30g bowfront aquarium (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
30g bowfront aquarium (56K warning)

Well, I originally set up my planted tank in 2002, but after the birth of our two children, they took priority so my tank got a bit neglected. Anyhow, since the 7th or so of December, I decided to completely rescape my tank. I ripped out the large amount of java fern, anubias (leaves coated in nasty black/red algae), and crypt. Then, I got a case of 'collectoritis' and visited the local fish store to get a bunch of new plants over the past few weeks: Eleocharis montevidensis, Echinodorus tenellus, Rotala indica, Tonina fluvitalis, Nymphaea lotus, some kind of moss, Bacopa caroliniana, Cardamine lyrata, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Blyxa japonica, Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Alternanthera reineckii?, Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'?, Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'.

It's still pretty sparse, but the plants are growing in quickly. I'm looking forward to the hairgrass in the background to grow in and hide some of the hardware. As well, the pygmy chain sword in the foreground should make a nice carpet once it fills in.

I also purchased a large piece of iron wood, and place a large wad of moss on it. I think that the driftwood looks a bit over bearing... I may try to push it into a corner.

Specs: 30g tank, 4 aqualights (28Wx4), pressurized CO2 injection, daily PMDD (0.5 mL), daily Flourish Excel (5 mL), Flourish phosphate as needed. Inhabitants: 2 angel fish, 15 white cloud montain minnows, 2 corys, 6 nerite snails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aqua-dec-25-05.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2122  

Name:	dec29-05 no2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2123  

Last edited by Stan the Man; 01-02-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

I know the picture looks blurry (I'm going to have to improve my photography skills), and the tank still looks spare. As the plants grow in, I'll be aquascaping to make things look a bit more tidier and balanced.

If I had a choice in terms of aquariums to start with, I think I would now choose either a corner bowfront, or a 48" long. I find that my bowfront is a bit too deep and has too little surface area.

I'll post pics as things progress.

Please post any suggestions or questions that you may have.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
good looking tank.................
but the Eleocharis montevidensis will get to tall for this tank.....
im still trying to find out about triming ..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I decided to move the wood into the corner, since it was visually overpowering the tank. I removed the main mass of moss that was previously on the wood, and placed it lower down, although I'm not sure if it looks quite right here either. There are a few residual pieces of moss on the wood, and hopefully it'll cover the wood as it grows in.

I also added two stones into the center of the tank. Once again, not sure if I like their positioning. I placed them there to visually separate the foreground plants from the background plants. I put my lotus in between the rocks. Unfortunately with photography, I can't really depict the 3D nature of how the aquarium actually appears.

The background plants (rotala indica, cardamine, sunset hygro) are really taking off. The sunset hygro will soon hide the CO2 reactor and filter intake pipe, which is a good thing.

The micro sword in the foreground is beginning to cover up the gravel, and I'm hoping that it'll make a nice looking, low maintenance lawn.

I also bought an algae ball (marimo) today for fun. It is already pearling like crazy.

Please let me know of any suggestions / comments that you may have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dec29-05.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2124  

Name:	marimo ball.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2125  

Last edited by Stan the Man; 01-02-2006 at 10:33 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
tank looks great! the moss is a bit overpowering what about splitting it up so u put like half of it on the wood and haf of it around the rocks? i actually like the rocks there once ur stems grow taller i bet it will look ALOT better.. maybe you should just wait a little bit and see how it looks,... i think i read somewhere maybe in a post about amonos teqniuqes that once a planted tank is first planted you shouldnt toutch it for a month.. at all let all the plants grow out so you really know what your working with i guess... ill be doing that with my 55g but i will have the initial scape and then change things here and there but i dont blame you for moving the drift wood it looks REALLY good there in the front it was overpowering my guess is that over time the rocks and drift wood will really start to blend in with moss on them...

as for what type of moss... it looks similer to xmas moss but the fonds arent all triangular.. most likely java moss though... can we get a close up pic of it if i cant id it i know some of the moss craazy people in the forum can!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:05 AM

Your angelfish will grow to big for your aquarium.

Nice looking aquarium, other than that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Hi Fish Newb,

I like your suggestion re: placement of the moss. So I tied a wad of it to a stone, and moved the majority of it to the back of the tank for now. I may harvest more of the moss and tie it down to the other rock. I can't believe how quickly the moss is growing. I may have to start throwing out large hunks of it on a weekly basis, because there's no place to put the excess in my tank.
As for the type of moss, I've posted a pic of it. Hopefully it'll be close-up enough (no macro lens on our camera). I purchased this moss originally attached to a stick of bamboo, which my LFS had received from Singapore.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dec29-05 no2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2126  

Name:	unknown moss.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	2127  

Last edited by Stan the Man; 01-02-2006 at 10:34 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfishcrazy11
Your angelfish will grow to big for your aquarium.

Nice looking aquarium, other than that.
Hi Goldfishcrazy11. Thanks for the post. Yes, I've been actively trying to decrease my fishload (which I think was largely responsible for my trouble with black/red algae in my tank prior to the partial teardown). Anyhow, I've already removed 4 clown loaches, 2 large SAE, and 1 angel fish. I'm trying to remove the remaining 2 angel fish (they've been in my tank for ~3 years now!), however my wife threatened to leave me if I get rid of these last two angel fish. I'd ideally like to just have the white cloud minnows, since they're more proportioned to the aquascape. The angels just keep growing bigger and bigger...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 AM

O honey? i looks like the angel fish went carpet surfing! Guess their dead, by the way, i'm going to the LFS, don't mind the bag of water with fish in it, they aren't angel fish.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

tank update

I managed to transfer the remaining two angel fish to the LFS. They were way too big, and made the aquascape look small. My bioload has decreased substantially as a result of removing them. Prior to their removal, my nitrates hovered around 15 ppm, and within a day of removing them, my nitrates were about 5-7 ppm. I'm going to have to increase my nitrate supplementation considerably. I'm currently using the PMDD recipe by Conlins-Sears, but will have to modify this by doubling or tripling the amount of KNO3 in it. An interesting thing I noted is that my plants have started pearling like crazy. I think that my angel fish were using up a considerable amount of the oxygen through respiration, and preventing the water from getting supersaturated with oxygen.

I also added an old piece of mopani which I've tied moss to (you can see the fishing line), and within a couple of weeks, it'll grow in nicely. I'm trying to create a wood-covered mossy hill of sorts. The micro tenellus continues to grow in nicely. Still waiting patiently for the hairgrass in the background to grow in and obscure the filter spray bar. The hairgrass has really taken its slow sweet time; it first had to shed the majority of its stems from its emersersed form. I've tried to help it out a bit by placing some Sera plant tabs at the base of it. At least the sunset hygro and cardamine have grown in nicely and largely obscure the CO2 reactor. My tonina is slowly melting away, and I attribute this to the lack of acidic substrate (I'm using Flourite:gravel mix) and hard water.

My filter feeding shrimp (see centre of tank pic and closeup pic) has decided that it likes to sit in the current coming from the power head, sweeping up tasty bits of food with its fan 'hands'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jan09-06.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2162  

Name:	jan09-06-shrimp.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2163  

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Well here's an update on my tank. I've cut back the Cardamine quite a bit since it was at risk of swamping out the surrounding plants. The sunset hygro (right, background) requires purning every few days, and as you can see in this pic, needs another pruning. I also added a couple of small bunches of anubias nana and tied them to the wood just off centre. As well, I put an anubias hastifolia in the background. Still waiting for the hairgrass in the background to fill in... I'm sure it'll be awhile. I inserted a Sera plant tab into the substrate below the hairgrass, in the hopes that it'll jump start its growth. My tonina is barely hanging on (see extreme left side, foreground); I don't have acidic substrate, which I've heard is necessary for proper growth.

The micro sword continues to fill in the foreground. I've taken the liberty of removing the runners and plantlets that are sent off every few days. I read that doing so encourages the micro sword to grow in more bushy. We'll see. The blyxa japonica is also growing nicely (hard to see in this pic; it's on the extreme right side of the tank, behind the micro sword). My wife suggested planting the entire foreground with blyxa instead of micro sword... an interesting possibility.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30g jan19-06.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	2257  

Last edited by Stan the Man; 01-20-2006 at 02:17 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Looks really nice just wait for everything to fill in and go from there. I like the moss around the tank also, good stuff!

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to joestreich
tank looks great to me.....love the shrimp
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. I just added some new plants, since LFS had a new shipment from Singapore. I added a clump of Blyxa alternifolius to fill out the background. This Blyxa looks exactly like a large version of Blyxa Japonica. The nice thing is that it propagates via plantlets, and not runners like Vals. So it should be easier to remove excess growth.

My tank lacked reds. My sunset hygro is mostly green, with the red seen only on the new growth. So, I was happy to find some nice red plants to add: Ludwigia arcuata, and Rotala wallichi (left and right side of tank, respectively). Not only do they add a nice contrast in terms of colour, but the shape of their tiny leaves are a nice addition.

I finally got my hands on two pots of Hemianthus micranthemoides (Tropica). I planted one pot in the foreground (in front of the rock, almost impossible to see in this pic). I cleared out a region for it to grow. If it grows well, then I may remove more of the micro sword to provide room for it to grow in the foreground. I've planted the other pot in my nano tank (1.5 gallon), which doesn't have CO2 (using Flourish Excel instead), so we'll see how it does there as well.

Also planted a pot of Hydrocotyle sibthorpiodes (maritima), from Tropica, in the foreground (to the right of the rock). I heard that this plant stays pretty low, and grows fairly slow. It looks like a mini version of my cardamine. However, my cardamine grows like a weed and constantly needs to be pruned back.

I'm realizing how ugly my mini vortex CO2 reactor looks in my tank, however it is so good at dissolving CO2. I may consider replacing it with a sintered glass diffuser, which is much smaller and easier to hide in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30g jan21-06.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2263  

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Looks good. 30 bows are kind of hard to scape well since the footprint isn't too big. I think you'll like the Hemianthus micranthemoides once it grows in a bit. The leaf size complements small tanks well and will contrast well with the bigger stuff.

You clearly have a case of collectoritis. Nothing wrong with that - its kind of fun to experiment & see what works. Any long-term, big-picture type changes in mind to the 'scape. I'd suggest larger groupings of fewer species, but that's just me. My tank looks exactly the same as yours so I don't listen to my own advice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode