medicineman's natural 15 gal tank update 04/07/06 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
medicineman's natural 15 gal tank update 04/07/06

Hi all.

While waiting for the 260 gal to settle in some more and a new 250 gal coming in a day or two, lets take a look at some hengel's rasbora inside my 15 gal quarantine tank.

There are around 50 hengel's rasbora and I love how they school despite the small space.

Substrate is black volcanic gravel. Lighting is sunlight (non direct via transparent canopy). No filtration. Aerated all day through air stone under the gravel. I tuck in some plants just to make them at home. There are java fern, cryptocorine and anubias.

I'm sure the rasboras will be a nice addition inside my next tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by medicineman; 04-07-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I love the 40 or so hengelis in my 125g tank—even though I was hoping to get espeis when my LFS placed the order for me (the wholesaler only listed them as Harlequin Rasbora, Narrow Wedge). But now, after nearly a year they are all very fat and happy and continue to school like sardines.

—Bill

|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well espeis are slightly bigger and they are from Thailand. Hengelis are smaller and are from Indonesia (Borneo and Sumatra). I think the espeis have a slightly better appearance, more like the harlequin. But it is soooo dificult to find harlequin right here (which is a sad thing because harlequin is also can be found naturally in Indonesia)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, I liked the espeis because they have more color in their body, but I've grown to like the orange streak on the hengelis, too. The espeis seem to be coming in to the fish stores as much as the hengelis now, but I don't want to mix the two together.

—Bill

|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Can't really tell by looking at this picture since fish are a little small but there is a lot of confusion when it comes to rasboras (hengeli , espei) and few other which look very much alike.

Here is espei in its fully glorry

Regards,
Jay from

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

…compared to a T. hengeli

—Bill

|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The tank is self sustainable enough so far, and you can see than it is almost four months old with nothing but natural supplement. No lighting, no CO2, no filtration... even no more of that air stone stuff for the last two months. Inhabitants are 11 hengeli rasboras, one tiny SAE that grows very slow (... that is how all SAE supposed to be... remain tiny forever for good sake) and one shrimp. All I did is weekly water changes and very, very little and sparse fertilization. Feeding is at most once a day.

Today I decided something must be done to the tank, especially when looking at the thin substrate. Moved everything into a huge bucket, and drain all the water. After some cleaning, I took some of the substrate from the bottom most of my old substrate of 260 gallon (which is rich in JBL fertilizer), put it right on the base and cover up with coarser volcanic gravel (decided to give that gravel a second chance, anyway to grow non-stem plants it proved to be just OK, the only problem is that it is too light). It was a fun, easy job compared to the monster 260 gallon....

No fancy scaping for now as I did not shop and use whatever I can find around my koi pond. Surprisingly all the old plants from that tank (low light ones) did good enough. I'm thinking about getting more taiwan moss from my friend... so I can stuff some cherry shrimp as well.

It is so nice when you have the control over natural elements, even though the result is limited ... (ask diana for the joy)

I will update a pic after things get clear enough and fish goes in.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok.. here it is. Its clear and all the inhabitants are in. It is a happy, no maintenance tank (except for daily feeding and weekly WC and once a week fert, given sparsely)

A pack of Rasbora Hengeli and one SAE

The tank is by the side of my pond. A bonsai planted in a pot on the background

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode