My 46G Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 46G Bowfront

Just thought I'd post a link where you can view a pic of my 46G bowfront. It's not a very good picture. Sorry about that.

I'm interested in your feedback.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/john.p...=/9357&.src=ph

Last edited by gremmy; 12-27-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
Really nice tank Gremmy..May I ask what you'r tank specifications are. I'm really interested considering I am trying to upgrade my lighting and c02 for my newly planted 46 gal bowfront..

Also, the right side of you'r tank is a bit empty and the one tall red plant on the left side of the tank looks a bit out of place so maybe you could move that red plant a bit to the right so it blends in more..Just a thought, though!

Cheers...

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback!

My specs:

Tank: 46g bowfront
Light: 96 Watt Power Compact Flourescent (a tad over 2 watts gallon)
Substrate: Some sort of flourite based gravel
Co2: None, which is I why I'm growing undemanding plants and why I haven't increased my light.
Water temp: 76 deg.
Filtration: Rena Filstar xp3 with no chemical media, but plenty of biological and mechanical.
Fertilization: I just put some liquid ferts in the water column every now and then -- that's about it.

With this layout, I'm trying to go for Amano's triangle layout, which is supposed to be high on one side and low on the other. The triangle layout is ideal if you want your tank to be viewable from two sides (the low side and the front). In this case, the low side faces a sofa, so having only low plants on that side provides a clear line of sight from the sofa all the way to the far side of the tank.

The triangle layout is tricky because it is designed to be unbalanced. Also, that jungle val in the far back/left of the tank needs to grow in more to complete the triangle, and I think it would help if the chain sword on the right side would propogate a little bit. The placement of the red plant is supposed to coincide with the golden-ratio, which Amano uses. The tank looks really beautiful to me when I look at it, but it's really difficult for me to capture that beauty in a photograph -- my camera sucks and I'm no photographer.

But I do think we can see some things by looking at the photo, and all feedback is appreciated.

Perhaps someone with some experience with Amano's triangle can offer some suggestions?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added some more pics at the link. They are still not very good... Doing my best.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/john.p...=/9357&.src=ph
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy
I added some more pics at the link. They are still not very good... Doing my best.
I disagree, those are very nice photos, much better than average . Quite a lovely whole-room shot, too. Nice to see another 46g bow on the forum. Bowfronts get a bad rap sometimes, but I find them stylish

Sorry I can't help you with the triangle stuff.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
I disagree, those are very nice photos, much better than average . Quite a lovely whole-room shot, too. Nice to see another 46g bow on the forum. Bowfronts get a bad rap sometimes, but I find them stylish

Sorry I can't help you with the triangle stuff.
Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added some new pics at the link above. Took out some of the old ones. I think I'm getting better with the camera, but clearly no pro.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm just not sure what to do with this aquascape at this point.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree that youíre doing a nice job on the photography. You might try shooting in a completely darkened room with no flash. Iíd use tripod and set the shutter for a delay so your trigger finger doesnít move the camera, which can cause blur. If you donít have a tripod, a small table (or TV tray) works too, with books for height adjustment.

I like the massing of your plants. The one thing that jumps out is the wood, which dominates the middle of the composition somewhat, but that may diminish as your plants continue to grow in. If not, you could try burying it some, which would also look a little more natural.

Can you give us a plant species rundown?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestion. I too have been thinking that the wood is a bit too much. Other than burying it, I'm not sure what other options I have. Maybe I could find a couple of medium sized rocks to grow some moss on?

Plants:

Java Fern
Java Moss
Chain Sword
Telenthera
Two species of crypt: Wendtii and something else?
Jungle Vals
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Planted Member

Thanks for sharing! I have a new-to-me 46g bf that I am trying to grow in. I love seeing other's tanks for ideas!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 PM

thats a sweet looking tank. and my god i love the look of your living room! colours are soooo nice. i want!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode