Aquascape in progress - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquascape in progress

Had some time on my hands so I decided to redo my 10 Gallon "quarantine" tank. Wanted to try some rock arrangements and also simulate a grassy field.

Hardware: Aquaclear HOB filter, no C02 (maybe a mini pressurized Co2 system later) 2 screw in 20W department store "energy savers bulbs", Eco-complete/ Flourite substrate.

Plants: So far mostly hairgrass, but there are a few Riccia stones in there to vary the texture a bit. Also a few plantlets of Echinodorus Tenellus. Still to add glosso or HC depending on what I can get my hands on.

Fish: Half a dozen cherry red shrimp, 5 Rasboras, 3 panda cory cats, 1 oto cat.

Setting it up.... Step 1

Step 2....

Step 3... No filter yet so it's a little cloudy

Step 4... All cleared up fish added. That's it for now. Just some more foreground plants to add later.

Last edited by magicmagni; 06-18-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Wow not bad of a scape, it looks fantastic!
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Looks nice!!! I am always amazed to see small tanks with a neat aquascape. I will be doing two 5 gals. for some bettas very soon. Will use your tank for inspiration!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! This was a fun tank to set up. I never really worked with rocks to this extent before, but I just studied other folks tanks as well as some from Nature Aquarium World book 1 and the went for it. The hardest thing for me when doing this scape was restraining myself from putting more types of plants and fish, but now that I look at it I am really happy with the results.

Here is an updated picture with the foreground planted with some Glosso that I picked up from the plant swap today. Hopefully there is enough light for them, but not too much that it becomes invasive.

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
sweet! nice layout Jeff. Cant wait till the co2 system is set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Are you putting in any background plants? Looks great thus far but I would use a few vals or something like that for the back.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Marc. I'm gonna post some pics of the co2 system when I get it set up. Can't wait to start playing around with it.

mrbelvedere138: On this tank there will not be any background plants. I wanted to simulate an open field, although the thought of using Cyperus helferi (val like plant) in the back corners did cross my mind. I tried it out, but decided it threw off the scale of the tank. It seemed to make the tank feel smaller than it was and I wanted it to look bigger than it was so I decided to utilize more open space to accomplish this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 PM

Excellent layout! I've got an extra 10G and a 5G just sitting with nothing in them. Perhaps it's time to get them going with something like this.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like that mix of the two substrates!
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just got a new toy from a brown truck today. I pieced together a "nano Co2" system for the tank. It is a pressurized system that uses disposable Cartridges. It is almost identical to the system ADA sells, but less expensive. Here's a pic

And a link to the thread that got me interresting in this (thanks Marc)

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...0684#post80684
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thats awesome! How long would something like that last?
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
SWEET! Jeff, nice job. what bubble rate were you able to set the valve to?

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Gack.. teeny weenie bottle for nano tanks.... how cute. I never know such thing exsisted and that regulator to fits. I hope it can last 1 month or otherwise back to DIY or the bigger fella.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We'll see how long it lasts. I'm hoping a couple of months at least. Note that I did loose a little Co2 when setting up. Due to a leaky solenoid vavle, but I don't think that it's enough to make much of a difference.

Marc: The lowest I've tried is 2 bubbles a minute, but I am now up to 4 bubbles a minute.

I've never used a diffuser before, but for some reason I thought that it would put out a finer mist. Most of the bubbles come out of only one spot on the disk and float right to the top. I would have thought they would float around the tank more. It's brand new so I don't think it could be clogged yet. Anyways going to fine tune the bubble rate over the next few days to dial it in.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did get the Co2 situation stable for now. I was having problems with the solenoid leaking so I removed it a few days after initial setup so I'm injecting C02 24/7 for now at a bubble rate of 1 per second. I also removed the diffuser because it wasn't working well. I've always had good luck with powered reactors so I decided to try one of those Venturi Reactors that Tom Barr designed. The whole setup has been running "dialed in" and untouched for the last 10 days. Co2 pressure still holding steady.

Here's a pic of the one I built:

It's working extremely well. It distributes minutely small C02 "mini bubbles" throughout the tank that flow in the current of the tank and settle on the leaves of the plants. These are smaller than any diffuser that I've seen in action and the nice thing is that it needs virtually no maintenance in comparison to a diffuser.

It's powered with this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...5&N=2006+22768
It is the one on top of the page. It is smaller than any power head measures approximately 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" and has an adjustable flow rate of up to 60 gal/hr. A nice feature is that it has suction cups to attach it to the glass and it can also run for 30 days dry before failure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode