The beginning of my xmas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
The beginning of my xmas

Well, after seeing how everyone up in San Francisco was talking about Aqua Forest, I decided to drive up there and take a look for myself and get some ADA stuff too. I bought out most of the rocks that day(sorry if I bought the rocks you wanted..) I couldn't help myself. Now my backyard collection of "Amano rocks" has piled up more. The rocks costed a lot but it was worth it.

Don't fret, I will soon be clearing out my collection of rocks.

Comments? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought the Seiryu and Ohko rocks at 3.99 per pound if I remember correctly, I was also looking for Manten rocks but it was empty. It seems like they have raised the price, maybe due to high demand? Was is 1.99 mike? The story was top quality, rare fish/plants, finally a lfs that deals with rarer fishes like boraras and darios. The prices were high but I was willing to pay. ADA stuff all over and rare plants. Their show tanks were also nice. Go pay them a visit, more rocks will come in January according to them, hope you guys beat me to buying them out . I spent around 100$.. early xmas for me. Well here's the rocks in the tank, now try to imagine white sand, Aqua soil Amazonia, 12 Red Axelrod Rasbora (everyone loves my current cardinals so I might not be able to swap them), an Eheim 2213 with ADA lily pipes, inline heater(?), taiwan moss and bits of hc, and weekly dosing of ADA liquid ferts. I might do diy co2 under the 28 watt coralife fixture(thanks to bigals free shipping).

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Not bad, those types of layouts are becoming alot attractive lately ... magicmagni has the layout that I like ... assuming you will be doing the same thing?

How many tanks do you have? you've been posting some really neat projects lately ...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have one too many tanks, I am still deciding wheter or not to make a full investment on this tank and sell the rest except my 1g, but my mom likes all my tanks so I'm stuck and shes not helping me finacially. My initial intend was to have the two sides connects to create one mountain scape, but seeing how a valley in the middle makes it a bit more attractive I stuck with this layout.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
C3.. You sunk my battleship!

Oh, sorry. What's the grid for in the last picture?

Nice start, love the rocks.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
He's using the grid to find the 'golden triangle' for his layout. I think he might need more substrate to pull it off. He might have to make the pile higher on the left to give it the weight he's striving for.

I'm just guessing since he hasn't told us what plants he's thinking about using in there.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The substrate will be higher, just didn't have enough to start with, but I wanted to see how the rocks would look in the tank. The plants will be simple because I'm not home often, taiwan moss and bits of left over hc that I have since this tank will only have a 28 watt fixture over it.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Very nice turtlehead. Excelent purchase and nice hardscape placement. Aqua Forest is my lfs. In fact walking by there in July about a week after they opened is what brought to my attention that you can have more that just plastic plants in a fish tank. I hung out there for about an hour everyweekend asking questions and just gawking for a couple of months before I started making purchases. The family who own the store a super nice people and very helpful. With my upcoming 8 gallon Nano project they are sure to get a couple of hundred bucks more.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
where is this "Aqua Forest" shop,I wanna check it out ^_^
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

San Francisco Filmore street it's pretty close to Chinatown.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
IMO, the first setup with the Seiryu stone looks better; especially with all the smaller rocks "pointing" towards the focal rock. I would just remove those really small rock chips. Are you going for the "grassy-moss plain" on this one? BTW, do you find that the Ohko crumbles easily?

Regarding Aqua Forest; How big is the typical rock per pound? Last time I asked him he told me it was 1 4"x4" rock per pound. I find it great you decided to help out the 'small guys', especially with the effort he put into making it a success.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
congrats ...

this is going to look very nice .....

i really like the layout ... did you also get the clear lily pipes? ... if so, was it from this same shop and how much were they? ...

how do you get the lines accross the pic ... what program do you use to do that?

regards
aussietanker

33 US G (125L) ------ Aqua-One 620 Tall - L: 24" (60cm), W: 14" (36cm), D: 24" (60cm) ; Modified Hood with 2 x GE 55W 21" AquaRays (9325 K) under AH Supply Reflectors; Fluval 304 Canister Filter;Substrate = 2" JBL AquaBasis Plus nutrient ground cover + 2" of 50% mix of Flourite & Onxy Sand ; JBL ProFlora Pressurized CO2 + REXX DIY CO2 Reactor; Hydor 300W Inline Heater @ 26C/79F;Fish = 2 x SAE; 2 x Clown Loaches; 15 x Cardinal Tetras; 2 x Orange Angels
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Raul thanks, it's going to be taiwan moss for low maintaince with hc. Aussie I used Adobe photoshop.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Aqua Forest Aquarium is at 1718 Fillmore street. The cross street is Post St. and it's next to Japantown. Chinatown is several miles away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode