please let me know what you think - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
please let me know what you think

Pleae let me know, good or bad. I know the pics aren't the greatest. The tank isn't finished, is it ever?

Thanks

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looks nice, healthy plants, and some thought put into aquascaping.

A symmetrical design can work well, but think about filling in the empty space to the left side of the tank. The isolated island with it's counterpart on the right is what keeps eyes going back and forth.

Maybe a background of some sort...

Have your Angels asked you for a larger tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
A symmetrical design can work well, but think about filling in the empty space to the left side of the tank. The isolated island with it's counterpart on the right is what keeps eyes going back and forth.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Here’s a tank that does a nice job of massing vertical elements. http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest20...sized/AB-1.jpg

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Looks nice, healthy plants, and some thought put into aquascaping.

Maybe a background of some sort...

Have your Angels asked you for a larger tank?
Thanks for the thoughts. The back is painted black, it is just reflecting the wall in the rrom. If you look close you can see I have some short stem plants on the the left side to hopefully fill in that space. There are 8 Angels in there. The two pearlscale laid eggs, so I took the eggs out and raised them to nickel size. Six of them I put back into the tank and they are almost adults now. It is a 55 gallon, they seem to be doing fine. I am working on the riccia to fill in some smaller gaps.
Thanks for the comments!

Scott
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

No other thoughts, ideas?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I actually viewed this as an "asymmetrical" plan. Tho there are 2 "vertical" elements, they are of different plants - hence diff colors and textures. Also, the one on the left is taller and narrower, than the lower, broader one on the R.

Having said that, tho, I agree that the placement is somewhat problemmatic. Most obvious on the right - that clump of java fern is too far to the right IMO. As Wasser says, the eye really doesn't know where to focus, and jumps back and forth. If the fern is on a rock/wood, could it be simply moved to the L. It could possibly be moved all the way L until it adjoined the taller element, giving the impression of a single asymmetrical focal point, placed to the L of center in your tank and gradually sloping off to the R. It is possible that you could create the same effect, even if the 2 were not actually adjoining.

The L element should also go slightly to the R. Can barely see whatever is hiding behind and to the L of it. Rather than a part of the overall scape, that area comes across simply as a corner to be filled in.

Does that make any sense?

Of course, if you move the R element to the L, you would have to figure out what to put to the R of it.

I like the open space in front and center. But with the vertical elements so widely separated, yours strikes me as a little too open. The contrast between the low ground cover and the taller clumps is a little extreme. I think the midground plants you have around the R clump could be used better to tie it all together.

Are you going for the look of a path going over a grassy hill? If so, I appreciate the effort, but I don't think it is my personal preference.

Overall, extremenly healthy plants, and beautiful fish.

Hope this doesn't come across as too critical. Just my inexpert personal thoughts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:11 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
It would be easier for me to get a real feel for the spacing and placement if the picture captured the very edges of the tank. JMO.

I might try reducing the exposure on the camera, too: There appears to be a LOT of light on some portions of the tank.

Also, in the third picture, what is the piece of hardscape behind and to the right of the riccia, and below the java fern?

I think with the stems growing in, the "path" in the middle will be just perfect! good job
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
IMHO I like the size of the masses of plant species. I would thin them out a little bit and put them closer together. IN the middle of them I would put some red plants of your choice to add some contrast to the green. Kind of like an Island with green plant on the left, red in the middle, green on the right. I would then take that eco complete and put it around the island(if you can sperate). On the edge of the eco but in the florite plant that ricca. Im a noob to planted but this is how invision this tank. I love the mass of java fern by the way

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

My two cents?

This could easily be made into a clasic Amano V (or is it U?) shape. There are many examples on the Web if you look (EDIT: Actually, there aren't, as I can't seem to locate a good sample photo anywhere on the Web). The solution is to enlarge the L group all the way to the L side of the tank, in an uphill fashion. Leave the gap between the L and R features. Grow the R mass so it's closer to L. Then, connect L and R with an arch-shaped piece of driftwood. It's classic Amano. He uses the V layout more than any other.

The space inbetween L and R will draw the eye along he path toward the back wall of the aquarium, so it should follow the golden ratio (3/5; 2/5). The arch-shaped piece of driftwood moves the eye easily from one mound to the next.

In my humble opinion, this is the most interesting Amano design type, but it only recommended if the aquarium will be viewed primarily from the front and not from the side.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
IMHO I like the size of the masses of plant species. I would thin them out a little bit and put them closer together. IN the middle of them I would put some red plants of your choice to add some contrast to the green. Kind of like an Island with green plant on the left, red in the middle, green on the right. I would then take that eco complete and put it around the island(if you can sperate). On the edge of the eco but in the florite plant that ricca. Im a noob to planted but this is how invision this tank. I love the mass of java fern by the way
This could work too, and is more in line with Amano's island concept instead of the U shape I recommended.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

I finally found an example of the U shape that I think would work very well for this aquascape. I found the example here in our own forum.

See the pic on this page:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=1220&page=48
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Also, in the third picture, what is the piece of hardscape behind and to the right of the riccia, and below the java fern?
That is a long rock that has some algae growing on it.

Scott

Last edited by ScottMorris; 01-08-2006 at 12:27 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Wow, you guys are brutal. I honestly was quite proud of the tank. Didn't think it looked that bad. Guess it's back to the drawing board.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Scott
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 AM

Honestly, I think your tank looks great. IF you want to add more, then add to the middle-left.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 02:19 AM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Get a load of this guy! First he's begging for input, and then he's whining about what we offer!

Man, you're being too sensitive.
Everything we're talking about is just tweaking.
You've shown you can grow healthy plants, and you've got some neat things working there.
And yes, you have a very nice looking tank.
That is obvious to anyone.

If you were still in plantedtank pre-school, I'm sure our comments would be far milder - less challenging.
But you are several levels beyond that.
A tweak here, a nudge there, and your tank will be a serious showpiece.

Of course, all we are offering is our opinions.
We could all be wrong!
And in the end, the only person who needs to be happy with your tank is yourself.

Besides, we have to make sure you have a reason to get your arms wet playing in the water!

Keep the pictures coming.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode