm experimenting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM

That's definitely a nice tank, and I agree with the experimenting idea, I'm still stuck with a little 10G tank and can't seem to get anything right! What kind of fish do you have in there?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
That's a great looking start! Experimenting is good and you can definitely find out what you can/cannot grow well, and also what you'd like to keep/chunk in the long run. I love those Congo tetras!!

Re-boot!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, congos are quickly becoming my favorite fish. Mine are a bit subdued due to an angel I just couldn't resist but they school nicely and occasionaly really cruise around. They go nuts at feeding time and constantly hit their heads on the cover. Despite that, they have never once bothered my neons or threadfin rainbows.

Total fish count is probably appropriate for a 90 gallon tank, crammed into the 46. The kids love it.

I've definately decided to limit the number of species in my eventual 'big' tank to probably about 5 or 6. Probably about 20 cardinals, 15 rummynose or harlequins, 10 congos, several otos & SAE's and a nice school of small corys. Maybe a little school of marble hatchetfish too. I definately think my current high fish load is contributing to my algae woes. This selection would look better together, be more balanced for the tank, and allow the congos to be the dominant fish. I'll keep a nice smaller planted tank too for angel or ram breeding.

Current count: 6 zebra danios, 5 neon tetras, 3 SAE's, 2 ottos (I think -- they're hard to spot), 1 ram, 3 glass cats, 3 threadfin (werneri) rainbows, 2 bosemani rainbow, 6 congos, 1 cory, and 1 rather large, but mostly peaceful angel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode