What are big brothers for? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What are big brothers for?

Well, due to the loss of my dwarf puffers, and due to my little 10gal planted tank being overrun with relentless hair algae, I decided it was time to break my tank down. Did I throw away the plants? No. I gave them to my younger sister who has a 55gal tank which, at the time, only had some sad excuses for plants in there - my rejects :p She had an anubias v. nana barteri which was NOT what I purchased but the online vendor didnt want to refund me so I said oh well. She also had a handful of amazon sword plants as well.

NOW: She has a nice show piece of driftwood with a medium sized anubias v. nana and a medium sized piece of java fern on it. Theres also another small piece of driftwood with anubias v. nana on it. Also added were another handful of amazon sword plants (her angelfish love the amazon sword forest that we've created) and a few bunches of Crypt Lutea.

But since this is the "Photo Album" I suppose its about time for some pictures, no?

The two pieces on the left are the ones I described above.

The amazon sword forest is growing in. This picture is a little old (about 20 days) and things have filled in a little better. You can probably tell which two plants I had just purchased. :p

This is the Anubias V. Nana Barteri I was sold incorrectly. I had ordered Anubias v. Nana, and when I recieved this mammoth of a plant, I quickly realized it wasnt the small plant I was anticipating, but it was too nice to just throw out.

And heres a closeup of the flower (I believe). Its been like this for about a month now. And yes - we have a snail problem. We're slowly but surely gaining the upperhand on the little buggers. Also note that the hair algae you see here has been eliminated. Just a few traces that need to be removed and we'll be hair algae free.

As for filtration - we have a HOT magnum, and thats it. After going nuts on filtration for our marine tank(s) we decided to go low-tech (or rather, low equipment) on this tank. As for fish - there are the two angels, one large regular pleco, a rubberlipped pleco, two ottos, two platties, three bloodfin tetras, a neon, and 5 cory cats. Lighting is 80W of NO Flourescent bulbs. I'm not looking for crazy growth out of this tank as its in my sister's room (and her tank technically) because I am away at school and only home about every other weekend or so. My time is limited enough without having to worry about trimming plants back :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:18 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Beautiful Anubias , I wish mine were not cover with green spot algae like that . Those tall plants in the backgrounds are "brazillian swords" right? Get some amano shrimps or Siamese Algae Fish and those hair algae will be a salad bar.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Aw come on...you can zap the hair algae off that anubias real quick...either hydrogen peroxide (search that method...I haven't used it), but I have used a 1:19 bleach:water solution as a dip for about 2 minutes...or until you see the algae turn white/pink. It will recover nice. Such a pretty full plant

Re-boot!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanaqua
Beautiful Anubias , I wish mine were not cover with green spot algae like that . Those tall plants in the backgrounds are "brazillian swords" right? Get some amano shrimps or Siamese Algae Fish and those hair algae will be a salad bar.
Thanks! At first, I was really POed when I recieved that plant. I had ordered an anubias v. nana online, giving the company a second chance as I'd had a poor order prior. The plant was to be the final piece in my 10gal dwarf puffer tank. Well - needless to say, it was much to large for a foreground plant in a 10gal tank, so I tied it to a piece of driftwood and gave it to my sister for her tank. The flower came later :p Well - she's pretty happy, as am I, considering now all of the plants from the 10gal are in there.

As to the ones in the background - on the right? The taller ones, I have been told, are amazon sword plants grown out of the water. All of them start like that, and then after a while they lose those leaves and get the longer pointier leaves as the surrounding ones. They are all amazon swords though - the taller ones are just recent additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
Aw come on...you can zap the hair algae off that anubias real quick...either hydrogen peroxide (search that method...I haven't used it), but I have used a 1:19 bleach:water solution as a dip for about 2 minutes...or until you see the algae turn white/pink. It will recover nice. Such a pretty full plant
WOW! I have never heard of that. Fortunately the algae has nearly gone away, as I'd be somewhat nervous disturbing the plants. But thanks - I'll have to remember that for the future.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

some of those "sword plants" (the "Brazillian Sword") are terrestrial and will die in water, sorry.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks
some of those "sword plants" (the "Brazillian Sword") are terrestrial and will die in water, sorry.
For what its worth - I've had the smaller ones for about a year now. They all started off the same as the taller ones. All from PetsMart. I may be mistaken, but if they were the terrestrial ones, would they not have died by now?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 08:19 PM

PTrader: (27/100%)
The last for a very long time, maybe a year even.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Wahoo! The angelfish have spawned. We are sure that one is female, the other.... well, we are pretty sure she's femal as well, but who knows. They've spawned before, but nothing came of it - all of the eggs were gone within 2-3 days. But it was worth the picture session.

Here's the mom who spent quite a bit of time fanning the eggs and defending the territory.

And here's the angel of unknown gender :p Like I said, we're fairly sure that its a female, but again, who knows.

And here is the eggs. The picture is sideways - just FYI - and that is the filter intake for the HOT Magnum on the back of the tank.

The large pleco (Mr. Big) likes digging up the new sword plants and letting the float around, however, we diligently replant them, and repeat. Oh well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode